• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have a limited supply of Winchester 9mm NATO rounds, and my CZ P10F only runs with +P ammunition with the compensator installed. My reloading manuals don't have any +P loads. Tried finding some online, no dice. Anyone have a good load that they can share? Thanks.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    So, first of all, 9mm NATO is +P, but only barely. The top end of most load recipes should be pretty similar to those pressures.

I have a variety of powders and bullets. What I really want is 147gr coated bullets hitting 1150 fps. Standard pressure 9mm gets them to 1050 fps.
    Back when I was running a comp, I had pretty good success with coated 124s running at max load with TiteGroup (I guess whatever the Hodgdon load data specified) loaded to whatever OAL would chamber in my gun. Even 9mm NATO would not cycle the gun as reliably as that load. No pressure signs, but it had considerably more recoil than any bulk blaster 115gr I ever shot.

Conventional wisdom is that 147s don't do as well with comps, even at max load. There' just not enough powder burning behind the bullet to make them as effective. The bullet is longer and needs to be seated deeper, so your margin for error is somewhat less as well. There is a reason all the guys loading 9mm Major are using 115s and 124s.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I think the easiest, safest, most professional way is to let your gun and chronograph tell you when you hit plus p levels. Hint, more powder.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, first of all, 9mm NATO is +P, but only barely. The top end of most load recipes should be pretty similar to those pressures.

Back when I was running a comp, I had pretty good success with coated 124s running at max load with TiteGroup (I guess whatever the Hodgdon load data specified) loaded to whatever OAL would chamber in my gun. Even 9mm NATO would not cycle the gun as reliably as that load. No pressure signs, but it had considerably more recoil than any bulk blaster 115gr I ever shot.

Conventional wisdom is that 147s don't do as well with comps, even at max load. There' just not enough powder burning behind the bullet to make them as effective. The bullet is longer and needs to be seated deeper, so your margin for error is somewhat less as well. There is a reason all the guys loading 9mm Major are using 115s and 124s.

Ouch, that's hot (1150fps with a 147gr bullet). I am just trying to juice my 147s in to the mid 950 range.

Got a bunch of 147gr XTP a few weeks ago with the scarcity of defensive 9mm bullets right now, that's all I could find. At least all the info I can find, 147 XTP really seem to want to be in to the 900+fps range to expand well. At least in heavy clothing tests, they start to not perform well once it dips in to the 800fps range.

My biggest issue is my Glock 17 (Swenson) barrel needs them at 1.095" or shorter COAL or the bullet engages the rifling on loading. Which is not exactly ideal for removing a round, functionality or worrying about set back. All the load data has them at 1.100" or longer. So not like its much shorter than the load data, but not a ton of room in the case to shorten it.

I found the hard way yesterday that different 9mm cases cause significantly different COALs without adjusting the seating die. S&B is a perfect 1.095". Winchester and RP are 1.096" (that does still seem to drop fine in to the barrel), PPU M855 cases are 1.094", Blazer is 1.090" and FC brass is 1.080-1.083".

The later has me slightly concerned since I am loading it to max published loads. Though max published is 33k PSI and in theory my G17 should handle 42k psi or heavier. So I'd hope a .020" reduction in COAL isn't going to blow it up.

Of course I have lighter loads and I'll work up. But I am also going to shoot groups segregating the brass to see the effect on velocity as well as pressure signs in the cases as I go. Once I load up a ton of it, I am going to sort the brass by head stamp and either go with Win or RP brass since I have a ton of them (or maybe both since they seem to load to the same COAL, but set it just a fraction shorter to probably 1.093" COAL to be sure).

But I've got 17 rounds loaded with 3.9gr, 17 rounds loaded with 4.1gr and 6 rounds loaded with 4.3gr. CFE Pistol powder, CCI primers. I am going to save the two rounds of FC brass, 4.3gr loads for absolutely last to see how everything else has done up until then.

Sorry for slightly off topic, but +p/juiced 147 load discussion seemed mildly relevant.

Deliberately loading +p would worry me. But I am also relatively new to reloading.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    The Free Sierra app has +P also, but nothing w/147gr. It claims you can push a 124gr to over 1200fps with Power Pistol.

Yeah I looked after the OP said 147. I'm becoming less impressed with that app everytime I open it. Its revolver data is pure lies.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My biggest issue is my Glock 17 (Swenson) barrel needs them at 1.095" or shorter COAL or the bullet engages the rifling on loading. Which is not exactly ideal for removing a round, functionality or worrying about set back. All the load data has them at 1.100" or longer. So not like its much shorter than the load data, but not a ton of room in the case to shorten it.

I found the hard way yesterday that different 9mm cases cause significantly different COALs without adjusting the seating die. S&B is a perfect 1.095". Winchester and RP are 1.096" (that does still seem to drop fine in to the barrel), PPU M855 cases are 1.094", Blazer is 1.090" and FC brass is 1.080-1.083".

The later has me slightly concerned since I am loading it to max published loads. Though max published is 33k PSI and in theory my G17 should handle 42k psi or heavier. So I'd hope a .020" reduction in COAL isn't going to blow it up.
    Barrel characteristics, bullet profile, and COAL are absolutely considerations when trying to load really hot rounds. I had a Lone Wolf barrel that was one hell of a shooter, but the throat was just too short to deal with my reloads. The cheapo BCA / CA / etc. barrels were not as bad. Glock OEM barrels tended to not be a problem, but also weren't all that great otherwise. (If somebody knows of someone who makes a high quality Glock gen3 barrel that has a generous throat, by all means let me know.)

In terms of what this means for the OP: if you can't load your 147s to 1.16, your chances of success in your mission just went down a LOT. So I'd investigate that first.

I will say that, in my experience, slight reductions in COAL tend to not be a huge deal if you're not loading at max pressure. For instance, there are some heavy coated 300AAC bullets that are just not gonna fit in your chamber at 2.26 OAL no matter how bad you want them to... but they're low pressure subsonics, so cranking down OAL a bit isn't all that big a deal.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Ouch, that's hot (1150fps with a 147gr bullet).

Buffalo Bore calls that 9mm +p+. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=120 . I'm using a Killer Innovations threaded barrel with their comp.

I am just trying to juice my 147s in to the mid 950 range.

I'm currently not even trying and that's what I'm getting with my STI DVC 3-gun and 3.4gr of Titegroup with coated bullets. I've had to drop the charge to 2.8 to get it back under 900 fps.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    2.8gn of titegroup behind 165's is in the mid 800's. Stupid quiet
    I've seen dudes on Benos got all the way to like 3.0 on those. Little hotter than I think I'd care for, but not gonna blow up your gun. I ran some 160s with 2.5gr of TG, but it wouldn't cycle reliably in some of my pistols, and definitely didn't lock them back. Might give it another try next time I put in a bullet order.

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I've seen dudes on Benos got all the way to like 3.0 on those. Little hotter than I think I'd care for, but not gonna blow up your gun. I ran some 160s with 2.5gr of TG, but it wouldn't cycle reliably in some of my pistols, and definitely didn't lock them back. Might give it another try next time I put in a bullet order.

Let me know if you want some 165's pills to work up a recipe. Suppressed these things are fun. Firing at a man sized steel target at 100 yards out of my VP9 it seems like it takes forever to ring the steel. Probably only a second or fraction of a second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom