• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S

SoClose

Well, I'm moving to Maryland this month.

I've had a license to carry concealed in my home state for the last 1.5 years. I understand Maryland does not recognize out of state licenses. Seeing as Maryland is also may-issue (no-issue) state, I am in no hurry to transfer my driver's license over and revoke my Michigan cpl. Also, my work contract is 2.5 years, so maybe I can keep my Michigan driver's and pistol licenses until I gtfo of Maryland after that time is up. (If anyone has any helpful information for me in those regards, it would be appreciated)

I'm currently trying to learn the Maryland laws and make sure I have the right to even have my pistol in my new apartment and defend myself while on the property there. I will actually be living and working within the city of Baltimore, and I understand the crime is comparable to Detroit, so I would definitely like to have it with me as much as possible.

So there's my introduction.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      40.9 KB · Views: 120

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland.

You should be OK bringing your guns with you to keep in your home. I'm not sure about keeping your MI drivers lic, but I believe you have to change it if MD will be your primary residence. Are you going to keep a home in MI?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Welcome, pilgrim!

No problem keeping and even carrying your pistol at home. Of course your Michigan permit isn't valid here, but maybe you'll be able to get a Maryland permit next year.

You do not have to "register" any of your guns when you come here (except your machine guns), although you are allowed to voluntarily do so. I'm sure very few people do.

About the only things actually banned here are a short list of so called "assault pistols", such as the MACs, etc.

Also, expect less snow and a generally milder winter.

S

SoClose

Welcome to the forum from Southern Maryland.

You should be OK bringing your guns with you to keep in your home. I'm not sure about keeping your MI drivers lic, but I believe you have to change it if MD will be your primary residence. Are you going to keep a home in MI?

My permanent residence on my license is listed as my father's house. It was just easier while moving around every year during college. He will still be living there, so I guess I sort of have a 'residence' in Michigan.

Welcome, pilgrim!

No problem keeping and even carrying your pistol at home. Of course your Michigan permit isn't valid here, but maybe you'll be able to get a Maryland permit next year.

You do not have to "register" any of your guns when you come here (except your machine guns), although you are allowed to voluntarily do so. I'm sure very few people do.

About the only things actually banned here are a short list of so called "assault pistols", such as the MACs, etc.

Also, expect less snow and a generally milder winter.

I have my fingers crossed for shall-issue. And I am greatly looking forward to the weather.

Hidey Ho from SMIBvile. Settle in with some sweet lemonade and enjoy the show. Sorry bout your bad luck but make the best of it.

haha, "bad luck" that I was hired here. I am actually greatly looking forward to everything (except the gun laws). I have traveled many places, but never lived outside of Michigan before. I was specifically searching for any job outside and south of Michigan. So I was very happy and fortunate to find one.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]HOW to APPLY for a MARYLAND Carry Permit[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT][/FONT]

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Welcome. I hung on to my PA residence as long as I could for that same reason but eventually had to give it up when I purchased a house here.

prmorin

Mar 14, 2010
    Welcome from Baltimore. Just a heads up, the MVA requires that new residents to Maryland obtain a MD license within 60 days.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hello and welcome.

I live in the city and and it's not bad, IF you know where the good and bad spots are. I'd be glad to give you any pointers to navigate your way and suggest neighborhoods to settle in.

I assume you will be driving a car with out of state tags. To register your car here requires you pay tax on the value of the car...Maryland is known for picking your pocket. So, you won't do that, but near the end of 2.5 years might be reason for cops to harass you, but I'm not sure at all on the time frame of that. If it were to happen you could switch cars with a relative/friend from home for the last stretch of your stay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom