• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Doesn't matter if the gun is new or old. What's your online gun purchase nightmare?

I'll start. Purchased two antique Colt SAA revolvers online from a "reputable" dealer a couple of years ago for eight Gs. Described (with photos) as original, honest wear, 40-50% blue remaining, nice bores, fully-functional actions. Spoke to dealer on phone before buying to verify both were solid, working, and shootable. Guns arrive at my place two days after payment.

Revolver #1:
    1) First hammer click doesn't work. Not a huge deal but not what I was told on phone.
    2) Front half of barrel bore completely rusted out. No hint of rifling left. Needs new barrel. Online photo looks different.
    3) Firing pin ground down to a dull nub. Maybe half of normal length. Gun cannot be fired. Needs new firing pin.

Revolver #2:
    1) Hammer and firing pin look brand new. Obvious that neither is original.
    2) Cylinder stop doesn't work. Gets stuck inside frame every second or third firing sequence and gun loses timing.
    3) Cylinder badly peened by firing pin (not by me) in about two dozen places, including two or three cylinder bores that cannot be loaded.

I paid a premium for these. Did not buy them as project guns. I was lucky and got my money back, only because the dealer grudgingly agreed (after a lengthy argument) to honor the three-day return policy on his website. I've bought plenty of guns online since then with no such problems.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    So far the only disappointment I have suffered is the original mag did not function in a CZ 50, but luckily I had ordered a new mag as soon as I ordered the pistol, as I always want at least one spare mag.

Sorry about what happened to you.

Feb 28, 2013
    Boom, Boom...that sucks. Glad you got your eight gees back. Why not name the online dealer?

If this were posted in the WC I'd be with you in wantin' to tar and feather these yahoos. But this part of the site shows up in search engines.

I've been lucky too. My Norinco 84S, AR-180, and SPAS-12 that I bought sight unseen are fine shooters. I only have the one attempted armlist purchase of an AR-180 I got burned on.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Very interesting thread idea. I was thinking about starting something very similar that was more about what was the most horrible (and surprisingly good) firearm you have received when bought unseen (like most surplus rifle purchases).

For me, hands down, the worst rifle I have received from an online vendor was a US Property Marked No 4 Mk I*. The thing was a real dog with a dark, pitted barrel with rust and a chewed up stock. The most surprisingly good was my "Chinese" SKS that was actually an all matching Russian Tula.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If this were posted in the WC I'd be with you in wantin' to tar and feather these yahoos. But this part of the site shows up in search engines.

Yep. That's why the dealer shall remain anonymous. Dealer and I worked it out, but we shouldn't have needed to.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Nothing really terrible, so far (knock on wood). I've over-paid a bit for a couple of things, but they were calculated gambles, and were valued up to what I paid in a year, or so. I guess the one dog that I got unexpectedly was a gallery gun that arrived with hardware store parts holding it together that were conveniently not showing in the photos. No real problem, though, because I bought it for parts and paid accordingly ... and some of the parts that I needed were better than expected.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Boom Boom (and others)

First, thanks for sharing your nightmare. I think it would help readers if you could add "lessons learned" from your experience. For example, were the pics just blurry enough that you couldn't see that the hammer on revolver #2 wasn't original? And did the pics intentionally not show the back of the cylinders which would have allowed you to see the peening?

Obviously having the 3-day return policy gave you leverage in the argument with the dealer. That should be lesson learned #1 for any online purchase.

Thanks,

JoeR

JasonB

Ultimate Member
    Sep 4, 2012
    Belcamp
    Yep. That's why the dealer shall remain anonymous. Dealer and I worked it out, but we shouldn't have needed to.

What about the next guy that this dealer tries to scam? Better to know up front that the descriptions are less than reputable than to have to fight for your money later.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    First, thanks for sharing your nightmare. I think it would help readers if you could add "lessons learned" from your experience. For example, were the pics just blurry enough that you couldn't see that the hammer on revolver #2 wasn't original? And did the pics intentionally not show the back of the cylinders which would have allowed you to see the peening?

Pictures were clear and hi-res. Replacement hammer had darkish grease on it to make it look older in the photos. Peening not shown in photos. The cylinder was carefully positioned to hide it (not by coincidence in my opinion). Was more entertaining when the guy received the gun back and said he didn't see it. The peening was deep, numerous, and painfully obvious. The rusted out barrel issue was much worse. The online bore photo appeared to be from a different gun when I compared the gun in person with the photo. You get the idea. I didn't go in naively. I'm familiar with 1st gen SAAs and fair value. The guns were represented to be something they were not. Live and learn. Now I'm much more careful and selective about who I do business with sight unseen. The dealer in question has been well-known nationally for decades in the antique handgun market but shall remain nameless here.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What about the next guy that this dealer tries to scam? Better to know up front that the descriptions are less than reputable than to have to fight for your money later.

Read up on libel/slander and the cost of fighting a lawsuit against you for it, no matter how justified you think you are. If you've got $50K to 100K or more to burn on principle, then more power to you.

Bafflingbs

Gozer the Destroyer
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2013
    Calvert County
    Nothing to report here. The 20 some purchases on line, thru various sources have all been 100%. Knock on wood. (and I did) Even gunbroker has been good to me.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Years ago I bought an HK clone SBR. Took a year to get and then the paperwork was lacking. Found out later the A$$hole was selling guns not yet in his inventory. Later he got in trouble with BATFE. Ronnies Weapons in LA. I always hoped hurricane Katrina washed him into the gulf and he got eaten by sharks.

Jul 1, 2012
    Not so much a disaster as a true disappointment:

Colt 1905 cut for shoulder-stock, presented as an 80+% gun with original finish (and appeared to be). One in that condition is hard to find, and with the shoulder-stock cut -- woo-hoo! Decently priced after some back-and-forth.

When it arrived discovered immediately that the slide had the typical crack at the slide lock slot and on top of that the gun had been factory refurbished/refinished (not as big a deal as the crack!). I had done as Boom Boom and talked to the dealer before pulling the trigger, and asked specifically about these two things. Assured it was all right and tight. The fact they had several other old Colts mis-identified should have been a red flag I suppose.

Good news was there was no issue on returns or refunds, and the dealer in turn gave the gun back to the consignor. So if you see a Colt 1905 S/N 1234 (no kidding, a cool #), beware.

But overall the successes far outweigh the failures, which other than this 1905 were mostly some minor disappointments in condition on arrival.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    But overall the successes far outweigh the failures, which other than this 1905 were mostly some minor disappointments in condition on arrival.

I emphasize the same thing. Plenty of subsequent online purchases and pleased with all of them. The only issues remotely approaching disappointment were a 32ACP Ortgies with a 25ACP firing pin and a Polish Wz48 with a badly worn firing pin causing light strikes. I didn't care since both guns are beautiful. Easily fixed both issues myself for very little money. I made the new Wz48 firing pin with steel bar stock, riffler files, and a good dose of patience. I found it to be more fun than tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom