• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Was at the Easton gunshow all weekend. While walking around this morning I overheard a man say something about selling Garands for 500 bucks a piece. Low and behold, when I asked him if I heard correctly he showed me two Garands. He said he was asking 800 each, but wanted them to sell and would take 1k for the pair. I picked up the first one and saw Winchester receiver and correct bolt. Needless to say I jumped. The other was a SA, and my friend who was with me took that one. We even got four bandoleers of ammo and clips with each rifle. I think we did rather well ;) Now I am going over my rifle and debating on changing out all the SA parts that have been put on it over the years, and trying to make it as correct as possible. I don't have an erosion gauge, but I think the barrel is ok and it is a Danish VAR. I hear these are good shooting barrels and something the CMP buyers look for. I am rather new to the Garand world, so if anyone can offer any info I would appreciate it.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Here she is. The stock isn't the greatest, but the other parts look real good. At worst case scenario I should have a good shooter.
    IMG_1545.jpg

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Very nice!
    I know nothing about the Garand other than some of the history. They are great looking rifles. May ahve to look at geting one sometime.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Is the SN 6 or 7 digits?

I found a Korean era last month in PA with a 7 digit number.

It's 7 digits. I found a break down of serial numbers Fulton Armory published online, and it is saying the June of 1944. From what I gather from my research so far, Winchester only built Garands until the summer of 1945.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have been wanting a Garand for a loooooong time. I was just waiting for the right deal, and it finally came. Now I would really like to restore it to a cherry condition period correct rifle. I don't want to spend a fortune, but would like it to eventually have all the proper Winchester parts. Once I can do that I will repark it and make it look new. In the mean time I look forward to shooting it ;)

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I have been wanting a Garand for a loooooong time. I was just waiting for the right deal, and it finally came.
    Congrats!
    Now I would really like to restore it to a cherry condition period correct rifle.
    Sounds like a great idea! I'm currently doing the same thing on my recently acquired CMP SG Winchester...
    I don't want to spend a fortune,
    Bwahahahahaha! Okay, you're joking, right? That was hilarious! :lol2:
    but would like it to eventually have all the proper Winchester parts.
    Oh, wait... You're serious... :o
    Once I can do that I will repark it and make it look new. In the mean time I look forward to shooting it ;)
    Re-parking it will significantly decrease the value that you just spent a small fortune building up.

Winchester parts can easily be 3-4 (or maybe more) X's as expensive as other manufacture's parts. Be prepared for some sticker shock!

A Winchester Op-Rod will easily set you back $400-500, where a WWII Springfield will be under $200. Winchester Lock Bar Sights can be anywhere from $300-600, while WWII Springfield Lock Bars are 1/3 (or less) than that.

A Winchester Follower Rod can be $60-90! A trigger group with correct parts, another $200.

Not trying to pee in your cornflakes, but if you're gonna' do it, be prepared to spend some $$$...

Congrats again on your new rifle!

Jamie

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Congrats bum

Just wondering, when you buy a rifle like this, do you do a 4473 or do you give the selling dealer a copy of your ATF license and buy it on the license?

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    I will offer you $550 cash right now for that old busted up rifle. Guns are dangerous, I will dispose of it appropriately for a low cost to you.:thumbsup:

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    That would be an expensive restoration. If it had a Winchester barrel you'd be a little more ahead. Decent Winchester barrels are $$$$$$$. There are replacement Winchester barrels that say "Winchester" in script, these are not WWII barrels. Now, what about a correct stock......that $$$$$ boggles the mind. If you look long and hard you may be able to get the parts for "reasonable" prices. I've bought rifles just because they had a part I needed.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom