• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I bought my .38 on 2/18, however didn't get MSAR my Maryland Firearms Safety certificate number until 3/3 so I'm not sure when they submitted my purchase for review. I thought I couldn't make another purchase until 30 days after I picked up this purchase?

One you can do two at once then have 60 hold. Two if your FFL will let you. You can but several guns and they will hold them and submit your paperwork once cleared but as many have said get a collector license it is painless and make the entire problem go away. This week alone I bought 3 regulated guns.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    You can make multiple purchases at once. It's just your FFL can only transfer you one every 30 days. So, say you purchase two on the same date, you'll receive transfer one on day 30 and transfer two 30 days later. 30-day clock starts ticking only after the gun is physically transferred to you.

I would recommend getting the collectors license and get ride of this BS and it will still work after SB281 takes effect. But you are incorrect. If you buy 2 regulated weapons at the same time you can do both at once but then you have to wait 60 days before your next purchase. But then again if you fill out the paper work to become a collector that will likely take less then 60 days. I think someone said they just got there back in 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Robert

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Sorry I wasn't clear on my initial post but this is what I meant, I'm only looking for what I have to have pre-ban.

Am I correct in saying that there aren't going to be any pistols banned, just can't purchase them if they have the magazine with them that holds more than 10 rounds? Am I correct in saying post ban I could still buy a Glock 19 without a magazine and then buy a magazine from outside of Maryland for it?

Current guns:
    Mossberg 500 12G w/24" slug barrel and 28" barrel- had forever for home protection
    Ruger 10/22 w/10 and 25 round magazines- bought a few days after Newtown just to get the wife comfortable with shooting which also peaked my interest again (grew up hunting, haven't gone in years).
    Saiga 12G w/10 & 12 round magazines and 20 round drums- bought in January
    38 S&W Bodyguard (waiting for it since February)- wanted a .357 wheel gun but this was in stock so bought it, thinking wife will use it for CCW or in her desk drawer at some point

So trying to get what I can get before the ban but since I'm not a Collector it is looking like I can only buy 1-2 "some things" before the ban happens so was looking to see what those 1-2 some things should be. Sounds like a M1A and an AR lower are on the must have list.

I'm very late to the game but better late than never right?

AR lower or complete rifle.

AK pattern rifle in the caliber of your choice

FN SCAR in the caliber of your choice

Tavor

Take your pick.

I wouldn't really bother with an M1A considering the cost and what it offers. If you want a semi .308 rifle, an AR-10 style rifle will probably suit you better than a M1A.

Something like this:

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=256

or

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=402

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    AR10 wasn't on the ban list and neither were pistols. The op said which ban items should he focus on. Worrying about a pistol right now will just tie up funds that could ve going to a potential ban item.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    AR10 wasn't on the ban list and neither were pistols. The op said which ban items should he focus on. Worrying about a pistol right now will just tie up funds that could ve going to a potential ban item.
    What happens to all pistols that don't have a mag with less than 10 rounds? Effectively banned also?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD

I agree with you except, they can kiss my a** before they fingerprint me! I am proud to never have required fingerprinting!

If they wanted to be realistic and fingerprint/document me and then not restrict what I can buy... I might comply.

I am buying enough that it won't matter! :party29:

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    I would recommend getting the collectors license and get ride of this BS and it will still work after SB281 takes effect. But you are incorrect. If you buy 2 regulated weapons at the same time you can do both at once but then you have to wait 60 days before your next purchase. But then again if you fill out the paper work to become a collector that will likely take less then 60 days. I think someone said they just got there back in 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Robert

I have collector's status too. Agreed, it simplifies things.

We said the same thing as far as wait times, just circled the bush from different directions. We're both saying 60 days for two transfers.

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    I applied for collector status today.

I'm waiting on my 2/18 (or 3/3) purchase now. When that comes in, I'm hoping to purchase 2 guns shortly after (matter of finding guns, not funds).

Wonder if I get approved for my collectors status if they will then release those two at that point instead of making me wait it out? How does collectors status work with the MSP- still have to wait the 40+ days for them to do the background check?

With or without collector status, I believe you can buy as many as you want at the same time; FFL just can't release but 1 to you every 30 days if you dont have collector status. Some have reported FFL releasing after 7 days if they know you and have done business with you before.
    And yes, you do have to get back in line for the 40-60+ day wait even with the collector status. I know that for sure - I am waiting now and I have a collector status already approved.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    With or without collector status, I believe you can buy as many as you want at the same time; FFL just can't release but 1 to you every 30 days if you dont have collector status. Some have reported FFL releasing after 7 days if they know you and have done business with you before.
    And yes, you do have to get back in line for the 40-60+ day wait even with the collector status. I know that for sure - I am waiting now and I have a collector status already approved.

Yep.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I agree with you except, they can kiss my a** before they fingerprint me! I am proud to never have required fingerprinting!

If they wanted to be realistic and fingerprint/document me and then not restrict what I can buy... I might comply.

Finger printed again this week (Guam FOID card).

I have been finger printed more times than Manson and I've never even been arrested!!!

WTF. I just love the resources used to validate and verify my existence, just implant my RFID chip and get it over with. Seriously. They have my DNA too. Price of serving your country I suppose.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    There are some good deals on M1As and they ship very fast and for free!

You could do without the AK, I know I will be as I will be content with an AR or two and my M1A. I knew I had limited funds to go I got what was most important to me. If you skip the AK or M1A I would also be rounding up a handful of mags if I were you.

Where are you finding the M1As?

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Finger printed again this week (Guam FOID card).

I have been finger printed more times than Manson and I've never even been arrested!!!

WTF. I just love the resources used to validate and verify my existence, just implant my RFID chip and get it over with. Seriously. They have my DNA too. Price of serving your country I suppose.

Pretty sad when we start requesting RFID chips to avoid all the interrogations. I bet it gets old!

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown

While I'm not a fan of the finger printing I have been considering and sbr which I would require fingerprinting anyway.

My point was if its jusy a pistol and there are other things I want the pistol will wait. I will dedicate all my disposible funds to ban list items until oct.

CosmicP25

Jan 19, 2013
    Parkville
    While I'm not a fan of the finger printing I have been considering and sbr which I would require fingerprinting anyway.

My point was if its jusy a pistol and there are other things I want the pistol will wait. I will dedicate all my disposible funds to ban list items until oct.

Ever thought about using a trust?

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I have but don't know enough about it yet.

I thought you still had to be fingerprinted? I would love to set one up just not sure about costs etc.

LongTom

Jan 13, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    I get the concept of getting your money to go further but if you can get a complete M1A for 1399 why wouldn't you.

Because they are big, heavy, and awkward, thus making them poor battle rifles or survival rifles. They are long, making them very poor home defense guns. All the above is true, unless you are in a fixed, long range position that won't be going anywhere for a while.

Because our feet are to the fire, I would rather buy a DUPLICATE of a gun that I would NEED, rather than a gun that I "want."

Just my 2 cents. No offense intended.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    Because they are big, heavy, and awkward, thus making them poor battle rifles or survival rifles. They are long, making them very poor home defense guns. All the above is true, unless you are in a fixed, long range position that won't be going anywhere for a while.

Because our feet are to the fire, I would rather buy a DUPLICATE of a gun that I would NEED, rather than a gun that I "want."

Just my 2 cents. No offense intended.

I do see your logic. I feel compelled to buy an M1A just because they don't want us to have it. Why? I ask.
    The questions becomes how many do I need and does that "want" deserve scratching. You could make the argument that the M1A could bring home the bacon as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom