Possible problems with the MSP HQL applications???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    I've been checking for the past 10 minutes in the WC and in MD 2A subheadings and didn't see this so sorry if it's a dupe, so here it is. Got word through the grapevine that there are some problems with HQL's in MSP's system or something of the sort. A news story is to be aired tonight on Fox 45 about it during the 10 PM edition.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Lou,

I'm guessing we are talking about more than a website issue here? The days I wish I had cable....

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    Wbal is running a story about how MSP has apparently lose track of thousands of handgun purchases. It also said that 4000 handguns have duplicate serial numbers in the system and can sometimes come back as stolen even though they aren't.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Lou,

I'm guessing we are talking about more than a website issue here? The days I wish I had cable....

Aaaahhhhh, I'd say an almost certain "yes" to your question. Based on my VERY LIMITED source of info, it sounds like people may be getting HQL's that shouldn't be. HQL's are needed to buy what, handguns???

If a TV news station (Fox at that) is taking the time to air this story, factual or not, there must be at least something to it with merit. Let's tune at 10 PM and see what it's all about.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Wbal is running a story about how MSP has apparently lose track of thousands of handgun purchases. It also said that 4000 handguns have duplicate serial numbers in the system and can sometimes come back as stolen even though they aren't.

This ^^^ was a part of the story I was informed of earlier tonight. I'm wondering if the info here ^^^ pertains to more recent times as opposed to the big push back in 2013 pre October 1st.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Aaaahhhhh, I'd say an almost certain "yes" to your question. Based on my VERY LIMITED source of info, it sounds like people may be getting HQL's that shouldn't be. HQL's are needed to buy what, handguns???

If a TV news station (Fox at that) is taking the time to air this story, factual or not, there must be at least something to it with merit. Let's tune at 10 PM and see what it's all about.

I wish I could say I'm surprised.

:popcorn:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX

I'll pass on the tv and just watch this thread for the cliff notes :D

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    Question

The WBAL article starts off with "a new audit released Tuesday"...my questions are who performed the audit and where can I find a copy? I would like to read the detailed report.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    https://www.ola.state.md.us/Reports/Fiscal%20Compliance/DSP15.pdf

This one mentions HQL and these issues....but it was released last week.

Edit: After further reading, this should be it. Skip to page 18 for details. It continues for several pages. Yikes!

Thanks, that's it. Notice the cyber security issues...it's lucky they aren't entrusted with our PII...oh wait. :rolleyes:

The delayed finalized applications seem to be an issue with the MSP following up with dealers and or dropping the ball on updating the finalized paperwork.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Thanks, that's it. Notice the cyber security issues...it's lucky they aren't entrusted with our PII...oh wait. :rolleyes:

The delayed finalized applications seem to be an issue with the MSP following up with dealers and or dropping the ball on updating the finalized paperwork.

No problem. OLA is usually in charge of audits for the state. Media just got the dates wrong I guess.

"Numerous individuals were assigned capabilities on ISAB&L that allowed them to approve handgun applications even though they did not require it. For example, 13 individuals had such access capabilities even though they were no longer employed by DSP, and 6 DSP employees did not need the assigned access capabilities to perform their regular job duties. In addition, 14 employees were assigned administrator access capabilities that allowed them to change the status of an application without independent approval (such as from disapproved to not disapproved). Because DSP did not produce an output report of these status changes, improper changes would not be readily detected."

:shocking: Basic user management here folks.

BradyWarrior

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 13, 2014
    Maryland
    "Numerous individuals were assigned capabilities on ISAB&L that allowed them to approve handgun applications even though they did not require it. For example, 13 individuals had such access capabilities even though they were no longer employed by DSP, and 6 DSP employees did not need the assigned access capabilities to perform their regular job duties. In addition, 14 employees were assigned administrator access capabilities that allowed them to change the status of an application without independent approval (such as from disapproved to not disapproved). Because DSP did not produce an output report of these status changes, improper changes would not be readily detected."

:shocking: Basic user management here folks.

Yup.

MSP also wasn't able to find differences between a few rows in ISAB&L and their primary gun registry. Forget SQL, you mean to tell me they don't have a single person there that knows how to use Excel vlookup? Instead they were sampling 10% of the entries like 1940s shop workers when Excel could have done 100% of the job in a millisecond.

Noahdero

Feb 6, 2015
    My brother-in-law is going through the HQL process now. I hope this doesn't drag out the "process" or lack there of any longer.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom