• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Got out up at Pheasant Valley Farm in PA today to do a hunt with my buddy. Sure, they're pen-raised birds, but I've only ever been on one pheasant hunt before and it was my friend's first time, so it was enough of a challenge given the circumstances. Had a great day and even got some birds to show for it!

pheasant%20hunt.jpg

Used my 50 year old Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI for the hunt even though it's a fixed full choke. I just let the birds get out a little further before pulling the trigger on them. I nailed 4 in a row and my buddy hit the other two. Not bad for two guys with cheap guns and little to no experience! Can't recommend this place enough, they've been a class act both times I've been there.

Anyway, not much of a point other than to say "I spent my Saturday hunting pheasants! Woooo hoo!!!" :D :innocent0

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    That's awesome. Was it a long drive from MoCo?

I'd like to go too before spring

Not bad really. 2.5 hours from my place in Clarksburg. They're in Robesonia, PA just east of Harrisburg. Basically a good day-trip. Professional people, a nice farm to hunt, great guides and dogs, and you pass by both a Field and Stream store as well as the Bass Pro up there in Harrisburg on your way to or from your hunt! Their website is http://www.pheasantvalleyfarm.com

All they do is upland bird hunting. Pheasants, Chuckars, and quail. He doesn't even work the farm as a "working" farm during the summer. It's all about creating good hunting environments and cover for the birds.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    That's awesome. Was it a long drive from MoCo?

I'd like to go too before spring

Try Caroline county Shooting Preserve on the Shore. Near Denton, Md. Good place 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs from Moco. About 40 to 45 minutes from the Bay Bridge. Also Native Shore. I've got a reservation for a week from tomorrow at Caroline County.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Is it legal to shoot hens? Not knocking you, but when they were in the wild, you could only shoot the cock birds.

Just asking.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    Is it legal to shoot hens? Not knocking you, but when they were in the wild, you could only shoot the cock birds.

Just asking.

Legal in PA in most regions except Wild Pheasant Restoration Areas and some counties south of I-80. Agree with RwWilly, on pen raised birds anything goes.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Just asking.

Yeah, it's legal to shoot pen-raised hens on "preserve" hunts like this. Again, it's not as much of a challenge as a wild hunt would be, but I don't have a dog nor the scratch to fly to the Dakotas for that kind of thing. I do still call "rooster" when they fly just to keep in shape for the day when I can afford to go on a wild hunt.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Got out up at Pheasant Valley Farm in PA today to do a hunt with my buddy. Sure, they're pen-raised birds, but I've only ever been on one pheasant hunt before and it was my friend's first time, so it was enough of a challenge given the circumstances. Had a great day and even got some birds to show for it!

pheasant%20hunt.jpg

Used my 50 year old Ward's Western Field 600A-ERI for the hunt even though it's a fixed full choke. I just let the birds get out a little further before pulling the trigger on them. I nailed 4 in a row and my buddy hit the other two. Not bad for two guys with cheap guns and little to no experience! Can't recommend this place enough, they've been a class act both times I've been there.

Anyway, not much of a point other than to say "I spent my Saturday hunting pheasants! Woooo hoo!!!" :D :innocent0
    I think my son and I are going to do this. Did you use their dog? How much did you tip? I don't want to look like a cheap skate!

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I remember when Southern Pennsylvania had some excellent wild pheasant hunting! Used to go out after work with my 12 gauge almost every day during the season hunting something. Guess I am getting old.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think my son and I are going to do this. Did you use their dog? How much did you tip? I don't want to look like a cheap skate!

Used their dog and guide. Suggested tip is $20/hunter or up. We tipped our guide $50 total for the two of us.

Highly recommend Karen or Suzanne as guides. You can request a guide by name.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Used their dog and guide. Suggested tip is $20/hunter or up. We tipped our guide $50 total for the two of us.

Highly recommend Karen or Suzanne as guides. You can request a guide by name.

Good deal, I texted my Son earlier today and told him to pick a date

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom