• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    So I've got a few questions. I've been getting some range time with my Noveskee barreled SPR. I'm using a noveskee barrel and a young manufacturing match grade bolt. I did check headspacing and it was fine with the go, no go, and field gauges. What im having issues with is its tight loading rounds. I have to have the bolt locked to the rear and let it go home on its own. I'm fine with that but here's my issue. If I need to un load it I have to mortar the rifle to get the charging handle back.

Second, im trying to find some rounds that it likes. I had some 55 grain pmc FMJ and it hates it. I tried some handloads with 55 grain fmj and soft points, it liked the soft points but it kinda deforms the tip of the round so I don't think I will load them for it again. I tried some 55 grain Vmax hand loads and it didn't like those either.

My next step is to try some 62 grain green tip PMC that I have on hand and then try loading some 75 and 77 grainers that I have. I know its not me, Ive got a good trigger in it and they all feel like great shots. I checked my rings, headspacing was good and I really think its just finding what rounds it likes.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Could be the ramps doing damage to the projectIle and causing bad groups. Noveske Barrels are not immune to ramp allignment issues.

Can you take some pics?

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    i've shot 75s from a 9 twist with no ill effects. i've noticed folks tend to repeat things they've read on the internet, without actually giving it the old college try first. ;)

not ALL 9-twist barrels will shoot them well. but it's also not out of the question just BECAUSE it's a 9-twist. never know till ya try it. ;)

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    i've shot 75s from a 9 twist with no ill effects. i've noticed folks tend to repeat things they've read on the internet, without actually giving it the old college try first. ;)

not ALL 9-twist barrels will shoot them well. but it's also not out of the question just BECAUSE it's a 9-twist. never know till ya try it. ;)

I've shot 75s through my 1:9s(black Hills match grade) with no ill effects other than poor accuracy. All rifles shoot differently. Just relating my personal experience in the search for the ''right'' round.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    no worries there, but saying that just because it's a 9 it won't shoot them well isn't necessarily correct. 9 seems to be the cusp to where it's better for OP to actually give 'em a try (if 68BTHP/69SMK don't do the trick for some reason) before writing them off. ;)

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    then also give a look to the 69TMK. it's a bit longer than the standard 69SMK, and longer than the 75.....almost the same length as the 77SMK, which is part of the reason it has that stupendous BC.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    It sounds like that chamber may need to be reamed if you have to mortar the rifle to extract an unfired round. However, it is a match chamber, so using cheap ammunition may yield mixed results. PMC is not precision ammunition if that is what you are looking for in terms of results. I'd run some really good factory match ammo through it. I have a Noveske SPR, but I ordered it with a matched Noveske bolt (actually the whole BCG). I'm shooting Black Hills 77SMKs, and it shoots them well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ramps look great but the barrel nut appears to be misaligned. The gas tube appears to be crooked.

I would see how it performs with other ammo before sending it back to noveske.

That gas tube should be straightened out though.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Chad,
    I don't really see where your saying the tube looks crooked. Ill look at it real good tonight though.

Ive got some 62 grain green tip I can try and ill try loading a few 75 grainers that I have on hand.

Pwoolford ill try taking a chamber brush to it and give it a blast of cleaner.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Does the gun lock-up on you frequently? Is it well lubed?

I agree that you probably need chamber brush work. Buy a stainless steel chamber brush specific for that caliber and a chamber brush rod --- Pour on your favorite solvent or brake cleaner degreaser --- insert --- rotate clockwise 12 times and cloth patch out. Any micro-scratches from the steel chamber brush will not affect accuracy or harm any barrel's chamber.

Your reloads might need full resizing.

If you have to mortar...make sure the stocked is mostly or fully collapsed --- that is, if you have an adjustable stock --- or else you might bend the buffer tube. I usually deal with locked-up AR's on the range with rubber mallet taps on the charging handle's release lever, with the muzzle pointed towards the backstop berm. If you use a regular steel hammer...put a block of wood between the charging handle and the hammer.

I know gravity helps when you have a double feed or a mortar situation --- with the muzzle pointed upwards --- but AGC wants to have ZERO rounds from escaping our range.

I believe it's against the rules at AGC @ Marriottsville to mortar a rifle with the muzzle pointed skyward. The muzzle of the rifle must be pointed towards the backstop berm when you mortar. This method is achieved by mortaring the rifle against one of the gun benches or metal canopy poles.

My AR {1 in 9 twist} likes remanufactured 223{blue box} Black Hills ammo, using once fired Lake City brass, loaded with 69 grain Sierra MatchKings; that I buy from Midway.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom