• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I was at Hap Baker today with a business associate and the RO's called a cease fire. As they were inspecting the line to make sure it was safe, there were two guys already 5-7 yards downrange, going to their targets.

To my knowledge, all shooters were away from the benches and the RO was almost finished verifying the status of the guns, but still the shooters broke protocol.

I believe the guys thought the flashing lights meant "range is safe, you can go downrange". The RO's had YET to say that.

If the guys are members here, I am not bashing you, just hoping you pay better attention the next time.

If you are new to a range, please ask the procedures when a cease fire is called. If everyone else is still waiting, it generally means that you should also wait.

Thanks, shoot safe.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    folks are over-trusting or just stupid. i've had folks call cease fire while i'm (and others) still on the bench with half a mag left in my AR. luckily i catch one out of corner of my eye and of course i stop. there are folks like me with double ear protection so you cannot just yell cease fire and traipse downrange.

heck i was at an outdoor range in the innards of WVA when the mowing crew just started mowing all over. never asked me to stop or nothing. of course i did stop, but seriously...

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    At Myrtle Grove one time during a hot range one guy suddenly yelled out "cold range" then without even making sure anyone heard him he immediately started walking to his target while others were still shooting.
    Some people just have no ability to be safe and it puts themselves and others in danger.

1874sharpsshooter

Feb 1, 2009
    cape coral, florida
    I was at Hap Baker today with a business associate and the RO's called a cease fire. As they were inspecting the line to make sure it was safe, there were two guys already 5-7 yards downrange, going to their targets.

To my knowledge, all shooters were away from the benches and the RO was almost finished verifying the status of the guns, but still the shooters broke protocol.

I believe the guys thought the flashing lights meant "range is safe, you can go downrange". The RO's had YET to say that.

If the guys are members here, I am not bashing you, just hoping you pay better attention the next time.

If you are new to a range, please ask the procedures when a cease fire is called. If everyone else is still waiting, it generally means that you should also wait.

Thanks, shoot safe.

our range rules including cease fire procedures are clearly posted in 5 different locations between the parking lot and the range house. all you have to do is READ.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I can only speak for AGC,, but when a cease fire is called, everyone must unload, put ECI in and step behind a line, then it is called to go forward. I would assume the procedures are similar else where, why is it so hard to understand and follow the procedures?

Tom

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I was there yesterday. There was no confusion on the range. However.... I could easily see how this would happen. It probably would be a good thing to remind everyone that a "safety check" needs to occur prior to changing out targets. Should probably be a talking point before assigning a station. I know we need more "signs and rules" (and healthcare taxes sorry had to slip that in!) but, if it happened once it can happen again. I like shooting at Hap Baker. I feel safe there, and in no way shape or form condemn the RSOs. If you go wandering down line immediately after a cease fire, you qualify for a Darwin award. To be honest, regardless of the safety protocol, its is still very weird to think that when you are changing out your targets, all the guns are still POINTED AT YOU.

Fox Mike

Apr 24, 2010
    Havre de Grace
    At Elk Neck State Forest shooting range we always give two or three minutes warning of a "Cease Fire" command, repeating this as we walk the range to make sure everyone is aware.
    One thing I have noticed at this range is when a "Cease Fire" is called all shooters back away from their points before anyone goes downrange.

corelokt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 13, 2010
    parkville
    I like the older gentleman there with the cane. He gets his point across with a stern voice. Once after a cease-fire was called someone was still doing something with the gun and he told him to put the gun down.The shooter turned around to explain..."But I was just"....thats when the RSO said in a BOOMING VOICE.....PUT IT DOWN!!! Its a safe place to shoot.....Elk Neck..not so safe

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    I can only speak for AGC,, but when a cease fire is called, everyone must unload, put ECI in and step behind a line, then it is called to go forward. I would assume the procedures are similar else where, why is it so hard to understand and follow the procedures?

Tom

I have never had an incident like this at the AGC ranges.....just to join, your breifing is all about safety, as well as in the range prep walk through. :party29:

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    As soon as a person encloses themselves in their own little world on the range (or driving a car, or flying a plane, etc.), they may very likely experience The Darwin Effect. Luckily (for them!) there are usually others around them that will observe the stupid behavior and take measures so the moe-ron doesn't get hurt. I've seen it a lot.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I like the older gentleman there with the cane. He gets his point across with a stern voice. Once after a cease-fire was called someone was still doing something with the gun and he told him to put the gun down.The shooter turned around to explain..."But I was just"....thats when the RSO said in a BOOMING VOICE.....PUT IT DOWN!!! Its a safe place to shoot.....Elk Neck..not so safe

Haha that guy poked my friend in the ribs with his cane while he was shooting because his muzzle was slightly out of the box. Hilarious to watch.

If they didn't have that dreadful no rapid fire rule it would be a great range.

Lex Armarum

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    This is why I try to shoot by myself as much as possible. Only rules I need to abide by and the only person I have to look out for are/is my own/myself.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    This is why I try to shoot by myself as much as possible. Only rules I need to abide by and the only person I have to look out for are/is my own/myself.

This.

Though this story is unsafe...it pales to comparison to the time I was at Delmarva (I was at the pistol range at the time) and the rifle ranged called a ceasefire. 3 shooters go down to change their targets....one of them comes back....a new shooter pulls up and starts blasting away with his shotgun. Myself and another guy shooting with me on the pistol range started screaming at him. I walk over around the berm to look and sure enough there are two shooters walking back toward the benches...they were at about 75 yards away when this guy starts blasting at the 50 yard targets. Scared the shi* out of me, I would have hated to been either of the two shooters who were walking back at the time...I'd have needed some new underwear.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Every time that I read things like this I thank God that I live where I do in the country. My range is 50 feet from my back door, and it's a safe environment for shooting. Life's a whole lot simpler when only one person at a time has a weapon in their hands (family or friends) and everyone knows the rules. I can't imagine what it's like to be the RSO at one of the big places where you guys shoot.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.

That is why I like going to Elk Neck on a weekday at lunchtime.
    Went this past Friday, had the pistol range to ourselves for 2hrs after first 15mins. (Then again it was 95F, but the breeze was nice.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom