• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    I finally got my first handgun, a Ruger P95. I have been waiting and looking for a longtime before I bought this gun. Now I'm itching to take it out to the range.
    For those of you looking for a dealer which has competitive prices, I recommend the "The Gun Shop" in Essex.(1614 Eastern Ave to be exact). I went to a lot of gun shop from Towson, whitemarsh and even the Arundel/glen Burnie area, and believe me they have the best gun prices available. Just what my/our shallow pockets are looking for these days.The staff are also very friendly and willing to help out( NIck and Bob).

What ammo would be good for self/home defense by the way?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    P95s may not be pretty but they are a fine piece at that price point. I think that it's a good choice as it's a balance between function and price.

If it's anything like the one that I've shot several times, it will digest anything.

My current favorite in 9mm defensive rounds are the Federal HSTs. I'm also a pretty big fan of the CorBon stuff.

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    Yes the P95s weren't the prettiest of the bunch( I was also eyeing the SR9 , which was real good looking) but for the money, $330 new, I think it was money well spent. :D

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    No doubt...you'll get a lot of service from it.

beaglefan

Nov 29, 2008
    Essex md.
    I had a good experience there myself about a year or so ago.They orderd a complete Bushmaster lower with folding stock for me.$30 less then I could find anywhere else at the time.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Congrats on your first.
    It's true, P95's usually don't win beauty contests. But if yours shoots like my P89, it'll be a lot of fun and you'll enjoy it.

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    $330 new is $15 less than I paid for mine 3 or 4 years ago. And I really shopped around for a good deal back then. Of course Ruger threw a $40 rebate in so I really paid $309. It's a great reliable gun with pretty good accuracy. Mags are plentiful and it truly will digest any cartridge I've put through it.

Congrats on it, and practice often.

crabhab

Feb 14, 2007
    If I remember correctly the Ruger p85 was rugers entry into the second military trials in the late 80's. Recently the Army bought like 5000+ P95's on a contract I have no idea what they did with those pistols. I know that the US military has bought thousands of S&W sigma 9mm, and some M&P's in 9mm for afgan and Iraqi police and military use.

rainman73guns

Dec 18, 2008
    I took my P95 today at the range, and fired 150 bullets. on the first shot, very first, the slide remained open and FTF. I said to myself damn I dont want to have a P95 that jams. But after that 2nd to the 150th shot all were jam free. I haven't cleaned yet the pistol . Accurate at 25 yards. I did shoot at 50yards but not a lot since I got the gun for SD and I think I wont have to shoot anybody farther than 25 yards:).
    I used the Independence ammo that I got from the dealer and 2 50 boxes from SelectFire, I forgot the brand( expensivee at 16+ bucks per 50. After that I immediately went to Walmart to buy their last 2 boxes of 9mm ammo (Blazer) at 8.67 a box of 50

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    don't worry, a lot of guns need to have a few rounds through them to break them in.
    If you still get jams after a few hundred rounds then you can start to look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom