• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shemp

Feb 21, 2013
    Out There
    I’ve gotten conflicting responses from individuals and officers. Is Md carry permit just concealed or is it open also.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That was my take. Unfortunately way to many officers see it otherwise. I’d never carry open any way.
    Refer them to MD Statute 4-203 which excepts permit holders from the prohibition against the wear, carry or transport of a handgun, either OPEN OR CONCEALED

No where on the permit does it say concealed

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Judging when or whether it makes sense to carry openly in any given part of Maryland is a personal judgement call once you have the permit. You definitely have to "read the room" to decide if the potential hassle is worth the trouble of showing your piece. Virtually everywhere I go in my county, my evaluation of the people around me is that there is always at least one that would make (at the very least) a scene. When we're more yonder, or on our way through VA to WV, I use a different and sliding scale depending on who's who and where's where.

It would be great if we could normalize this stuff for Maryland's hyper-Karen suburban population. But it's a generational thing, not a "now we're shall-issue, presto!" kinda thing.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This is the statute. It does not specify that you must conceal it.
    1000025965.jpg
    1000025966.jpg
    1000025967.jpg

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    More specifically you are prohibited from carry either open or concealed by 4-203.

Then it says permit holders are exempt from it, making open or concealed carry legal only for permit holders

Attachments

• 86596307-1567-47AC-85B0-5996DD617715.png
      86596307-1567-47AC-85B0-5996DD617715.png
      160.1 KB · Views: 42
    • CEF89CDB-B6E4-4C0A-8027-3573DDB2D725.png
      CEF89CDB-B6E4-4C0A-8027-3573DDB2D725.png
      165.2 KB · Views: 41
    Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Judging when or whether it makes sense to carry openly in any given part of Maryland is a personal judgement call once you have the permit. You definitely have to "read the room" to decide if the potential hassle is worth the trouble of showing your piece. Virtually everywhere I go in my county, my evaluation of the people around me is that there is always at least one that would make (at the very least) a scene. When we're more yonder, or on our way through VA to WV, I use a different and sliding scale depending on who's who and where's where.

It would be great if we could normalize this stuff for Maryland's hyper-Karen suburban population. But it's a generational thing, not a "now we're shall-issue, presto!" kinda thing.
    When I finally got my permit, I carried in an OWB pancake at 4 o'clock, made no effort to conceal. If it was cold enough I'd wear a jacket. Went into places in Wheaton, Rockville and Silver Spring but seemingly attracted no attention - mostly grocery stores, gas stations and the like. (I've found that there's little to attract me in the area anyway.)

Now that MoCo is going all FU SCOTUS, I've gone to IWB tuckable on the rare occasions that I leave the house strapped. It's pretty much invisible, and despite my 5.11 cargo pants no one seems to take me seriously as a threat. Maybe bald, fat 75 year old guy just doesn't read that way?

I admit I avoid the nests of Karens that infest the place. We have nothing in common, seemingly.

I eagerly await the court bitch-slapping the County, so I can get back to regular carry. The original level of oppression was bad enough, but the current situation is straight-up insulting. Hell, even Scary-Hair Raskin told them it was no go. (Of course, he's a Constitutional Scholar, like Barry-O).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom