• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Which FFL in central MD will accept a long gun transfer from an individual? I got told no by one already. Don't get why not. Is it a law?

Excuse my ignorance. A forum search didn't turn up any useful info.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My local guy says he won't take firearms shipped in from individuals because he has no way to know to verify the identity of the sender. He doesn't want to receive a stolen gun. He'll take a package from another FFL with no problems.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Member FFBWMD is Brian, the owner of South Caroll sporting goods in Woodbine. Great guy and great service for years.

If he can't help you, PM me and I can probably suggest a couple of others that aren't IPs.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When I lived there...The Machine Gun Nest did transfers for me regularly...most were from FFL holders but some were from individuals. Considering the microscope they're under lately they may not be doing that so much.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Thanks everyone. I did leave a message with Brian right before posting this. I'm hoping he'll be cool with it.

Thanks 4g64, I'll def get back to you. I was actually already thinking of pinging you regarding a couple of questions I had about match shooting.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Which FFL in central MD will accept a long gun transfer from an individual? I got told no by one already. Don't get why not. Is it a law?

Excuse my ignorance. A forum search didn't turn up any useful info.
    Almost everyone will require your seller to ship via an FFL in her/his state.

Some dealers may make an exception.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD

Why? Can the local FFL verify the person's ID any better? Is it simply the fact that they would be able to see the actual ID and at least verify that it seems real versus receiving a copy of someone's ID in the shipping box? As far as I know, an FFL doesn't have the ability to run someone's license. It can only submit requests for transfer through the FBI website. Or however that works.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've shipped more than a few long guns out of state to FFL's, I'm not an FFL but it's never been even questioned, I tell them I'm a private individual and they just ask for a copy of my driver license.
    I've received guns from private sellers shipped to a few different FFL's and it's never been a problem. I did have one FFL ask me a lot of questions, I only used him once or twice. They all ask what kind of gun it is to be sure it's MD legal.
    BUT that was before UPS and FedEx changed the rules for shipping guns. They won't knowingly ship guns for private individuals anymore. A seller has to be "licensed" and have a verified account with UPS and FedEx.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Long guns and pistols can be shipped from a non-FFL to an FFL.
    handguns cannot be shipped legally by a non-licensed individual, not at all.
    long guns can only be shipped USPS by a non-licensed individual with certain stipulations.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

Dealers are all over the map on their policies , and that doesn’t rise to "almost all " .

How I had it explained to me is the nightmare scenario is gun is shipped in , but the transfer is subsequently denied to the intended buyer. With an FFL involved , they are confident they can usually ship it back to another FFL, and it's on them to ultimately sort it out. ( Not always .Small businesses fail and go out of business, or a sole proprietor can suddenly keel over from natural causes , and not have a succession plan . But usually. ) Can be more difficult to get hold of and individual , and arrange return shipping.

One way of dealing is an example by my one FFL buddy . As part of his posted policies , if such a gun doesn't have suitable arrangements made with X days , it is forfeit to his store . I'll check with him this weekend if he has ever had to invoke this .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile back at the OP .

It's been assumed in the discussion, but are you speaking of having it Shipped in , or the ( damn auto correct) transferring party be there in person and hand it over the counter ?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    handguns cannot be shipped legally by a non-licensed individual, not at all.
    long guns can only be shipped USPS by a non-licensed individual with certain stipulations.
    Nonlicensees can legally ship both long guns and handguns by contract carrier interstate to FFLs, but it’s just a matter of recent corporate policy that UPS and FedEx won’t or have added hoops.

Why? Can the local FFL verify the person's ID any better? Is it simply the fact that they would be able to see the actual ID and at least verify that it seems real versus receiving a copy of someone's ID in the shipping box? As far as I know, an FFL doesn't have the ability to run someone's license. It can only submit requests for transfer through the FBI website. Or however that works.
    FFLs can verify the shipping FFL’s license number on the ATF eZcheck website. With only a photocopy of a nonlicensee’s ID and without the person standing in front of them, many FFLs don’t feel comfortable taking guns from nonlicensees by shipping anymore.

As a former FFL employee, I can say "The juice isn't worth the squeeze" when it comes to receiving shipped firearms from an individual. Far too many things can go sideways for the small fee collected.
    When receiving a firearm from another FFL, it was logged into their bound book. If something goes wrong, you simply tell the authorities to take it up with the previous FFL.
    I once had an ATF trace on an SKS purchased on my C&R 03 license. Once I provided the ATF with a copy of the buyer's DL with a handwritten, and signed, acknowledgement of him legally buying and taking possession of the rifle the ATF said thank you and I never heard from them again. You never want to be the last person on the paper trail of a firearm used in something nefarious.

floatingboy

Apr 19, 2014
    Lisbon, MD
    Thanks. I can understand that reasoning. Given what you said, do you think that the type of long gun being transferred might have any influence on the receiving FFL's attitude? For example, I am buying a Remington Rolling Block that has been re-barreled and has a new stock on it. It's definitely a target rifle. Not the type of rifle that's liable to come up in some sort of armed robbery or other type of crime.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    Nonlicensees can legally ship both long guns and handguns by contract carrier interstate to FFLs, but it’s just a matter of recent corporate policy that UPS and FedEx won’t or have added hoops.

FFLs can verify the shipping FFL’s license number on the ATF eZcheck website. With only a photocopy of a nonlicensee’s ID and without the person standing in front of them, many FFLs don’t feel comfortable taking guns from nonlicensees by shipping anymore.
    IS THERE A CONTRACT CARRIER BESIDES UPS, FEDEX, USPS, and DHS says no firearms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom