No Pole: Two AR's, What Does MDS Recommend For Optics.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Well, the optics arrived. :bannana:

The Eotech EXPS-2 was just what I needed for my pistola. Clear reticle for my astigmatism eyes. I have another Eotech (similar to this one) on another platform in MD but that one IIRC appears not as clear as this one; or maybe it's the second dot. IDK. Anyhow I like it.

The NF NX8 1-8 with the FC DMX reticle is very nice. The made in Japan markings on the bottom made me think WTF? But compared to the high end Nightforce stuff at 2x the price, it is what it is; and IDK if anyone can diss Japanese made optics. I really like the reticle set up. I took it out into the hood and the mils work well for ranging. To me the glass is very good as is the illumination; at 1x it's like a red dot and at 8x the circle around the center is illuminated, crisp and clear. My concerns about the Christmas tree markings were unfounded. I can hardly see them at 1x and they are not in the way of a target or background at 8x. For me the reticle really draws my eyes to the center quickly; same as the Eotech.

Getting the scope mounted tomorrow on a Vortex QD cantilever mount. I went with this as it's a duplicate of another mount I have on another platform. I like to keep things redundant.

Pics to follow.
    Japs make decent glass.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Japs make decent glass.
    My parents were stationed at Tachikawa AFB Japan where my younger Brother was born.

I had two (yes two :eek: ) Japanese nanny's chasing after my naked tick ass down the street at one point after I dropped trou (diaper?) and ran for the hills.

But the AP's and nannies caught my ass in the end and that did not teach me a lesson even though it should have.

Those nannies have sent me and my family Christmas presents and cards for decades. And my family members have returned to Japan for meet ups with the nannies. I should do a visit but may loose myself when I get there and take off streaking again.

Anyhow, I call them Japanese.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I have a Vortex Viper PST GEN2 1x6 and everything people say about it is pretty true. They are pretty hard to beat at that price range. I will add 1 thing about them that really hasn't been told. They are pretty heavy with the mount. Almost 2lbs. As much as I like it, I feel that is a lot of weight for carry. Not so much as a bench gun. But if it was a bench gun there are better options. This is a tough call for me. I just bought a PA SLx 1x micro prism that I plan to try and maybe switch.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    I have a Vortex Viper PST GEN2 1x6 and everything people say about it is pretty true. They are pretty hard to beat at that price range. I will add 1 thing about them that really hasn't been told. They are pretty heavy with the mount. Almost 2lbs. As much as I like it, I feel that is a lot of weight for carry. Not so much as a bench gun. But if it was a bench gun there are better options. This is a tough call for me. I just bought a PA SLx 1x micro prism that I plan to try and maybe switch.
    The NF I bought is FFP which adds $ but for me that's what I prefer. Someone else I was talking to said just use a range finder.
    and that makes sense for a guided hunt; but not so much for solo.

Anyhow, I have various platforms and various optics that should interchange w/o too much loss of zero. For example, I have a Tikka T-3 Lite with (IIRC) a Vortex 4x16 scope on it. I love the scope but it does add a lot of weight to the rifle which, by itself is pretty light. So I'm thinking it may be worth swapping scopes, NF to Tikka, or maybe not. I need to do more research.

All part of the fun.
    :thumbsup:

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Well, the optics arrived. :bannana:

The Eotech EXPS-2 was just what I needed for my pistola. Clear reticle for my astigmatism eyes. I have another Eotech (similar to this one) on another platform in MD but that one IIRC appears not as clear as this one; or maybe it's the second dot. IDK. Anyhow I like it.

The NF NX8 1-8 with the FC DMX reticle is very nice. The made in Japan markings on the bottom made me think WTF? But compared to the high end Nightforce stuff at 2x the price, it is what it is; and IDK if anyone can diss Japanese made optics. I really like the reticle set up. I took it out into the hood and the mils work well for ranging. To me the glass is very good as is the illumination; at 1x it's like a red dot and at 8x the circle around the center is illuminated, crisp and clear. My concerns about the Christmas tree markings were unfounded. I can hardly see them at 1x and they are not in the way of a target or background at 8x. For me the reticle really draws my eyes to the center quickly; same as the Eotech.

Getting the scope mounted tomorrow on a Vortex QD cantilever mount. I went with this as it's a duplicate of another mount I have on another platform. I like to keep things redundant.

Pics to follow.
    Rock on! The new DMX reticle is interesting, I’ve got the original reticle which has mixed reviews but I think it’s perfectly fine.

Post pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom