• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    So a new upper for an AR and completely new to me. Scope is not zeroed yet. I have about a ten step ladder for 6.8 and need to make rounds to zero the scope before the ladder. Do I just make extras of the weakest round, or maybe step 5 from the middle? I noticed with the 30.06 the more powerful the rounds and they keep creeping up the target. Anyone else did a ladder for a completely new rifle?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    For semi auto's, I develop loads to cycle the action reliably first, then use that as the starting load to develop and sight in/conduct further ladders.

I did have moments where I developed very accurate loads, but it effectively turned my semi-autos into straightpulls.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I zero first with good/excellent commercial ammo of same bullet weight. Fouls the barrel and takes care of "cold bore" too.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    So a new upper for an AR and completely new to me. Scope is not zeroed yet. I have about a ten step ladder for 6.8 and need to make rounds to zero the scope before the ladder. Do I just make extras of the weakest round, or maybe step 5 from the middle? I noticed with the 30.06 the more powerful the rounds and they keep creeping up the target. Anyone else did a ladder for a completely new rifle?
    I'd suggest bore-sighting your rifle, then zero with a few of your starting loads. There really shouldn't be much zero variation in a series of shots like your ladder test, just a little vertical.

I typically run a single shot at each increment to 'scan' for a promising node and to find my max pressure point, then go back and work around that area with 5 shot groups while watching velocities.

Very often, velocities are so high, there isn't a large enough amount of vertical between shots in a single ladder test to clearly see what's going on, plus single-shot ladders place a huge amount of emphasis on the shooter's ability to make every shot perfect if they are to be meaningful.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I would bore site it, except I don't know how to remove the bolt from and AR yet to do that. I guess I'll Youtube it. I have only bore sighted bolt rifles. Just like I could not bore site my Marlin 336A. AR's are newer to me and I have not spent a lot of time with them. I only bough them when they tried to say I could have them. It's my Libertarian streak. :D

Anyway, I figure Ill just load some extra row 9 at 2102 fps and site in with that before running the ladder. The bullet got way heavier than I was expecting. The mold said 125 from MP, but it cast 135+ with my alloy and I'm getting 139.5 with powder coat and gas checks. It is what it is. I love heavy bullets, like arrows, momentum is nice. I'm not a great long range shooter, but hunting ranges I'm okay with.

this is with IMR 4227 powder. I chopped that on the picture some how.

6.8 ladder.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would bore site it, except I don't know how to remove the bolt from and AR yet to do that. I guess I'll Youtube it. I have only bore sighted bolt rifles. Just like I could not bore site my Marlin 336A. AR's are newer to me and I have not spent a lot of time with them. I only bough them when they tried to say I could have them. It's my Libertarian streak. :D

Anyway, I figure Ill just load some extra row 9 at 2102 fps and site in with that before running the ladder. The bullet got way heavier than I was expecting. The mold said 125 from MP, but it cast 135+ with my alloy and I'm getting 139.5 with powder coat and gas checks. It is what it is. I love heavy bullets, like arrows, momentum is nice. I'm not a great long range shooter, but hunting ranges I'm okay with.

this is with IMR 4227 powder. I chopped that on the picture some how.

View attachment 454619
    Rob, I can help with the bolt remove/bore sighting. Feel free to give me a shout if you need to. I'm retired now and usually have plenty of time on my hands. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Outrider58 can assist and that would probably be the most expedient way, or just remove the upper, pull the bolt carrier group out, sit the upper on sandbags and look through the bore at the target.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Wow, that was remarkable easier than I thought. The bolt and charge handle came right out and went back in with no trouble. Scope was several inches high and adjusted it down.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Rob, I can help with the bolt remove/bore sighting. Feel free to give me a shout if you need to. I'm retired now and usually have plenty of time on my hands. :)
    I almost called you, but the phone would not work. ATT still goofy maybe. Well, I may be needing schooling. It seems making a ladder for a semi auto is not like making a ladder for a bolt gun. See above ladder and maybe the last two of the ladder came close, I say close, to cycling. Sometime they would push the bolt back far enough to cock the hammer, but not far enough to eject the case and load a live cartridge. "Click" and I am pulling the trigger on a previously fired case.

WTF, I thought I knew, and not I find out how much I do not know. I turned my AR into a hand rack bolt gun. :sad20:

DO I need to adjust the gas block? Its a PSA Upper and they all just worked for me before, until now. But there is not enough gas getting though the gas tube to cycle the bolt.

This was all a she-it show, until I got to the last ladder. I did band, bang. Then I hear bang bang, bark bark. I said they are own range, WTF? I was shooting into the hill and the new neighbor wanted to know who was shooting and came to investigate. So I put the gun down and meet Ed and Tyson (dog) The drove over and got my buddy to meet them. Great hook up with the new neighbors and told him how we can teach him to hunt geese on the creek. He got all excited. One failure, leads to a great success.

Now, WTF is it so hard to cycle an AR? :lol2: I'm 4 beer deep,

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I almost called you, but the phone would not work. ATT still goofy maybe. Well, I may be needing schooling. It seems making a ladder for a semi auto is not like making a ladder for a bolt gun. See above ladder and maybe the last two of the ladder came close, I say close, to cycling. Sometime they would push the bolt back far enough to cock the hammer, but not far enough to eject the case and load a live cartridge. "Click" and I am pulling the trigger on a previously fired case.

WTF, I thought I knew, and not I find out how much I do not know. I turned my AR into a hand rack bolt gun. :sad20:

DO I need to adjust the gas block? Its a PSA Upper and they all just worked for me before, until now. But there is not enough gas getting though the gas tube to cycle the bolt.

This was all a she-it show, until I got to the last ladder. I did band, bang. Then I hear bang bang, bark bark. I said they are own range, WTF? I was shooting into the hill and the new neighbor wanted to know who was shooting and came to investigate. So I put the gun down and meet Ed and Tyson (dog) The drove over and got my buddy to meet them. Great hook up with the new neighbors and told him how we can teach him to hunt geese on the creek. He got all excited. One failure, leads to a great success.

Now, WTF is it so hard to cycle an AR? :lol2: I'm 4 beer deep,
    Rob, we can touch base tomorrow or whenever it's convenient for you(retirement has its own rewards). In the off time, see if you can determine the ejection pattern(when it did eject) of your gun. That will give us a starting point for the diagnosis. Then we'll figure out where the tuning is needed.

Here's an example of what I am talking about with ejection patterning...

Last edited:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Don't understand all that but short stoke, or no stroke would fit the bill. This is the same lower and spring I used on 223 rounds.

The ejection pattern, how about Nadda, none, didn't happen. Or did happen once in a while, like a blind squirrel finding a nut.

I use mid range ladder steps as sighting in rounds they would not cycle. Even the almost Max, over pressurization loads barely cycle. Sometimes they would, other times they moved back enough to cock the hammer, but not enough to eject the spent case and load a new one.

I got no time during the week unless its load new rounds or something.

I honestly felt like the gas system is failing, needs adjusting, or I got no idea what I'm talking about. The latter is most likely to be true!! Did I mention I feel like a rookie newb shooter? I just don't fail, I fail spectacularly. It's a gift, like the bright light in the room. :D

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Don't understand all that but short stoke, or no stroke would fit the bill. This is the same lower and spring I used on 223 rounds.

The ejection pattern, how about Nadda, none, didn't happen. Or did happen once in a while, like a blind squirrel finding a nut.

I use mid range ladder steps as sighting in rounds they would not cycle. Even the almost Max, over pressurization loads barely cycle. Sometimes they would, other times they moved back enough to cock the hammer, but not enough to eject the spent case and load a new one.

I got no time during the week unless its load new rounds or something.

I honestly felt like the gas system is failing, needs adjusting, or I got no idea what I'm talking about. The latter is most likely to be true!! Did I mention I feel like a rookie newb shooter? I just don't fail, I fail spectacularly. It's a gift, like the bright light in the room. :D
    Ah! My bad. I was thinking .308
    Even better. We'll go over your ladder and your set-up.

I'm half way through happy hour myself now, so shoot me a text when you want and I'll give you a call. This being MDShooters, I'm sure there will folks chiming in to help. All good. If you still want my help, give me a holler later Rob. It shouldn't be more than getting all the buffer, spring, and gas playing nice with each other. We'll check for gas leaks/miss-alignments as well bolt and carrier problems. We'll apply Occam's sledge hammer first and check all the easy stuff.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    @King Chicken I think is having similar issues with cycling maybe he will find this thread useful.

Are you removing the BCG and looking through the bore to boresight? How accurate is that? I use the below which I love.

opplanet-wheeler-professional-laser-bore-sighter-red-580022-main.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    @King Chicken I think is having similar issues with cycling maybe he will find this thread useful.

Are you removing the BCG and looking through the bore to boresight? How accurate is that? I use the below which I love.

opplanet-wheeler-professional-laser-bore-sighter-red-580022-main.jpg
    He is? Hmm... :rolleyes:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    I bore sighted it as shown in post #9. Then I sited it like it was a bolt action. I checked it again this morning and the barrel look remarkably clean for being fired 30 - 40 times. I have not ever adjusted a gas blocks or if they need adjusting. There has never has been any factory ammo through this upper unless PSA used some to test it before shipping, as I think they do.

I watched a video about one round in a mag and opening it up one turn until it locks back each time. Then another turn for colder weather. This is the problem I am having. The highest load I had rarely ejected shells and did not lock back or chamber a new round. They would reset the hammer and push the spent casing back into the chamber as they did not travel far enough backwards.

Opinions and guidance? I'll probably bring Byron up on Saturday or Sunday and make him a deer steak and have him help/show me. The Gas block has two screws on the side, one block by the hand guard. One looking to be facing the muzzle. Scope front mount is on the hand guard. So I am assuming all this needs to come off to adjust it.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    He is? Hmm... :rolleyes:
    Had an absolute clown put my new AR together. I thought(reading other forums) on a 14.5 middy, a white standard Sprinco spring and h2 buffer would be ok. nope, short cycling. Apparently, for now h1 is even too much. Will have to try a regular carbine buffer. At least until my "leak" or friction stops...
    My cerakote job is adding some friction inside the upper. I'm hoping it just needs a couple hundred rounds!

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    Had an absolute clown put my new AR together. I thought(reading other forums) on a 14.5 middy, a white standard Sprinco spring and h2 buffer would be ok. nope, short cycling. Apparently, for now h1 is even too much. Will have to try a regular carbine buffer. At least until my "leak" or friction stops...
    My cerakote job is adding some friction inside the upper. I'm hoping it just needs a couple hundred rounds!

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom