• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I am looking to buy my first 12 gauge shotgun and wanted some opinions. I hope to keep the purchase price below $550. I want a pump action shotgun. I have been looking at the Winchester Super X Pump Defender Shotgun $379 and the Remington 870 Express Tactical. Any thoughts? I have been told that Winchester has smoother action and loads the shells better. However, others say that the Remington 870 is the best on the market for pump action. I have held both in store and they main difference is that the Remington costs $150 more and holds more shells.
    I would really like a Winchester 1300 combo, but it is no longer made.

if it is for "Home Defense" only then as Joe Biden says get yourself a double barrel shotgun. just saying

Daiuy

May 31, 2013
    I own the Mossberg 500, Remington 870, and the Winchester SXP and they are all excellent pump shotguns. The Winchester seems to cycle the rounds faster but not by much. The Mossberg and Remington have many choices in extra barrels that can accomodate any of your needs. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose any of them, or all of them like me.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    Mainly looking for home defense, but also want to occasionally want to target shoot skeet/clays.

Here we go again. Get a gun for HD. Outfit it for it's purpose. Then get a different gun for Clays. Different animals.

And now I wait for the usual anecdotal chorus of "I break 100 straight with my Mossy Tacticool."
    "With my 870 and ghost sights, I can beat all the guys with those fancy guns."

This has been discussed a thousand times. I'm still waiting at the range for someone to put some money on them versus me in regulation Skeet or Trap (100 birds). Me with my guns, and them with their HD gun.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    Here we go again. Get a gun for HD. Outfit it for it's purpose. Then get a different gun for Clays. Different animals.

And now I wait for the usual anecdotal chorus of "I break 100 straight with my Mossy Tacticool."
    "With my 870 and ghost sights, I can beat all the guys with those fancy guns."

This has been discussed a thousand times. I'm still waiting at the range for someone to put some money on them versus me in regulation Skeet or Trap (100 birds). Me with my guns, and them with their HD gun.

I'm guessing that a championship skeet shooter might do very well with just about any gun you hand them. I'd love to hand a tacticool
    Shotgun to one just to watch and admire their skill.

(I'm awful at skeet, buy I have a hell of a lot of fun when I get the chance to shoot)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    To the OP...for a HD gun go with the advice you're getting - Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. As said, lots of options and reasonable. I bought my Mossberg 500 Persuader (9 shot) WITH a light and mount for well under your $550 price point. Just gotta shop.

As an aside...for clays, IMHO, the Browning BPS outclasses both the Mossberg and the Remington for a pump gun. For the money the BPS has the best wood, best bluing, best fit & finish, and the smoothest action out of the box. It's great for both right and left-handed shooters...and for those Reloaders out there it drops the hulls right at your feet for easy pick-up! I have a 28 gauge BPS and I LOVE shooting it.

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm guessing that a championship skeet shooter might do very well with just about any gun you hand them.

I don't know about that. Seems to me they're at their best with THEIR blaster and ONLY their blaster. Chances are a lot of customization work has been done to said blaster.

I'd love to hand a tacticool
    Shotgun to one just to watch and admire their skill.

Me too, just to see what he could do with it.

(I'm awful at skeet, buy I have a hell of a lot of fun when I get the chance to shoot)

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but it's kinda hard to enjoy something while knowing you suck at it. I'll welcome anybody else's thoughts there.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't know about that. Seems to me they're at their best with THEIR blaster and ONLY their blaster. Chances are a lot of customization work has been done to said blaster.

It is 90% the person, 10% the equipment. Pretty much the same for most sports.

But most punters spend 90% of their time, effort, and money on the equipment.

Would they break 500 straight? Probably not. Would the whip most people shooting? YES.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    It seems like everyone has a favorite with no clear winner here. I guess Mossberg dealers will get a visit from me to see what I think..

Nothing is ever easy.......

WHat is the shotgun that Elmer Fudd uses ? Double barrel yes, but the make and model ?

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    I have an 870 and a 500. They are both really reliable and smooth. My 870 was built in 1965, the 500 is only 3 years old. Barring the exception to the rule you won't go wrong either way. I think the 590's are sweet looking but i haven't ever touched it.

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I own the Mossberg 500, Remington 870, and the Winchester SXP and they are all excellent pump shotguns. The Winchester seems to cycle the rounds faster but not by much. The Mossberg and Remington have many choices in extra barrels that can accomodate any of your needs. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose any of them, or all of them like me.

WHat about a double barrel shotgun ? Like the one that Elmer Fudd owns and hunts with ? WHat is the make and model of his if you know ?

white rabbitt

Feb 27, 2013
    I have an 870 and a 500. They are both really reliable and smooth. My 870 was built in 1965, the 500 is only 3 years old. Barring the exception to the rule you won't go wrong either way. I think the 590's are sweet looking but i haven't ever touched it.

by the way, the Mossberg 590A1, Remington 887 Nitro 12 gauge, Mossberg 930

just saying ;-)

TTMD

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2012
    ?..

I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but it's kinda hard to enjoy something while knowing you suck at it. I'll welcome anybody else's thoughts there.

I suck at golf, but enjoy playing because i enjoy hanging out with friends and walking around enjoying someone else's manicured landscaping. I don't see where high strokes or low clay count have to determine your enjoyment of something.

Feb 28, 2013
    I suck at golf, but enjoy playing because i enjoy hanging out with friends and walking around enjoying someone else's manicured landscaping. I don't see where high strokes or low clay count have to determine your enjoyment of something.

I guess it depends in whether or not anyone's watching you screw up. :o

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I guess it depends in whether or not anyone's watching you screw up. :o

Some people care about what others think, and then there is the flip side. NOBODY picks up a shotgun and breaks everything start from the first trigger pull to the last. Even when you are good at it, you still have bad days. It also depends on the amount of practicing you do.

When I first started, I sucked and I had terrible gear. Then, I got good and still had terrible gear. Now, from a lack of practice, I suck and have great gear. Same goes for cycling. I am slow as a turtle on the bike, but look great while going slow. Doesn't mean I no longer enjoy shooting or cycling. If fact, I get out whenever I can to do either. It just isn't quite as often as before a wife and three kids.

Learn to care less about what other people think, do what you like (as long as it is within the law), and you will find life to be a lot more enjoyable. I've rarely been one to follow the crowd and it has suited me well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom