• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simplegreen

Professional Nerd
    so some of you might have caught my post about my christmas garand.. well there are too many choices out there. so i need help picking one.

Send me some links to where i can get a good garand dont stress price

1) korea war or prior
    2) original stock (in good shape)
    3) shootable
    4) doesnt have to be super pretty, reality is worth more to me.

thanks gang

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    CMP is your best bet. You get a rifle that's been inspected by an armorer and meets specific grade standards. The down side is you can't actually see the rifle before you purchase it. You may get new non-military wood and replaceing that with a decent set of military wood can be costly. You must also meet the requirments to purchase. Most are easy to meet but you also need to show proof of firing in a match or former military and possibly law enforcement(?)
    I would post on the want to buy forum and see what you are offered. I would ask for a CMP rifle or a rifle that has had the throat erosion checked. You could call around to shops in the state to see what is available. CMP will be the least expensive and from a shop I'm thinking $800 for an acceptable rifle, more if it's nice.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I've been debating on purchasing a Field Grade CMP for the value. I wouldn't expect it to be a perfect shooter, but it should be original. Anyone have thoughts on the Field Grades or pics to share?

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    The field grades may have high throat erosion and will have worn muzzles, with the worn muzzle affecting accuracy the most. They also tend to look beat. Mostly all M1's have been rebuilt so there's no better chance getting an original field grade over a service, or rack grade. The only way to get an original M1 from CMP is to order a collector grade. There is a correct grade which is almost a collector grade but will show more use. The director of CMP has stated if a rifle needs a part to be correct or collector grade they will add it. I have bought correct grades that look almost perfect with the exception of the bolt which has a worn finish or have some dings in the stock.
    I'd still would post a want add and see what happens.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The field grades may have high throat erosion and will have worn muzzles, with the worn muzzle affecting accuracy the most. They also tend to look beat. Mostly all M1's have been rebuilt so there's no better chance getting an original field grade over a service, or rack grade. The only way to get an original M1 from CMP is to order a collector grade. There is a correct grade which is almost a collector grade but will show more use. The director of CMP has stated if a rifle needs a part to be correct or collector grade they will add it. I have bought correct grades that look almost perfect with the exception of the bolt which has a worn finish or have some dings in the stock.
    I'd still would post a want add and see what happens.

That said, I have seen "service grade" rifles show up with TE and ME numbers that were 3 and under.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    In the "old days" before field grades were available CMP used to send out a lot of rack grades that were very nice. The ones marked "bore" could be excellent. I know a guy who ordered 6 rack grades and all met service grade standards. They were marked bore and all were bright, shiney bores after a patch was run through them. His intention was to part them out, thinking all the barrels would be crap, but he didn't as they were all nice. One was a H&R that was clearly straight out of re-build (I have that one). The armorer must have had dirty glasses that day. Of course that's the exception. I believe CMP has gotten a little stricter on their grading but I haven't purchased any rifles from them for years.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    CMP all the way. I have eight, all lovable. Service and rack grades, most from before they had as many grades as they do now. A couple of the rack grades had really pretty good TE/ME but bad wood. Got a great set of unfinished wood from Dean's that really tight. Got one H&R that looks unissued, all H&R parts except the trigger group that was SA and still in the cosmolin (sp). The best shooters were the Danes but they are gone. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    CMP is your best bet. You get a rifle that's been inspected by an armorer and meets specific grade standards. The down side is you can't actually see the rifle before you purchase it. You may get new non-military wood and replaceing that with a decent set of military wood can be costly. You must also meet the requirments to purchase. Most are easy to meet but you also need to show proof of firing in a match or former military and possibly law enforcement(?)
    I would post on the want to buy forum and see what you are offered. I would ask for a CMP rifle or a rifle that has had the throat erosion checked. You could call around to shops in the state to see what is available. CMP will be the least expensive and from a shop I'm thinking $800 for an acceptable rifle, more if it's nice.

You bought one from the CMP awhile back as you ordered a "service grade" and paid service grade price for it. In service grade the barrel is within spec at both ends. After you had me gauge it out for you, the throat was out of spec, therefore a "rack grade" is what you received for paying the higher "service grade" price.

At Shooter's Discount, we have a very nice H+R M1 Garand that's well within spec and appears to be all correct H+R gun as per me AND as per an avid M1 Garand collector that knows tremendously more than I about Garands. The only reason he didn't buy the H+R was due to the fact he purchased a real nice Springfield DCM Garand (1985 release) with all the original shipping DCM paperwork and original DCM shipping box at $1300.00 and didn't have the $$$ to purchase the H+R at that time. The H+R is Korean era, very nice in and out, well within spec, appears correct, at a price of $999.95.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've been debating on purchasing a Field Grade CMP for the value. I wouldn't expect it to be a perfect shooter, but it should be original. Anyone have thoughts on the Field Grades or pics to share?

It'll be an M1 Garand. Seen some of these:sad20: As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for", well at least most of the time.

Rickhead

XXXXXXXXXX
    Sep 12, 2010
    Yeah, you're right, that rifle was bought a long time ago, still was pretty good shooter, think I gave it to my Father-in-law (?). Don't you ever forget anything?
    I was going to mention your shop in my previous posting but didn't want to "name names" or look like a shill so I said call around. I remember that H&R from the Putty Hill show and it's VERY NICE! Looked all H&R too. That's lower priced than the CMP collector grade ($1200) and about the same as correct grade ( I think they're $900+shipping) Any way, your price is excellent. Maybe if you sell it you can buy a new sweatshirt with the collar still attached.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Yeah, you're right, that rifle was bought a long time ago, still was pretty good shooter, think I gave it to my Father-in-law (?). Don't you ever forget anything?
    I was going to mention your shop in my previous posting but didn't want to "name names" or look like a shill so I said call around. I remember that H&R from the Putty Hill show and it's VERY NICE! Looked all H&R too. That's lower priced than the CMP collector grade ($1200) and about the same as correct grade ( I think they're $900+shipping) Any way, your price is excellent. Maybe if you sell it you can buy a new sweatshirt with the collar still attached.

:lol2::lol2::lol2: The infamous sweatshirt:lol2::lol2::lol2:

Perhaps I should raise the price of the H+R to $1200.00 because it does fit into the CMP collector grade category. Your not the only one that indicated the price on that H+R is really good. The person that I've indicated in a previous post that purchased the Spfld Garand this past Friday said it was underpriced and that perhaps I should jackitup. I'm thinking if the OP doesn't purchase it, I just might jackitup the 1st of the year. OP, and the rest of you guys, this is your chance; only a few days 'till the end of the year.......:D

Bootknife

Ultimate Member
    Santa Lives in Anniston Alabama,Here is the proof...SA...Garand!

Attachments

• 100_2440.jpg
      100_2440.jpg
      60.7 KB · Views: 183
    • 100_2441.jpg
      100_2441.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 184

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    CMP is your best bet.... You must also meet the requirments to purchase. Most are easy to meet but you also need to show proof of firing in a match or former military and possibly law enforcement(?)

I'm afraid you're spreading exactly the misinformation that prevents a lot of people from getting CMP rifles.

You absolutely do not have to shoot in a match to qualify.

There are many ways to qualify. Participating in a match or being former military or law enforcement are among them, but there are many others.

http://thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

- Concealed Carry License.
    - Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training.
    - FFL or C&R license.
    - Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.

- Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

I highlighted the last one because it's the one I used, and it is so damn easy. Just print out the form

http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf

and take it to the range. Ask the range officer to watch you shoot ('witness shooting activity') and sign off on the form.

The reason I'm making such a big deal about this is because I myself was the victim of the same misinformation. For years I wanted a CMP Garand, but was told by various well-meaning but misinformed "experts" on the internet that I had to shoot in a formal match to qualify. I believe many other people are prevented from getting their Garands because of the same misconceptions.

When I found out how ridiculously simple it was, I had my order in the mail within a week. I am still annoyed at the "experts" who deceived me, and at myself for believing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom