• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Warning... Rant...

So after working a 14.5 hour shift today, I come home and notice this moving object with red and green lights flying circles over my house for about 10 minutes. I am just sitting in the driveway trying to figure out what the hell this fudging things doing and how I get rid of it. It is probably flying 15-20 feet over the top of my house and dipping down and such... I watched it land back in my neighbors yard and the lights stopped after 30 seconds. At first, I was thinking that is kind of cool... Than I realized, what happens if that drone has a go pro or something. I got pretty darn creeped out over this... Now all I want to do is shoot the f-ing thing out of the sky. I live on a decent size farm with no houses within a 150 yards. How was he controlling the drone flying around my house perfectly without a camera device?

Am I allowed to shoot this thing out of the sky? I have A LOT of buckshot and a really nice new extended choke for my shotgun I have never used.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I might suggest talking to the neighbor for starters.

If that doesn't work, perhaps some kind of radio signal jammer? (Is that legal?)

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Can't imagine you have discharge rights there in Balmer County.

Your Police Chief there would want you to vomit or urinate on it.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I would think if it is within 10 feet of your house you could down it with water from your garden hose.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I would talk to them first before damaging someones drone. Maybe he just got it and is new to flying it? Maybe he would let you try it out? I have three drones from small quads to six prop units. I go to great lengths to be considerate of others and not fly over people homes. Depending on altitude its hard to know if its even there. If he is flying outside of line of sight and does not have an FAA 333 exemption he is outside the law. There are means to try to hijack the lower end drones that use wifi to fly. But again....talk to the guy. There have been cases of people shoot down other peoples RCs and it wind up going to court. Not to say you would be at fault but why cause yourself the headache. If he has FPV he might be able to have video of you doing it. If diplomacy fails then you might need to resort to drastic measures.
    It's pretty hard to see details of people at any kind of height. Here is a shot of Snow Hill at about 400'
    SnowHill5141_zps8a49002b.jpg

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    Don't be a dick Honda. I get the privacy thing but really? Destroying someone's property without even contacting them first is a dbag move and likely would result in future unfriendly relations and a run in with johnny law.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Don't be a dick Honda. I get the privacy thing but really? Destroying someone's property without even contacting them first is a dbag move and likely would result in future unfriendly relations and a run in with johnny law.

Agreed, Try to be friendly about it first. If the guy is cool maybe he'll let you fly it. If this is a neighbor and you don't plan on moving anytime soon might be best to try and make friends before making enemies that live next door to you. If he's a dick about it them you might need to call some authorities.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD

Agreed, Try to be friendly about it first. If the guy is cool maybe he'll let you fly it. If this is a neighbor and you don't plan on moving anytime soon might be best to try and make friends before making enemies that live next door to you. If he's a dick about it them you might need to call some authorities.

In the OP's post it sounds like the neighbor is already being a dick by circling the OP's house with a drone. You can only assume that the neighbor is using the drone to video parts of the OP's house and upper floors not accessible from street level. I would tell the neighbor that the drone is unwelcome on my property and that it will be downed if it circles the house again.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I would talk to them first before damaging someones drone. Maybe he just got it and is new to flying it? Maybe he would let you try it out? I have three drones from small quads to six prop units. I go to great lengths to be considerate of others and not fly over people homes. Depending on altitude its hard to know if its even there. If he is flying outside of line of sight and does not have an FAA 333 exemption he is outside the law. There are means to try to hijack the lower end drones that use wifi to fly. But again....talk to the guy. There have been cases of people shoot down other peoples RCs and it wind up going to court. Not to say you would be at fault but why cause yourself the headache. If he has FPV he might be able to have video of you doing it. If diplomacy fails then you might need to resort to drastic measures.
    It's pretty hard to see details of people at any kind of height. Here is a shot of Snow Hill at about 400'

Cool! Do they have altimeters????

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

That's pretty incredible. I'm guessing that this picture is from a commercially available drone at a reasonable price point (e.g. <$1,000).

I wonder if these are now being used on Middle Eastern battlefields against us, to look at fortifications, where our soldiers are, etc. I presume they would be shot down quickly, but at a cheap price point, they might be easily replaceable.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    That's pretty incredible. I'm guessing that this picture is from a commercially available drone at a reasonable price point (e.g. <$1,000).

I wonder if these are now being used on Middle Eastern battlefields against us, to look at fortifications, where our soldiers are, etc. I presume they would be shot down quickly, but at a cheap price point, they might be easily replaceable.

My smallest quad was about 1600...I'm not saying what I have into my six prop.....
    The smaller units use wifi and distance is not all that great, plus it pretty easy to disrupt wifi.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Doesn't the OP own the air rights to a certain height over his house and have a reasonable expectation of privacy? Of course the drone has a camera and if it was 10-20-feet over my house on a farm I'd down it since it's legal to shoot a gun. I would speak with the owner ONE time and let him know I don't appreciate it and if it happens again he may not get it back. As far as a jammer being illegal I'd say prove it. And it's the neighbor that's the dick and a douche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom