• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I am not new to firing guns however I am new to owning them and I just want to thank the people on this part of the forum as well as the rest of the board that have posted their experience and recommendations to make my recent gun purchase uneventful.

Apart from my Shotgun which I purchased over a year ago at a gun show in Maryland I was on the look out for the new Umarex MP-5 .22 long riffle that came out. Based on the recommendations here I was able to purchase it online from Atlantic firearms who were very helpful and shipped out my riffle the very next day to Engage Armament for an FFL transfer.

The guys at Engage Armament were straight forward, professional and friendly and most of all they read up on the gun laws and know that these .22 riffles are not regulated which saved me so much hassle. I have many other hobbies like photography, RC planes and automobiles so I know purchase experience and enthusiasm can vary from one place to the next.

Now for the bad. Prior to this I went to Atlantic guns in Rockville and had a weird experience however I knew exactly what I was going to expect because of this board. All I can say is that they were least bothered when I called them up to make a simple inquiry on price and when I went there the environment was not friendly. They said they would get back to me and I never heard from them since. I do not know why they unnecessary complicate the simple art of straight forward conversation and most of all lose a paying customers business.

Another experience I had which left an impression was Gilbert Gun range in Rockville. I did not know anything about them until I did a search on the board after coming home and my experience is this;
    I thought the staff was nice and they made me watch a safety video and take a gun safety exam which I was ok with however the guys behind me watching the safety video also talked amongst them selfs and since they gave us the test paper before hand they filled it out as fast as they can trading answers and turned it in half way though the video.
    I followed the rules and waited for the video to end so I did not miss any information and then taken the test. The staff was least bothered if you cheated only that you complete the formality and at the time I too did not think it was a big deal until one of the cheaters in the next lane over dropped his magazine which fell over the firing line in my lane which is ok except the guy went under my table over the line to retrieve it.
    I then looked around me and noticed that there were three people in one lane were shooting a shotgun and then dancing once it was shot not to mention the unsafe nature of others as well.

Safety is important to me and I do not think I am going to go back there.

So anyway I wanted to thank the people in our area that have given their time to post great recommendations that have so far have been very helpful to me and I imagine so to many others. Hopefully I might be able to meet some of you in the near future.

Thanks
    dev

Funbrit

May 28, 2008
    Rockville
    Welcome to the forum, Engage is a great shop and have great people there, knowledgeable and friendly, In my opinion they are the best in Montgomery county.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    After reading much on the forums and hearing others experiences I have to ask why some of the gun shops have an attitude. I would think you would want to get newbies interested in any hobby even if they decide not to purchase as it would be good for all gun dealers. The way I see it everyone benefits. I did a transfer though Engage and although they probably did not make much form it I will be happy to recommend them to a friend that is thinking of purchasing his first gun in the near future. This is a great way to bring more people into the hobby and keep Maryland business in the state.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    dev, did I meet you the other day? I was the guy buying the SKS. If so, welcome to the boards. Well, either way, welcome to the board.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    dev, did I meet you the other day? I was the guy buying the SKS. If so, welcome to the boards. Well, either way, welcome to the board.

I was there Friday around 12 pm or so picking up my MP-5 .22 .

Thanks for the welcome.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, I talked to another guy who had a bad experience with Atlantic Guns then.

Seems like that is the norm around our area. I was actually introduced to Engage through a friend of mine who bought a Sig from Atlantic guns and then jumped ship for a better place. He said his father bought a good number of weapons from Atlantic guns in the past but I guess even a father and son connection is not good enough to be part of their "elite club" of gun buyers.

Atlantic guns reminds me of the record shop in the movie High Fidelity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom