• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    I was *somewhere* in MD and was told that they do not need to copy your driver's license anymore for smokeless powder, only for black powder purchases.
    Any one else heard this?

MH

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    I was *somewhere* in MD and was told that they do not need to copy your driver's license anymore for smokeless powder, only for black powder purchases.
    Any one else heard this?

MH

Havent heard that yet but its been a couple months since Ive bought any powder. Last time I did they wrote down my DL info. They didnt make a copy of it, they just wrote down the needed info.

bulletbill

Agent provocateur
    Dec 31, 2008
    SW FL
    I haven't been asked for mine since I moved here. Bought several pounds from LGS's. I always paid cash however.

TripleChris

Apr 10, 2009
    Pasadena, MD
    I bought a pound of Bullseye from BPS about 2 months ago, they checked my ID because I was using a check card. They didn't write anything down however.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I tried to buy smokeless powder in Atlantic Guns in Rockville 3 weeks ago and was asked for ID for recording. Heard it is a requirement from Fire Marshall. Not sure it is for Montgomery County only or for all Maryland. In PA or VA they don't ask any IDs.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    My 2 cents worth is I've purchased smokeless powder at some (nameless) gun shops and they've logged my ID in their "required" books. And I've purchased from others (Bass Pro) and it's cash and carry - no logging info. I was told by Bass Pro there is a difference between "gun powder" (black powder) and "propellant" (smokeless powder).

To me it's like many other inane, unclear and absurd MD laws that confuse the hell out of suppliers and law abiding consumers, gun owners and collectors. It's as if - "let's make up the rules day by day".

I won't go on a rant here. And I'd be grateful if someone can cite specifics on the MD statutes regarding the purchase of smokeless propellant.

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    It was required by the State Fire Marshall, to have your driver's license info recorded for smokelelss purchases. Even though the cans clearly state "Flammable" the State FM considers them an explosive.:rolleyes: Primers and Pyrodex didn't count, though.
    I buy mine out of state, where more common sensed laws prevail. The responses here make me wonder if the law has changed, and some dealers aren't aware and are still doing it.

MH

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    We have a state Fire Marshall as a customer never said anything blackpowder gets logged in and out and is kept in a bunker outside. Smokeless inside no ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom