• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    I have a AK receiver I'd like to get parked and painted. I dont really have much of a preference over duracoat, ceracoat or whatever gun paints are out there as any of them will provide adequate protection for a range gun.

Anyways I asked a while back and I was pointed towards some guy named Rick in Fredrick MD, looks like the shop he used to run closed and now he runs a gun smithing business out of his house. I've tried to contact him several times with no luck, so I'm curious as to if there is anyone else who can do the job in MD. I live in MoCo and I'm willing to drive for good work. The painting portion isn't as important to me as parkerizing, I'd rather have a good park job with out it getting painted than to get a low quality work done on the parking and painting.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    There are some members here with the supplies/tools necessary to help you do this yourself, if you're willing to tackle it. It isn't too terribly difficult, and you have the satisfaction of being able to say you did it. Look in the AK group build forum (subforum of rifles) and you should be able to find some folks to send private messages to.

offroaD

Jun 1, 2011
    There are some members here with the supplies/tools necessary to help you do this yourself, if you're willing to tackle it. It isn't too terribly difficult, and you have the satisfaction of being able to say you did it. Look in the AK group build forum (subforum of rifles) and you should be able to find some folks to send private messages to.

I've researched the process my self quite a bit so I am confident in doing it my self, the only thing is that I live in an apartment and I'm not really in the mood to buy the chemicals, and dispose of them correctly. But it looks more and more like I'll have to do it my self. Doing a simple receiver should be do able in the balcony, plus it's still new so decreasing it should be a walk in the park.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    I've researched the process my self quite a bit so I am confident in doing it my self, the only thing is that I live in an apartment and I'm not really in the mood to buy the chemicals, and dispose of them correctly. But it looks more and more like I'll have to do it my self. Doing a simple receiver should be do able in the balcony, plus it's still new so decreasing it should be a walk in the park.

if you meant "degreasing", no. it won't be. several trips from the oven (or heat gun) to the simple green, then spray with brake cleaner, then back to the heat, back and forth for at least 3-4 trips, probably more. perhaps a good soak (not dip and remove, SOAK...for 10-15 minutes minimum) in acetone as the final step just to be sure.

i wasn't joking when I said there's members here with blasting facilities, parkerizing tanks and full setups already set to go. hit up the ak group build forum and drop some PMs. or, as foodpoison said, wait for word on the next build party and do it then. the gentleman i'm thinking of is incredibly generous, even if he's looking more and more like wooly willy these days. :D

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    I have a chance to get a decent deal on a 1944 Colt 1911 that someone "refinished". Given the price and the fact that it has already been ruined from a collector's perspective, I'd like to get an idea of what it would cost to have it blasted and parkerized to at least resemble how it would have looked in 1944. Any suggestions about local Maryland shops or individuals who can do this would be appreciated.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I have a AK receiver I'd like to get parked and painted. I dont really have much of a preference over duracoat, ceracoat or whatever gun paints are out there as any of them will provide adequate protection for a range gun.

Anyways I asked a while back and I was pointed towards some guy named Rick in Fredrick MD, looks like the shop he used to run closed and now he runs a gun smithing business out of his house. I've tried to contact him several times with no luck, so I'm curious as to if there is anyone else who can do the job in MD. I live in MoCo and I'm willing to drive for good work. The painting portion isn't as important to me as parkerizing, I'd rather have a good park job with out it getting painted than to get a low quality work done on the parking and painting.

That's something we can handle for you, I work in conjunction with Rick from Frederick Arsenal. Send me a message and we can talk about it.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom