• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I have LOTS of 40S&W brass, that Id be willing to trade for calibers I load, or may sell them if the price is right. I dont load or shoot 40's, but aquired a good amount of them.

I have LOTS of processed .223 brass, as well, but Im not sure I want to sell those just yet.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Does anyone have a once-fired brass source they can recommend? I'm mainly looking for .223, .308, and 40S&W.

An idea I just had. Most ranges police all the brass and instead of throwing it away, they will sell it relatively cheaply. About 5 bucks per pound is the going rate that I have seen for once fired and sorted brass.

FreeState

Ultimate Member
    Oct 31, 2010
    White Marsh
    pick them as you go shoot at the range.. what i do when i go to the range. but of course.. ask the range people and shooters for permission (that is if they dont mind you picking up brass). :thumbsup:

Definately ask the RO or owners. It is not permitted to pick up someone elses' cases and strictly prohibited (not to mention dangerous) to rake it in from in front of the firing line.

Nothinghead

Jun 29, 2011
    Severna Park
    Will the state ranges let you sift through the buckets? Can I sit at Hap Baker, Elk Neck, or Green ridge and sort through the brass barrel, or would someone have an issue with that?

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I had signed up for a government auction about 6 mos ago, bought a couple puters, and I could have purchased 5800 lbs of 9mm brass and 13,000 lbs of 5.56 Hahahahahaha I actually discussed it with a friend, but his 2 car garage would not hold all of it....Kinda wish I had the room now :-) A lot of about 350 .50cal ammo cans also, and 8-10,000 lbs of 50cal brass. hahahahahahah I would STILL be sorting that stuff out!

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    Will the state ranges let you sift through the buckets? Can I sit at Hap Baker, Elk Neck, or Green ridge and sort through the brass barrel, or would someone have an issue with that?

first of all, Hap Baker is not a state range. It is part of carroll county dept parks. The range is self supporting ( no tax money used) and the brass helps support the range. You are always welcome to take your own brass with you.

Corey G

Worst Speller Ever
    Jan 24, 2009
    New Oxford PA
    Got this form AAFG a few days ago, forgot to post it up in the main section going to do that now. Its a win win as you are supporting a local range and getting brass at a decent price.

We have for sale bags of 9 mm Luger, .40 S&W and .45 ACP at-least-once-fired brass. Prices are roughly half of what you would pay on the Internet or at a gun show:

•$30 for 1000+ 9mm brass

•$40 for 1000+ 40S&W brass

•$50 for 1000+ 45 ACP brass

You can pick it up at the club or we can ship it to you for an additional $12 via USPS flat-rate shipping.

Please email firedbrass@verizon.net to place an order or request more information.

Revenues from the sale of brass will be used to purchase IDPA supplies and props for the club

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Bump.

I'm getting into reloading as well. I am in need of .40 S&W. Once fired and cleaned. I want to keep it local if possible or shipping if you too far from me. I like to start off with 1000 rds.

emc718

Patiently Waiting
    Jan 26, 2013
    Essex MD
    ibang1 did you happen to find a local source for 40 s&w brass? anyone know more about the freestate rules for collecting brass , id be willing to volunteer time for brass if possible.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Bump.

I'm getting into reloading as well. I am in need of .40 S&W. Once fired and cleaned. I want to keep it local if possible or shipping if you too far from me. I like to start off with 1000 rds.

You need to pay attention to 40S&W brass - you may find some with "Glock" bulges/smilies" that will need to be dealt with when you go to reload them.
    Both Lee & Redding make a tool iron out the bulges.

They may give you chambering issues, if you do not remove those bulges.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Bump.

Here is a pic below of what is refered to "Glocked" 40 S&W brass. Its caused from a non fully supported chamber common on some Glocks.

They look more like a frown with the base side down, they smile the other way, lol.

The tool to remove them is the Lee Bulge Buster, or Redding GRX die. It pushes the case entirely through a die into a catch container. Normal full sizing dies will not remove these, since pistol brass is not sized all the way down.

If you are buying once fired 40S&W brass, you will need to inspect your cases for this. If your 40 is a non supported chamber, most loading manuals state to not reload for those, due to possible case blowout/rupture.

The case on the left is looking at a bulged case straight on, the one on the right is turned to the right side.

Attachments

• FROWNING40.jpg
      FROWNING40.jpg
      69.4 KB · Views: 122

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    You need to pay attention to 40S&W brass - you may find some with "Glock" bulges/smilies" that will need to be dealt with when you go to reload them.
    Both Lee & Redding make a tool iron out the bulges.

They may give you chambering issues, if you do not remove those bulges.

Thanks for the safety information and looking out for others. Your a good man!

I saw the two brass and to be honest I really can't tell the difference. I guess I need to physically see or feel for the difference. I really appreciate the lookout.

I just got my Lee Loadmaster with .40 S&W. Not sure if I have a tool that will take the bulge out. I'm not sure if it is attached. I still haven't set anything up.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    Took over a few minutes and I kept looking and looking. I see the bulge. LOL

I guess its better to examine the brass on the right first. You can see how at the top it curves in.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall
    ibang1 did you happen to find a local source for 40 s&w brass? anyone know more about the freestate rules for collecting brass , id be willing to volunteer time for brass if possible.

Sorry, no luck. I have been trying online. I bumped the post up hoping someone would respond back and I could find someone locally.

Some of the post were old so I didn't want to PM them until they posted back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    BuffaloBrent

Latest threads

Top Bottom