• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Here's my press. It was actually my fathers. The last time I used it was when I was 15 and reloaded a box of .222 REM (I still have the rifle and dies). I'm over 3 times that old now... From what I can tell it's a damn good press but I'm missing the primer feed tube. I have an old case trimmer, the scale is missing pieces, I do have a good powder measure. I haven't had a chance to call Hornady yet to see if I can get the feed tube. So I think I need:
    Feed Tube
    New case trimmer
    Scale
    Trickler
    Mic
    Etc
    Just wanted to know if I'm headed in the right direction or should start over.

PacificOPress.jpg

Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    We can't tell if you're headed in the right direction unless you tell us where you want to go. Personally, reloading for my guns, setting up the machines, working with them, etc. is as much a hobby in and of itself as collecting and shooting them.

I think that if you like tinkering with the equipment, learning how it works, finding the parts you need, doing the maintenance, tweaking and cleaning, and you generally have a good time doing it, then you are well on the way. But only you can decide if that's what you want. If, instead, you want maximum output with minimum fuss, then you need more modern equipment in a "turn key" setup.

Either way, I'll be interested in knowing how things are going.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    That is actually a really good single stage press. It has compound leverage like a RCBS rock chucker and way better build quality than a new Lee. If Hornady doesn't have the parts you need, watch ebay, they are out there.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In the past 30yrs , hand priming tools have made huge inroads. And to my preferences are superior to press mounted seating due to much better feel and control.

Likewise digital scales have largely suplanted beam scales.

Is somthing wrong w/ old trimmer ?

Presuming you are familiar with the inherent characteristics of single stage loading from your prior experience, you are ready to jump back in.

McPlink

Feb 6, 2011
    Western MD
    Thank for the info. I was really wondering about the hand priming tools and your responses are what I needed. I'm certainly going with a digital scale as well. I did some checking on the press and it seems as if its as good as anything else in the same category - but more importantly I want to make it a family heirloom :) As for what I be doing with it... .223 REM with a bull barrel looking for accuracy. I also have a semi auto in same but it looks like bulk ammo may be cheaper and easier. I still have the old .222 and a bunch of brass. I don't get the other calibers out much and none of my other stuff is really worth taking the time and working up a tack driving round for. I have a 9MM but it's vintage and don't put many rounds through it. I just want to get into the hobby and become proficient with my .223 first and then expand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom