• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V

VelvetHammer18

Greetings everyone, I'm new to the web site and a new gun owner, period. I recently purchased a Ruger Mark III 22 Caliber pistol because I found the cost of ammo to be the least expensive option for someone learning to shoot. Probably rushed my purchase a little bit, but I had fired a similar pistol a few times before making my purchase. I've only been able to fire 50 rounds through because it was recommended that I clean the pistol before really using it. My hope is to grow into a larger caliber pistol but, as I become more comfortable, I want to get into skeet shooting too.

I appreciate you taking the time to check out my first post...if you're so inclined, I do have a few questions that you maybe be able to assist with.

1. Is there a way to confirm you have your pistol put back together correctly? Obviously firing it will confirm it, but is there another way?
    2. Are range memberships worth the cost? I'm considering joining On Target around Ft. Meade.
    3. Where is the best place to get ammo at a low cost?
    4. Possibly a really stupid question but, in MD, are you allowed to leave your gun locked in your vehicle if you're going to a range? My hope is to take my gun to work, leaving it locked in the car and I'll put additional locks on it as well, so that I can save gas and stop by the range on the way home.

Thanks all!

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Well, I'll jump in. Welcome and
    1. I've wondered that myself a time or two, and don't even have the notorious Ruger of which you speak. If you have any .22 snap caps you can check and see if they will manually cycle through the gun.
    2. I was a member of On Target for a year when I first got back into shooting and I would recommend them.
    3. Walmart. Occasionally I find cheaper .22 on the internet, plus shipping usually makes it the same price, but more convenient.
    4. Probably not, but opinions may vary. The law for a regulated handgun says you can transport it to and from the range. Whether that includes stops is debated on occasion.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Hi :wave:
    Welcome!

Some answers for you:
    1. You need some snap caps. Basically dummy rounds you can test for function with. Whatever you do, don't dry-fire(pull the trigger while unloaded) it. Rimfire guns can get damaged this way.
    2. Depends how often you plan to shoot. Not knowing where you're at, I'd recommend you check out Freestate if it's a reasonable drive for you.
    3. Walmart. Also gunshows can be, but you have to know the going market price.
    4. It's been debated, but it's best to play it safe in this state, and leave it home.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 136

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    First, Welcome to the Boards! I have broken down my Mark III a few times. And after the initial four letter words and trying to get that damn main spring housing in correctly, it does get easier. Take your time. The pistol breaks down very easily. Going together kind of sucks for the inexperienced. You will see about 1000 hits on the web if you type in Mark III disassemble issues. One thing to remember, do not force the main spring Latch. If you do and try to charge the pistol and dry fire it for functionality, you Will Damage the Firing Pin. The Ruger Mark III is a fairly simple operating pistol. If you have done something wrong you will know. If you need help, pm me.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland.

The Ruger 22 pistol can be challenging to put back together. Where are you located? You may want to consider training.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Greetings.
    Only took me just over an hour to reassemble my Mk III when I first got it! Patience and the directions in front of you at all times plus watch the video on the Ruger web site.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    just some $.02 from an average guy...

I think you made a good choice for a pistol. Even people who buy 9mm pistols stiil shoot .22LR's since the ammo is cheap.

No, I am not an attorney, but have a look at the code

http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/web_statutes.asp?gcr&4-203

I would error on the safe side and not leave it in your car at work. MD law says you can bring it from home to work if you own and operate the business. Plus, some employers have rules against certain items on their property. BTW, if you get stopped and they ask to search your trunk, say no w/o a warrant.

You might want to find ammo that feeds reliably in your pistol (e.g. CCI) and then bulk order some 1,000's of rounds (so long as the range you use lets you bring your own ammo.)

I don't know where you live, but consider joining a club (e.g. Monumental) that uses the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore range in Marriottsville from which you can buy an annual range badge. The Hap Baker range behind the Carroll County landfill also sells annual badges.

Welcome.

V

VelvetHammer18

Thanks everyone, I did dry fire my pistol a few times, because of the reassembly recommendation; however, I just order some dummy rounds as to not make that mistake again.

Unfortunately, I hear you on the recommendation to not carry my gun with me...that's what I was afraid of but I definitely don't want to spend an evening in jail besides the other heartaches. Any word on the change in MD law for carrying a gun?

Otherwise, I've had basic safety training but will consider taking other classes earlier next year.

Thanks again!

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Any word on the change in MD law for carrying a gun?

Probably a long way out ... we are awaiting an appeals court ruling that may come as late as early summer (or less likely, as soon as tomorrow) ... and could result in little more than an appeal to the US Supreme Court that may or may not be heard a couple more years down the road. On top of that ... if the state looses, they can just re-write the law and start over in court.

Welcome to the forum ... you have chosen an excellent pistol to start with.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    Hi :wave:
    Welcome!

Some answers for you:
    1. You need some snap caps. Basically dummy rounds you can test for function with. Whatever you do, don't dry-fire(pull the trigger while unloaded) it. Rimfire guns can get damaged this way.
    2. Depends how often you plan to shoot. Not knowing where you're at, I'd recommend you check out Freestate if it's a reasonable drive for you.
    3. Walmart. Also gunshows can be, but you have to know the going market price.
    4. It's been debated, but it's best to play it safe in this state, and leave it home.

#1 is usually true but mark III has an automatic decocking feature, close the bolt on an emty chamber and it decocks it self

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom