• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Pistol Grips & PGT&S

10256994_10100375999057051_5243377933655603761_o.jpg

I went to PG Trap and Skeet yesterday with my buddy Tony. He's a merchant marine and spends most of his time out at sea, so time to hang out with him is rare these days. We got there, I got my 870 out of the case, made sure it was on safe and that the action was open. We grabbed our eyes, ears, and shell pouches and then went in to the shop to pickup a card for sporting clays. I put my 870 on the rack in the shop and went up to the counter, the following is the conversation I had with the girl working it....

Girl: "Have you ever shot before?"

Me: "Yes, I've been shooting here for years. I'd like a card with 100 clays for the sporting clay course(going to get my wallet out for my DL)"

Girl: "You can't shoot that here *points to my gun*"

Me: "Sure I can. It's got a 28 inch vent-rib barrel. It's not shorter than 23 inches."

Girl: "It has a pistol-grip on it, they're not allowed here"

Me: "I put that stock on so I can swap back and forth with my wife and change the length of pull. I also have found that I just like the ergonomics better and shoot better with it"

Girl: "Pistol grips aren't sporting stocks. You need to put a regular stock on it if you want to shoot here, those don't serve any sporting purpose. People need to understand that this is a sporting clay and trap range, not a shotgun range"

Me: "Listen, I'm not here to shoot 3 gun, buckshot or slugs. I've got 2 3/4" #8 sporting loads, a 28 inch vent ribbed barrel with IC remchoke, and a collapseable stock for ergonomic reasons. I want to shoot sporting clays, can I get a card or not?"

girl: "No, you need to put a normal stock on, pistol grip stocks aren't allowed here"

Tony: "f-it dude, lets just go golf"

I figured I'd share the experience here before calling the manager after work today. This type of sh!t just bugs me.

Last edited:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Im surprised they didn't specify that the stock had to be wood as well. No evil black stocks allowed :rolleyes:

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have it on good authority from many threads here that there are no FUDDs in the Maryland hunter community. Wait .. I will search for the threads.

BULLLLSHIIIIITTTT. :sad20:

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I still haven't been down to PG for their sporting clays.

Hopefully you will go to another club that will gladly accept your money, I haven't been to any that don't up in PA and the Eastern shore.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Only the police and military should have evil black military-style pistol grip assault stocks.
    It's just like those deadly shoulder things that go up.
    Has ability to disperse with 30 caliber magazine clip heat-seeking bullets in half a second I tell you! 30 magazine clip in half a second!

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Here we go ....

the folks yall call fudds, frogs, suburbanites,rural gun owners and i cant remember all the names yall call them are the folks i have known my whole life. the folks i grew up around, hunted with and talk to every day. somehow yall think they are almost anti gun. hell i know it to be quite the opposite. every one i know would die for their guns, and yours. they are pro gun, pro constitution, pro life religious folk. they didnt like or stand for that mess clinton did. they still wont buy smith and wesson guns because of what s and w did back then. they didnt want the fsa2013. but they still get a bad wrap around here. no wonder the 2a community is as weak as it is. we berate and eat our own. i find it sad.

as for these folks worrying about new laws coming, well shit, they will respect them as much as they do the ones past last year and the ones they passed anytime before that. you folks should get out more and talk to people. more folks are on our side then you think and would vote with us if they were lead to do so. leadership, maybe thats what we need. because what we have now is not leadership, its something far less.

"Fudds" in any significant numbers are pretty much a myth these days. Go to any pro 2A rally, and a good number will be hunters, ranges and hunting clubs openly support our rights, and gun rights organizations. Plenty of examples of hunters leading the way too, the H-burg Outdoor show boycott by hunters to support modern tactical rifles(aka "assault rifles") cost hunting businesses millions, hunters put their money where their mouth is to support our rights. There will always be some gun owning idiots that support gun control, tactical shooters who want mandatory training, CCWers who oppose constitutional carry, and plenty who fall for the mandatory background check scam, plenty of threads around here to prove it too. You get nowhere by singling out a very large group of gun owners, by in large most understand the issues, and support freedom. Educating or debating anyone that doesn't understand or support gun rights is the better way. In many cases gun control groups push the issue, they often use plants and "undercover" tactics to try to split gun rights supporters, or to try to show gun control support by gun owners. How many photos of slimeball gun banning politicians are there shooting a gun, how many of Bloombergs chronies start every gun ban speech with "I support the 2A/own guns/lifelong hunter etc. Imagine that, a small group of radical nutjobs that will lie or decieve to peddle their wares, sad part is some of us fall for it.

:goodpost:

Gratuitous, "I know a guy" rebuttal in 3, 2, 1...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I just got off the phone with the manager, Morgan, who was EXTREMELY belittling, condescending, and rude to me. I informed him that I drove down there yesterday with my merchant marine buddy to shoot sporting clays, but was turned away because my 28" vent-ribbed 870 had a pistol-gripped stock. He said that was correct and their policy is that pistol-gripped stocks are not allowed at PG Trap and Skeet.

I explained again that I put the stock on my gun to give me the ability to swap my gun back and forth between myself and my wife. I also explained that I just happen to prefer the pistol-gripped stock, having shot it and many other types on many different types of shotguns. I also explained that on their own list of rules, they only list 23" minimum barrel length as a gun requirment and say nothing about pistol-gripped stocks or any other cosmetic feature.

He said I sound younger than him and that I just don't understand how things work. I explained that I have been a MSI executive member for years, I work in annapolis to advance 2A rights every year, I worked selling guns for 7 years and I think I know full well how the gun world works. He said I apparently don't. He said that PGT&S worked hard for their "status" and they're not going to go about ruining it by allowing pistol-gripped stocks on their premises. He said that if I've actually seen any sporting event, nobody uses pistol-gripped stocks. He also said , "I understand this new 'modern sporting gun' thing, but that's not going to happen here". I asked if a black polymer monte-carlo stock would be acceptable and he said that yes it would be. I asked why it would be acceptable, since polymer is new and a wooden stock would be found on a traditional sporting gun.

Morgan told me that PGT&S is government operated and he's not going to go try to change anything "just because we might lose a handful of customers you might tell". I asked him to give me one good reason why a pistol gripped shotgun is bad and should be banned at his range compared to any other style of accepted stock. He repeated that they aren't sporting stocks, said they're not going to be acceptable at PGT&S and then hung up on me.

Lovely to have people like this in the gun community in md....especially in charge of a major range here.

oh, and it's odd that I've shot there before without a blink from other people at the range...here's jenni kicking arse.

IMAG3848.jpg

...apparently that was impossible to do, since that stock isn't for sporting use...:mad54:

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Yup, they're fudds alright and probably suffering from some form of battered gunowner syndrome.
    Myrtle Grove down in La Plata has a tiny little shotgun range you could use but I doubt anyone there would care about your evil black military style assault grip.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Do they keep records of who was there, or is it a membership type deal? I didn't bother to check. Maybe an email campaign should be in the works?
    Let them see how few people "you tell".

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I heard Senator Frosh explain that those conspicuous pistol grips are only used to spray bullets from the hip.

Why would anyone try to use a machine gun for sporting clays? You'll just miss what you're spraying your bullets at, and shoot down an airliner full of puppies and kittens by mistake.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Here we go ....

Luckily there are few people in the gun community like the pack of idiots running PG trap, so we set about educating them, or at least putting pressure on them, that serves our interests. It serves no purpose to go blathering about a large mythical group of "fudds" other than to end up looking like an idiot to the majority of hunters and sport shooters that work to preserve our rights.

I'll call PG trap, already sent messages to the NRA and a complaint to PG parks. If any media picks up on it, or it gets enough attention, it might go our way pretty fast, should be easy to verify the story with a call to the manager asking about their policy. Up here a LOT of people shoot clays with pistol gripped turkey guns, add in a bias against ergonomic features for women, and elitism against affordable guns, and there are a few angles to push back against these people without turning it into some BS tactical vs sporting shooter fight.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Smokey,

Is there someone above Morgan? This may be a pattern with this manager. If this is a government run place, then there should be something in writing prohibiting pistol gripped shotguns. If not, you should be allowed to shoot it there. Problem is, if the issue is pushed, they may put it into the rules.

BTW, Morgan acted like a feminine hygiene product. So much for being a manager with customer service skills.

Q

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Thankfully Maryland is such a little state that even a person who lives directly in the middle of it isn't out of the question to take half a day and shoot Sporting Clays somewhere else.

As far as I knew, PG Trap/Skeet is a Parks and Recs operation and obviously not a Private Club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom