• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Both myself and a shooting friend are thinking about building 6.5 using some of the lowers we horded before Oct 1. I'm look for experience with people who have built up one of these. I've been looking at a lot of parts from JP Enterprises. Mine will be strictly for bench style shoot while he may decide to hunt with it.
    Any input is helpful.....:party29:

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Tagged into this because I'm in the same boat. I'm looking to build a Grendel with one of my uppers as well.

Alexander's look very nice, and I believe DPMS has uppers available as well. The round is gaining popularity in tactical long range competitions, long flat trajectory, low recoil, good accuracy out to 1000 meters with the right setup.

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    It's an awesome round! Love mine. They are great with off the shelf ammo, but handloading can open up a whole new world.
    Check out:
    precisionfirearms.com (a member on this forum (MDS) and currently a MD business)

65grendelforum - lots of information on AR, bolt and TC in Grendel.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I did join the forum and activated my account but I guess the admin has not signed off on my account yet as I have been unable to post in the introduction section. After looking at the 300 ACC the 6.8Spc and the 6.5 and think its a no brainier that the 6.5 is a superior round. I could see the 300 of I was going to do something suppressed since it such a slow round but that's not what I'm after and the 6.5 just has more down range potential than the 6.8. I like JP enterprises hardware but they don't sell full uppers you have to build one from their parts....which I have never done before.....

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Les Baer builds a much better upper under the name LBC 264AR
    They are top notch. One look at their test targets, will seal the deal ... if you can afford it.

(it's identical to the 6.5 Grendel.)

Not quite, the chambers are slightly different and I believe you have to use a Type 1 bolt with LBC, while AA moved to a Type 2 bolt. This is why you see most barrel makers supplying bolts with the barrels or clearly stating which bolt you will need.

I couldn't swing the Les Baer, so I ordered a 18" Liberty by Satern. I should see it in "about 2 weeks." I can't wait to put it up against my 18" 6.8 ARP project head-to-head.

For you folks dreaming of 1000 yard shots, just because of the high BC bullet selection might want to look at ballistic tables and factor that in when you buy your scope and mount. After a 200 yard zero, you are only looking at a mere 460" drop on average. Please note, I did not leave out a decimal point. Flat shooting is relative. Just plan ahead.

I plan shooting my 6.5 at paper at distance and using the 6.8 for hunting.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    For you folks dreaming of 1000 yard shots, just because of the high BC bullet selection might want to look at ballistic tables and factor that in when you buy your scope and mount. After a 200 yard zero, you are only looking at a mere 460" drop on average. Please note, I did not leave out a decimal point. Flat shooting is relative. Just plan ahead.

I

The drop isn't much different than .308 (less actually).

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    They are top notch. One look at their test targets, will seal the deal ... if you can afford it.

Not quite, the chambers are slightly different and I believe you have to use a Type 1 bolt with LBC, while AA moved to a Type 2 bolt. This is why you see most barrel makers supplying bolts with the barrels or clearly stating which bolt you will need.

I couldn't swing the Les Baer, so I ordered a 18" Liberty by Satern. I should see it in "about 2 weeks." I can't wait to put it up against my 18" 6.8 ARP project head-to-head.

I plan shooting my 6.5 at paper at distance and using the 6.8 for hunting.

Did you get in on the barrel group buy at 65forum? Anxious to see the results

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Yep.

I was on the waiting list, figured it would never open up, so I ordered an ARP 6.8. I got the invited for the Liberty a week or two later.

For what I am into both, I could have just bought the LBC or a Precision Firearms upper. I think I'll be happy though. Two for one and I don't plan on shooting at Camp Perry any time soon.

Yep.

I was on the waiting list, figured it would never open up, so I ordered an ARP 6.8. I got the invited for the Liberty a week or two later.

Lucky Dog!

The drop isn't much different than .308 (less actually).

True, but with the Grerndel one can use "standard" AR15 parts. Of course, the AR10 .308 does have fewer restrictions in "The Free State"...

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I signed up for an account so I could use JP's build calculator.....press decent.
    Fully setup the way I'm looking I'm about 1400 and change.....might have to sell some other stuff.....

rj91jeep

Feb 16, 2011
    Westminster, MD
    Im going to be building a Grendel upper when tax time comes. Percision Firearms make a very nice 6.5 Grendel upper with a Les Baer barrel. After talking to Bobby at Bollinger gunsmithing, I'm probably going to have him build me my upper

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    I did join the forum and activated my account but I guess the admin has not signed off on my account yet as I have been unable to post in the introduction section. After looking at the 300 ACC the 6.8Spc and the 6.5 and think its a no brainier that the 6.5 is a superior round. I could see the 300 of I was going to do something suppressed since it such a slow round but that's not what I'm after and the 6.5 just has more down range potential than the 6.8. I like JP enterprises hardware but they don't sell full uppers you have to build one from their parts....which I have never done before.....

Agreed for shots over 500 on paper and steel, but both are pretty much useless and unethical for hunting past that distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom