• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhartmac

Jan 7, 2007
    Virginia/maryland
    Can I legally purchase these in MD? Reason is I wanted to build a 5.7x28mm pistol AR, I believe you cannot purchase a rifle caliber in MD like the 223 but I was wondering about other calibers?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Can I legally purchase these in MD? Reason is I wanted to build a 5.7x28mm pistol AR, I believe you cannot purchase a rifle caliber in MD like the 223 but I was wondering about other calibers?

If its not on the approved roster the state police have then you are SOL.

You can however request it be reviewed iirc

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    In order to buy/transfer a new handgun made after 1985 in md, it has to be on the state police Handgun Roster. There is no ar-15 pistol on the roster.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Nope, no Sig 556 Pistol as of yet.

Check here for a current list of approved handguns: MSP Handgun Roster List

Current list of Sig's approved:

P-210 (1,2,5,6) .22 LR, 7.65MM, 9MM
    P-220 .38 SUP, .45 ACP, 9MM
    P-225 9MM
    P-226, P-226 Jubilee 9MM, .40 S&W, .357 SIG
    P-228 9MM
    P-229 .357 SIG, 9MM, .40 S&W
    P-229S 9MM, .40 S&W, .357 SIG
    P-230 .380 AUTO
    P-232 .380 ACP, .32 ACP
    P-239 9 MM, .357 SIG, .40 S&W
    P-245 .45 ACP, .40 S&W
    Sig Pro SP2009 9MM, .40 S&W, .357 SIG
    Sig Pro SP2340 .40 S&W, 9 MM, .357 SIG
    Trailside .22 LR
    220R .45 ACP
    P250, P250C & P250 sub-compact 9mm, 40 S&W, .357 Sig & .45ACP
    GSR 1911 1911 .45 ACP
    Mauser M2 9MM, .40S&W, .357 SIG, .45 ACP
    Mosquito .22 LR
    Sig Pro SP2022 9mm, .357 Sig., .40 S&W

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

There is at least one .223 pistol on the roster, so we know it is possible another one could be on the roster someday.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I am planning on the same for my AR Lower. I want to get the SBR version of the AR-57. Tell me how the pistol works out for you. I am hoping that I will not have any issues with the SBR.

Question for the wise ones:
    For me to buy a barrel or upper that has a barrel under 16". Do those have to be transferred via an FFL? I was thinking of heading up to Dan's and register the lower as an SBR.

Nov 5, 2008
    Question for the wise ones:
    For me to buy a barrel or upper that has a barrel under 16". Do those have to be transferred via an FFL? I was thinking of heading up to Dan's and register the lower as an SBR.

from what I have been told:
    barrels/uppers are not regulated or registered. you can have them shipped to your house. BUT possessing such an item at the same time as you possess a non-SBR lower to put it on, could get you in trouble w/ the atf as you have intent to create an unregistered sbr. usually the advice given says dont buy the short barrel till after you have the paperwork back on your SBR

as for turning the lower into a SBR look here for help

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    barrels/uppers are not regulated or registered. you can have them shipped to your house. BUT possessing such an item at the same time as you possess a non-SBR lower to put it on, could get you in trouble w/ the atf as you have intent to create an unregistered sbr. usually the advice given says dont buy the short barrel till after you have the paperwork back on your SBR

Confused
    So if you have one standard ar and one sbr but you own two sbr uppers is it a violation

if you have unused lowers and sbr uppers is it a violation

If you have no lower and olny uppers is it a violation

if you have a complete ar and an additional sbr upper is it a violation

How would you make one register the gun as an sbr then buy the upper?

IT almost sounds that if you owned an ar and an ar pistol you would be in violation because the parts could be switched back and forth

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007

Under that logic would all your ars have to be registed as sbr before you could own one sbr???

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    On June 8, 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Contender pistol and carbine kit are not a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. §5845(a)(3). This means that a consumer may possess the pistol with its 10" barrel and may use the kit parts to make a rifle with the 21" barrel, as long as the shoulder stock is not assembled onto the receiver at the same time as the 10" barrel.
    http://www.stephenhalbrook.com/tc.html

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    If the Australian Automatic Arms SAP is legal I don't see the logic for not allowing the AR15 pistols, Sig 556's, or PLR-16. I noticed the list hasn't been updated in years, maybe it's just a matter of an updated list.?.?:rolleyes:

A similar thread is going on in the Kel-Tec forum about the danger of owning interchangable parts that can make SBR's. Bottom line, you have to know what you have and that if it can be (possibly) reconfigured someone can imply intent.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1232702299

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    If the Australian Automatic Arms SAP is legal I don't see the logic for not allowing the AR15 pistols, Sig 556's, or PLR-16. I noticed the list hasn't been updated in years, maybe it's just a matter of an updated list.?.?:rolleyes:

Earth to ampdog: Gun Control, by its nature is not logical in the sense of freedom and liberty... Just in case you haven't figured that out yet for yourself. It's a tool used by the government to oppress minorities.

Move along, nothing to see here ;)

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Confused
    So if you have one standard ar and one sbr but you own two sbr uppers is it a violation

IT almost sounds that if you owned an ar and an ar pistol you would be in violation because the parts could be switched back and forth

I am not a lawyer, so I am talking out my ass.

Yes, this is the way the ATF sees it (according to what I have read)... the question is, would they prosecute this alone. No, I doubt they would, but they would add it as part of a larger set of charges. The position of the ATF is that if you have a rifle lower and an SBR upper under control of one person and in proximity with each other, that legally you have an SBR.

Now their legal opinion means spit, other than what they will attempt to charge you with, the legal opinion that matters is the court... but that's after you've spent thousands of dollars on defending yourself.

The short lesson here: File the SBR paperwork and then you never have to worry about the problem. Although theoretically they could assert that you could put a stock on an AR pistol, I think that having valid SBR paperwork would be an affirmative defense showing that if you had intent to place a stock on the weapon that you would have filed additional paperwork to register it as an SBR.

Mark

CHASER

Nov 9, 2007
    On June 8, 1992, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the Contender pistol and carbine kit are not a short-barreled rifle under the National Firearms Act, 26 U.S.C. §5845(a)(3). This means that a consumer may possess the pistol with its 10" barrel and may use the kit parts to make a rifle with the 21" barrel, as long as the shoulder stock is not assembled onto the receiver at the same time as the 10" barrel.

Why wouldn't the reverse of this work

Take the solder stock off your rifle first

Then put on your pistol upper

Rifle to pistol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads