• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Srbenda

Off Center Plinker
    Dec 1, 2008
    Pseudo Rural SE PA
    If I were to be traveling into New Jersey, what are the laws regarding the possession of MD non-regulated weapons?

Are they allowed? What are the specifics?

Thanks!

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I do not have a lot of specific information about NJ. Its really strange in many ways. I do know that the M-1 Carbine is illegal to own (greater than 10rd mag). I believe you must have some sort of firearms owners card for anything. Sorry, I'm not that helpful but REALLY check this out before going antwhere near NJ.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I was born and raised in New jersey and thankfully was able to get out. Maryland isn't the greatest with their laws but are better then Jersey. You will find a list of firearms that are illegal to own in New Jersey on the NRA website, I would also call a State Police Barrack and ask them also, i've heard sometimes the NRA website isn't updated all that often. If you are just passing through, disassembling your weapons as much as possible and having them in a locked container in a separate area of the vehicle, ie trunk or way in the back of an SUV is highly advised. I would not carry ammo either unless you can keep it again, very separate from the guns. When I travel home to see family I keep the ammo in the bed of my pickup and the disassembled weapons in the cab under lock and key. DO NOT bring hi-cap mags into the state and triple check the "assault weapons" list on the NRA sight. I was at an outdoor range there and was told by the R.O. that I should probably pack up my rifle and magazines and leave the range as I had about 35 years worth of jail time on the bench. Apparently my rifle was on the banned list and I didn't know that the state banned hi-caps even for possesion. There are a couple stores that I go to when i'm home, you can call and ask them about the rules,along with the State Police.
    Cheyenne Moutain Outfitters: 609 570 8430
    The Sportsmans Center: 609 298 5300

There is such a thing as a firearms ID card, it used to be only used for the purchase of long guns; rifles and shotguns. Since i've been home over the last couple of years, you had to have one just to look/handle any firearm in a store. Don't bother trying to buy ammo there either, you need a firearms ID card and another form of ID and both addresses have to match, the stores also log all ammo sales. My brother is a policeman there and they wouldn't sell him ammo because he never changed the address on his firearms ID card to his new address when he moved.

Good luck, sorry for the long post.

K-Romulus

Suburban Commando
    Mar 15, 2007
    NE MoCO
    Off the top of my head (I looked into NJ laws this spring when considering taking a couple of gun classes there, and possibly relocating to NYC area):

1) magazines limited to 15 rounds (even non-detachable)
    2) handgun transport law similar to MD
    3) "assault weapons" ban similar to old Fed Ban (evil feature test)
    4) hollow points illegal to "use" outside of home or the range
    5) no "license" to own needed, only to purchase.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Are you staying in New Jersey or passing through?

If you are just passing through, you can lock them in your trunk, unloaded, and you are protected by Federal Law.

If you are hanging in New Jersey, I default to the people here.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    RESTRICTED FIREARMS
    New Jersey law restricts the ownership of certain semi-automatic and other firearms based upon their military appearance. A specific list of restricted “assault firearms” is maintained by the New Jersey State Police. It includes many widely available firearms, and is subject to change and modification. Contact the New Jersey State Police for Information regarding which firearms are “assault firearms.” An “assault firearm” also includes any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock; a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds; a part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an “assault firearm,” or any combination of parts from which an “assault firearm” may be readily assembled. Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine unless the person has a registered “assault firearm” and the magazine is used for DCM sanctioned shooting matches.
    Any “assault firearm” legally possessed before May 1, 1990 is illegal unless that firearm was registered before May 1, 1991. Any “assault firearm” which was not owned prior to May 1, 1990, must be licensed. The licensing procedures for an “assault firearm” are the same as those listed in MACHINE GUNS, above.
    Upon the death of the owner of a properly licensed “assault firearm,” the owner’s heirs or estate have 90 days if unable to get a license to either transfer the firearm to any person or firm lawfully entitled to own or possess such firearm, render the firearm inoperable, voluntarily surrender it, or remove the firearm from New Jersey to a state where the “assault firearm” would be legal.

This is part of the information from the NRA/ILA websight. I guess they did change the 15 round magazine law up a little bit. I still would have gotten nailed though, the mags for my AR were all 30 rounders and the AR itself had the evil flash suppressor and bayonet lug on it. I'm just glad the guy at the range was cool about it, he could have raised a major sh#* fit. I was with my nephew who was only about 12 at the time, so I was glad he was cool about it. All in all, it's a pretty jacked up state and i'm glad to be gone. I just wish I could get the rest of my family to move from there.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Remember that when traveling through a state without stopping (except for a short food or bathroom break), you are protected by Federal Law, providing your weapons are locked in the trunk and unloaded.

The law in question is the Firearm Owners Protection Act. It is known as the Safe Passage provision.

There was a recent clarification of this statue when firearm owners coming from states around NY where arrested when boarding flights at NYC airports with checked firearms. The attorney general of the US said that as long as they are coming from states where it is legal to own weapons, and they go directly to the airport, they can not be arrested.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Remember that when traveling through a state without stopping (except for a short food or bathroom break), you are protected by Federal Law, providing your weapons are locked in the trunk and unloaded.

The law in question is the Firearm Owners Protection Act. It is known as the Safe Passage provision.

There was a recent clarification of this statue when firearm owners coming from states around NY where arrested when boarding flights at NYC airports with checked firearms. The attorney general of the US said that as long as they are coming from states where it is legal to own weapons, and they go directly to the airport, they can not be arrested.
    I have doubts about the short stops thing because after all it would be silly to assume someone can drive accross the country without having to stop for sleep. Just driving through Texas alone can take over 12 hours for instance.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    If memory serves...

I have doubts about the short stops thing because after all it would be silly to assume someone can drive accross the country without having to stop for sleep. Just driving through Texas alone can take over 12 hours for instance.

...this was the subject of a failed bill before one of our judiciary committees a while back. While federal law might provide relief for short stops (which makes perfect sense), it remains illegal for MD residents traversing the State with a handgun to stop for food, fuel and/or restroom breaks, even though their destination is to and from locations listed in statute.

Now back to the New Jersey topic. :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At one point Mass was prosecuting people for steping into a rest room during a fuel stop, because once the door swung closed they were "Leaving unattended handgun" . It would seem you could beat this with F.O.P.A. , but how badly do you want to be a self financed test case ?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    That was the one bad thing when I was stationed in Maine, in order to get there from New jersey I had to drive through some states with terrible gun laws!!!! A gunsmith froiend of mine would not sell me his '03 Springfield because I had to to drive through Mass to get back home. I had to have it shipped up to Maine.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

True, but New York, IL, MA and NJ can all be crossed in 12 hours or less :). I guess California too if your going east or west.

I think those are the only states you'd ever need to claim safe passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom