• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    I have been looking for a 9mm Luger for a long, long time. The prices I had seen were always super high and was resigned to keep looking for the foreseeable future.

I happened to be browsing an online dealer whom I just recently found out about, Checkpoint Charlie, and I ran into an S/42 (Mauser) example, 1938, with a bit of a worn finish. The price looked reasonable and when I looked at the description I saw that it was an all-matching gun, and it came with a matching magazine. I mulled it over a bit, then called and spoke with the owner, Charlie Justmann, who said he'd just posted it a day or so before. I asked about the bore, he went and got the gun, and said it looked great. I pulled the trigger and ordered it right there and then. That was Tuesday. Today, it came. I was not disappointed! The bore is bright and shiny, all parts that I could see are matching, including the wood grips, and the matching magazine was just a huge plus for me. The exterior bluing is mostly gone on the barrel and other wear-heavy areas such as the grip, but otherwise it appears to be in great functioning shape. I've ordered replacement springs from Wolff, so I'll be swapping them hopefully early next week.

Here are the pics after I field-stripped, cleaned and oiled it.
    Luger%20Right%20S.jpg

Luger%20left%20S.jpg

Luger%20mag%20S.jpg

Luger%20Top%20S.jpg

Luger%20Bore%20S.jpg

Luger%20frame%20barrel%20S.jpg

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    Nice gun! I just recently bought my first Luger. Went bang with every pull of the trigger. I still have a lot to learn for sure. Enjoy it!

-Whitey

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Nice find, I have a all matching, except for the mag. 1918 Erfurt, that I picked up in 2013 for a decent price at a LGS.

c33m0n3y

Mar 14, 2010
    Howard County
    Thanks for the comments. I do plan to shoot it but only after getting a replacement magazine and grips, as I don't want to damage the originals. I also want to swap the springs as the originals may be 70+ years old. Regarding pricing, PM me if you're interested. I would rather not post cost info here.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I was looking at one a couple months ago at a show wanted 1K, numbers matching BUT it was a 7.65 I really want a 9.

I would have bought it....in fact I kinda did :)

A local gun store had a 1920s DWM Luger , all matching except magazine with decent blue still intact for 1K. I, too, preferred a 9mm rather than 7.65, but those guns in that condition are rarely encountered in prices under about 1400 - 1500. 7.65 ammo isn't hard to find online and is actually not bad to shoot

I did just acquire (a few weeks ago) a 2nd P08...1916 Erfurt all matching except mag and replacement grips, 9mm, decent blue, possibly needing springs for $850. the guy who had this one originally wanted 1K, but when I pointed out the grips were replacments, he came down in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom