• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cad424

Apr 28, 2010
    Texas!
    First off I really feel for you guys in Maryland with those super restrictive gun laws.

I've lived in Maryland before and I really like it up there.

I've done much research and it seems that Maryland Shooters has the most informative and knowledgable folks regarding MD gun laws.

My brother lives in MD and I want to purchase some guns here in Texas and ship them as gifts. One will be a 30.06 which I don't anticipate many issues with but the other will be a regulated firearm.

Are there any exceptions that you all are aware of regarding transfering a firearm as a gift to a family member in MD?

Any and all info would surely be appreciated.

Go Caps! :party29:

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yeah, I believe both would have to go through an FFL. The .30-06 he should be able to transfer immediately, and take home that day. The regulated firearm he would have to fill out the paperwork, and wait until the eighth (or tenth... or twelveth day.)

Check out the Industry Partners section to find an FFL to handle the transfers.

-------------------

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Whereabouts in Texas are you? I lived in Dallas for eight years, and have lots of family spread between Lewisville and Carrollton.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Welcome to MDS.

All firearms that will cross state lines you/your brother will have to use a FFL if shipping them. The only way around it, is if you ship them to yourself. So if you brother visits you and ships them back to his house in MD himself. You cannot ship them to him either. Must the owner.

I dont know the laws in Texas, but best would be for him to go visit ( if he does often ) you give them to him and brings them over.

cad424

Apr 28, 2010
    Texas!
    Welcome to MDS.

All firearms that will cross state lines you/your brother will have to use a FFL if shipping them. The only way around it, is if you ship them to yourself. So if you brother visits you and ships them back to his house in MD himself. You cannot ship them to him either. Must the owner.

I dont know the laws in Texas, but best would be for him to go visit ( if he does often ) you give them to him and brings them over.

So if he drives down here for a visit he can legally transport the firearms back to Maryland himself? Is that the case for the regulated firearms as well?

Our gun laws down here are very Pro 2nd Amendment.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    So if he drives down here for a visit he can legally transport the firearms back to Maryland himself? Is that the case for the regulated firearms as well?

Our gun laws down here are very Pro 2nd Amendment.

Yes. If you give them to him as a present. He would be the owner. So he could transport them back home with him, or ship it to himself. I would avoid the trouble (of shipping(sp) them) if he's driving or flying he can bring them back. Just check airline regulations regarding firearms. I know there are certain rules on checking in firearms but I am not sure about all of them.

If anyone else here thinks I am incorrect about this please speak up.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Welcome to the forum! :)
    Best to go to the Industry Partners section and talk to a dealer. They are great guys and are very up on our complicated laws. They won't steer you wrong or do anything shady. That is not tolerated here or from anyone of us. You have to be very careful here in MD, as you know. It's easy to make an honest mistake and very hard to get out of it.
    Good luck. :thumbsup:

MH

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom