• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I don't know if anyone posted about this already recently. I'm wondering who is going to dare open carry on their MD permit. I read it's not allowed to be "showing" at MD rest areas. So, when will the meet and dine gatherings start? Red counties only, blue not exactly recommended. Maybe Garrett county or other "almost WV". MD "showing" gatherings. ???

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Here’s the COMAR restriction on rest areas:
    COMAR 11.04.07.12
    The display or discharge of firearms, pellet guns, B-B guns, and fireworks of any kind is prohibited.

More here:

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Comar is as clear as my teenage face.

it begs the question, what does "display" mean in the context of a rest stop. is a holstered pistol "displayed"?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This day and age, if you try to open carry an AR, you're an idiot and deserve the attention you are looking for.

Nosce Hostem

MDS Supporter
    Aug 26, 2016
    Northern Balt. County, MD
    And again…

My brother and his wife are both police sergeants in my home town back in AZ. Talked to him and many other friends who are officers there and they aren’t fazed during a traffic stop or when seeing a holstered pistol on a person out in public. As long as you’re not being an active threat they just ignore it, and you, and move on with their day.

I think biggest thing is experience, once more and more of us have permits and cops here get used to encountering legally armed citizens they’ll relax a bit more. At least that’s my hope.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't know if anyone posted about this already recently. I'm wondering who is going to dare open carry on their MD permit. I read it's not allowed to be "showing" at MD rest areas. So, when will the meet and dine gatherings start? Red counties only, blue not exactly recommended. Maybe Garrett county or other "almost WV". MD "showing" gatherings. ???
    Carrying PERIOD is not allowed in rest stop building in Maryland right now. So open carrying at a rest stop in general would attractive negative attention. And open carrying in any buildings at a rest stop will be more than negative attention.

Your best bet? Open carry place you are reasonably sure aren’t going to get you negative attention.

Want to be some 2A auditor, go right ahead, it’s your life. I don’t have the time or money or patients to deal with people calling the cops on me. Let alone some cop that decides it’s better to just arrest me and we’ll figure out if I was really carrying illegally. On top of that, to me it is a stop and think about why I am carrying. Unless it’s for show, I don’t particularly want to tip a bad guy that I have a gun. First, I don’t want to make me a higher priority target or make me a “shoot, not threaten” target. Next, I don’t want my gun somewhere someone could grab it from me, even if I have decent situational awareness. There have been a few cases of that happening to cops and a fair number from civilians open carrying.

Yes open carrying MIGHT intimidate someone bent on bad things.

Overall, IMHO concealed carrying is lower risk to me overall.

All open carry when hiking/camping in state forests once we get that restriction dropped. And on my own property. That’ll probably be it until MD culture changes. Which isn’t going to be overnight. But it does start with anyone being able to get a permit to carry.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Here’s the COMAR restriction on rest areas:
    COMAR 11.04.07.12

More here:
    Same thought from me: What is the legal definition of “display”?

Switching gears: slowly and systematically we legal carry permit users need to normalize open carry. It’s going to take years, but little by little, one step at a time and in the right spaces and places, everything we do need to become a normal thing for Marylanders to see and become comfortable with.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    This is handgun open carry, not rifles. Assumed legal with permit, as I recall from researching it a bunch of years ago ( the rest area part came from MD shall issue's info on their site). Yes, it will take some time to get there, but was just wondering if anyone was up to it at a small gathering in a 2A friendly part of the state. It seems a non issue in the surrounding states. Most people don't even notice. The ones that do ask questions, and there are few negative reactions. Now I haven't been in PA or DE doing it for some years now. I think the last time may have been 2015, in DE. In Newark, which is a sprawling town area with plenty of MD people shopping. DELOC dinner groups, meeting monthly. I open carried at Cabelas and was pretty much positive. The guy at the gun counter had no issue, and there was some guy who was off duty cop who flirted with me. At checkout, some employees were discussing it. DE OC has been going on for many years though, as is in PA. I was actually being a bit sarcastic and snarky in my question, wondering when the OC gatherings will begin. I guess I will follow with being cynical. Gen X is in the room. MD OC? NOT!

LoneWolf123

MDS Supporter
    Jul 17, 2022
    Maryland
    This is handgun open carry, not rifles. Assumed legal with permit, as I recall from researching it a bunch of years ago ( the rest area part came from MD shall issue's info on their site). Yes, it will take some time to get there, but was just wondering if anyone was up to it at a small gathering in a 2A friendly part of the state. It seems a non issue in the surrounding states. Most people don't even notice. The ones that do ask questions, and there are few negative reactions. Now I haven't been in PA or DE doing it for some years now. I think the last time may have been 2015, in DE. In Newark, which is a sprawling town area with plenty of MD people shopping. DELOC dinner groups, meeting monthly. I open carried at Cabelas and was pretty much positive. The guy at the gun counter had no issue, and there was some guy who was off duty cop who flirted with me. At checkout, some employees were discussing it. DE OC has been going on for many years though, as is in PA. I was actually being a bit sarcastic and snarky in my question, wondering when the OC gatherings will begin. I guess I will follow with being cynical. Gen X is in the room. MD OC? NOT!
    I don’t see the point of OC when you can CC. Just raises too many possible issues and brings up to much attention to yourself.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I shot a Falling Steel match up at the AGC this morning so I left the house with my shirt tucked in and a 320 in a dead cow holster in it's usual spot and made a stop for a bagel. Four employees at the Dunkin Donuts in Elkridge (the OG, not the new one by Mutiny) didn't notice or didn't care, same with the guy waiting for his coffee and the soccer mom who came in to pick up her order that was on the counter.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don’t see the point of OC when you can CC. Just raises too many possible issues and brings up to much attention to yourself.
    It doesn’t have to. OWB with a loose flannel, sweat shirt, polo or Hawaiian shirt (if you are racist) and your carry piece will be missed by lots of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom