• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I guess everyone is different but I happen to like the G3 HK style drum sight and since I will be starting on my AR-15 build once the April Spikes lower GB comes in I went ahead and found these sights for a good price.

The sights on the HK 416 are expensive and I don't really know the differences as these are much better priced and use the same drum.

416sightset1.jpg

http://www.robertrtg.com/416sights.html

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    The phillips head screw doesn't give me a ton of confidence, but I have no real world knowledge if they are good or bad.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    They've gotta be great quality coming from HK. Looks like it will take some getting used too. You using them as a primary or secondary?

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    They've gotta be great quality coming from HK. Looks like it will take some getting used too. You using them as a primary or secondary?
    HK makes some good stuff but you need to add $$$ for everything they sell.
    These will be used as my primary sights for now and maybe this winter I will look into a red dot. I actually purchased the same drum sights for my Umarex .22 MP-5 and they give me a phenomenal sight picture.

friend has these...supposedly their set to a proper height for ARs and blah blah blah...
    pretty much the same thing...it must be said that the quality on them is damn good, but i think this much for iron sights is a bit...well...much, then again...im an AK guys so...take that for what it is =P

edit: didnt see that those ones are cheaper...

I have seen those sights and thought about purchasing them as an alternative but if I can get the real ones for cheap why not. But then again what's the story on them.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    They work on the SBS's with no issues using slugs and buck. I doubt the poodle shooter you plan to install them on will jar them out of alignment ;) :D

I might recommend you check out XS sights as they are an upgrade on the HK's, but use them as the base.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    They work on the SBS's with no issues using slugs and buck. I doubt the poodle shooter you plan to install them on will jar them out of alignment ;) :D

I might recommend you check out XS sights as they are an upgrade on the HK's, but use them as the base.

Poodle shooter lol. Thanks for the reassurance and recommendation.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I like HK sights for SMGs. They are an upgrade to AK47 sights.

But M16 A2 sights still are the best.

Maybe I need more time on the A2 sights but I never felt comfortable shooting with it and it's just me, I'm weird like that. When I fired my friends MP-5 Bobcat for the first time I was drawn to the drum. And now with the G3 drum I like the fact that the varying diopters allow me to shoot from 25 or 100yd on the fly by turning the drum to the prescribed diopter.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks for your inputs. I went ahead and purchase them and will report on how well they hold 0.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    They are Okay....Just remember the circle of light:)

I'm just partial to the AR sight and eotech

Attachments

• 220px-Visierlinie.jpg
      220px-Visierlinie.jpg
      3.9 KB · Views: 459
    • eot1.jpg
      eot1.jpg
      29 KB · Views: 534

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    They are Okay....Just remember the circle of light:)

I originally was using the typical HK MP-5 drum sights before and have found them to be designed for close combat where the diopter holes have no elevation change and it's based on preference. Having to even out the light around the ring is not bad but it's not the best.

The G3 drum in my opinion is very different in that the the diopter holes are all the same size (except for the quick accusation V) and when you look thought them the objective is to not allow any light to peep on the outer edges of the front sight unlike the MP-5 drum where you have to even out the light on the outside of the sight like the picture above. I found this to be much easier to shoot accurately at distance and if you have to shoot further you can adjust the elevation by simply moving to the next diopter number.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Poodle shooter lol. Thanks for the reassurance and recommendation.

Sorry. That was the x51 NATO snob coming out :D
    I'm glad you took it as the joke it was meant to be. WAY too many people get their feelings hurt around here these days.

I think you'll like the sights!

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    Sorry. That was the x51 NATO snob coming out :D
    I'm glad you took it as the joke it was meant to be. WAY too many people get their feelings hurt around here these days.

I think you'll like the sights!

I come from automotive forum world and a little ribbing is just fine and kind of shakes up the message for the better part of the hilarity. Some people get it and some people don't but when it does penetrate, it changes them for the better.

Looking forward to the sights but more then that I am actually looking forward to Spikes sending the lowers for the April GB.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I have a set. They are not set up to use on ARs.

What is the overall problem with the sights in regard to be used on an AR.
    Is there a upper difference with the HK 416 vs a standard upper on your typical AR upper.

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    You can find a set of HK 416 front and rear here http://www.robertrtg.com/416sights.html for $129 which is reasonable. I like the HK sight design for fast combat acquisition. When you shoot at a long distant paper target, the thickness of the front sight will limit accuracy because it will block the target out. Not so much an issue when shooting at center of mass. I love my H&K G3.
    I have an Eotech mounted on an Ultimak front gas tube mount on one of my AK-47s, and that is pretty awesome also. Shooting at a long distance paper target, the Eotech is 1 moa at 100yds and will cover more of your bullseye at greater distances. Again, shot on center of mass, no problem. The Eotech acquires lightning fast, also.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I bought a pair of them with a sight tool for my Saiga 12 from someone on arfcom - only paid $110 shipped. They are, by far, one of the better options for a raised-rail gun if you don't want to be absolutely forced into a cheek riser.

That said, if you're married to AR-15 sights, the Troy Micros are also a pretty good option, and you can get them for not much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom