• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, I know bow season has already started, but work has me screwed 7 ways from Sunday when it comes to getting prepped an actually getting out to hunt. I'm going to do a little back yard hunting later this year when the rut kicks in as I've stated in other threads, and will be using a ladder stand as my perch for the season. It arrives via Fed Ex today and I'm hoping to get it installed sometime next week, but I've never put one up on my own before, only ever helped out with the installation of one other a few years back. Are there any tips or warnings I should know of outside of the fairly common sense stuff? I'll obviously be keeping it level, have picked the right size tree, etc. but didn't know if there was anything else to look out for. It's a "Guide Gear" 16' basic stand from Sportsman's Guide. A buddy of mine bought about 4 of them a few years back and they've been very good for the money. ($60 shipped with a free shipping coupon and membership) I've got bow hangers and the like as well.

Anyway, any tips on how to best get that sucker up there, situated, and secured all by my lonesome would be appreciated! Thanks!

elind

Dec 22, 2013
    Fort Meade
    I actually have the same one, what I do is basically put it together in from of the tree, then attach the long straps to the sitting area and walk the stand up, making sure the straps don't get crossed. Then once erected I use the straps and cross them around the back of the tree and secure them tightly to the lower part of the stand that way it doesn't pull away from the tree. Then I go for the support bar and make sure that's in place tightly. Honestly I do it by myself, but highly don't recommend it. Make sure you tell a buddy where your going and when to expect you back. Always wanna plan for the worst.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I skimmed through this real quick. Your putting up a 16' ladder stand? The directions will say use three people. I've done 20' doubles by my self. Just put all the sections together first and raise it like you would a ladder. Once you have it up, go half way up and fasten the strut(most wave these and are very important to use) between the ladder rung and the tree. Then go all the way up and strap it in as directed. Go slow. Be careful.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I do it alone all the time. Not recommended but it's not a huge deal. I try to find a tree that is slanted away from where I want to face for comfort. It's also much easier to put up that way. I also attach the ladder support to the tree before I climb up. Other than that I just clip my ratchet straps to my belt and head on up. Be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Thanks everyone! I'll likely see if I can get my neighbor to help me hoist it on up. Otherwise, I'll do as you've all said about walking it up like a ladder.

Good thing is, It's only about 100' from my back door and the wife will know I'm out there when I go.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Use the long straps or tethers that are tied from the the top rung and crisscross around the tree. Apart from carrying it in this makes it a one man job. If the stand doesn't come with them get two pieces of 3/8" rope to use in there place. They will support the stand and keep it from moving until you can get the ratchet binder tight at the plat form. Failure to do so could result in the ladder falling backwards with the climber on it near the top. If your reaching through to work the binder and hit the deck serious injury is certain. Final stand placement should be the platform/seat at a slight angle which will keep your body towards the tree instead of having to keep yourself from falling forward when seated or standing. Keep your strong side(left) towards where you anticipate your shot. If your bowhunting alot of times you wont even have to stand up. Set it up in cover in some saplings to break up your outline. Use a safety belt when your in it. Most falls that result in death occur at about six foot and falls of that nature are now the leading cause of death in the construction industry. I only go about 12-14 feet vs the common practice of getting as high as possible.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Cover is tough on this one. Not much around the tree I'm hunting from, so I figured I'd get the camo shoot-through netting that goes around stands. Otherwise, I'll have to tuck it back into the woods on the edge of the property a bit.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I just grab a few pine branches and strap to my stand to conceal my feet and mid section. The stands with shooting rail brackets are awesome because you can just put the branches through the bracket. You can use any branch but pine will last all winter

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I just grab a few pine branches and strap to my stand to conceal my feet and mid section. The stands with shooting rail brackets are awesome because you can just put the branches through the bracket. You can use any branch but pine will last all winter

Cool, neighbor has tons of branches that drop off his northern pines every time we get a stiff wind. My other thought is that I have some surplus camo netting lying around as well, so I could possibly use that to further the concealment. Not sure if that's overkill though.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Pine helps mask your scent as well

As long as there was pine there to begin with.

One thing I do. If I plan to bow hunt from the ladder stand, I'll put it on the opposite side of the tree I expect the deer to come from. If I'm mainly gun hunting from it, I put a rest on it and back it way off from any trails.

Or was that two things?:o

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Yes sir. I've got some really good advice for you, and I hope you see fit to consider it.

Check your area carefully. Pay attention not only to the tree where you intend to put your stand, but also to every other tree within 25 yards or so of where you're setting up.

I've had 2 very memorable experiences relating to this. One, you haven't lived until you're up in a tree stand, and a tree comes down that misses you by a few feet. Trust me on that. Two, I followed my markers by flashlight one morning on my way to my stand well before first light. I couldn't see my stand initially, and I knew I should be seeing it. I found my ladder stand all right, only I couldn't hunt it. It looked a whole lot like a scrap metal pretzel, having been taken down by a big oak, sometime in the preceding few days since I'd last hunted it.

True stories both. I've mentioned both here before. Mentioned here again for whatever they might be worth to OP, or to any other hunter for that matter who might remember this thought and look a little closer at their surrounding area.

xtreme43s10

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2007
    maryland, in Mont county
    I've put up more ladder stands than I can count. 2 people make it go easy although I've done it by myself in a pinch. I'm near burtonsville on the east side of the county if you need a hand throwing it up and ready for season. I have trimmers etc. I usually put up about 5-8 ladder stands a year on my leases.

MeatGrinder

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2013
    MoCo, Eastern edge
    Like others have said, best to have a helper if you can. Have a rope and tie it off quickly when you can get to the point where you can get the rope around the tree.

My question for the experienced is how long do you leave them out and how do you tell when it is too long?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Depends on the quality of the stand and its ability to drain water. In a salt water environment I spray the bottom parts of the legs with undercoating and grease everything where it fits together. Especially when the the tide can get to it. I had one that finally had a leg rust completely off and it was fine last year, and it happened quickly. That stand is about 8 years old. I like to loosen the binders when through for the year and drip cooking oil on the joints with a squeeze bottle when checking them out and replacing binders pretty frequently. I leave them out forever so they can drain versus laid down in the grass somewhere. Water freezing can split them sometimes. Some one mentioned observing other trees in the area which is a real good tip, in the marsh you can hear wood come down on a blue sky day. I just looked at a stand that someone put up on Chesapeake property right on the line to our land and there is a 60 to 70 ft bull pine broke out and hung up right over top of it! Im going to be pissed if that ass clown calls for help or they gotta scrape him up while I'm hunting. Hopefully it comes down when hes not in it and he learns to look up instead of down.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Get a good quality safety harness and use it every time. As others have said, take your time and be careful setting it up, and you won't have any trouble. Make sure the tree isn't leaning forward where you'll be sitting or else you'll be uncomfortable. Sit up there for a few minutes to make sure it's comfortable there aren't any branches that will be a problem.

bbarrows32

Golf Guru
    Feb 25, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    Get a good quality safety harness and use it every time. As others have said, take your time and be careful setting it up, and you won't have any trouble. Make sure the tree isn't leaning forward where you'll be sitting or else you'll be uncomfortable. Sit up there for a few minutes to make sure it's comfortable there aren't any branches that will be a problem.

Can't emphasize the lean of the tree enough. It's the difference between a miserable hunt and being comfortable all day.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

I picked up a good quality harness two years ago. Relief and recovery straps and all that jazz. What's more, it's comfortable, so I don't mind wearing it in the least.

As for the tree, I learned that lesson via a buddy I used to hunt with. He had one stand that was right on a honey hole, but the tree took a pitch forward right where the stand was. He'd have moved it to a different tree if it wasn't such a productive spot. I never even bothered with it because it looked like such a pain.

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    Had a tree with my ladder stand tipover earlier this summer. It was about 10 feet from a stream, after some downpours the stream rose and washed out the supporting roots.

Attachments

• treestand.jpg
      treestand.jpg
      164 KB · Views: 173

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads