• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    Anybody have input on how long powder can stay in the hopper or long it lasts outside of its original container? Been looking on the internet and there seems to be a lot of viewpoints. It's been in the garage in a Dillon 550 for about 6-8 months. Thanks!

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    As long as the temp. and humidity is relatively stable, it should last a while.

I prefer the basement, since in my house anyways, the temp and humidity is relatively stable down there.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I always dump the excess in the the powder drop back into the original container when I'm done for the day. That way I'll will not forget what I had put in there when returning for another session.

Be safe.

^^^This.

I once left some Bullseye in the RCBS Uniflow powder measure OVERNIGHT, and the next day, the inside of the plastic 'hopper' had been etched by the nitro-cellulose.

I had to empty the hopper, disassemble the powder measure and use #0000 steelwool (attached to a piece of dowel - chucked in a cordless drill) and semi-chrome polish to 'polish' out the etching.
    Darned thing was pitted pretty badly.

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    Always safe to check. I know what is in there, but prob best just to dump and do a scrub. I have enough and it is sealed in original containers. Had this stuff for a while, but now seriously ready to get to work.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I wouldn't trust it myself, because after a few months I wouldn't be absolutely, 100% certain beyond a shadow of a doubt, about which powder it was... and pouring it back into the wrong container (or loading the wrong powder into prepped brass) could be disastrous.

Vision

Apr 10, 2011
    Havre de Grace, MD
    I use one of the inside foam lids from the power canister and write the powder type on it and drop it in the top of the hopper to list what powder is in there. However if it looks like it might be in there for awhile I pour it back into the canister just to be safe.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I can tell you that I have a jar of Pyrodex RS from 1986 that fires just fine.

PS - I don't use the hoppers on my presses. I use a dipper. Always.

Attachments

• DSC02517.JPG
      DSC02517.JPG
      59.8 KB · Views: 659

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    I reload .410 and 28 ga, i leave the powder in the hopper because i reload every other week. I use a label printer to label the type of powder and amount of powder the charge bar drops. I also label the shell/wad/primer/shot/amount of shot im using it for. I figure reloading is something you should be pretty organized about. So far i havent seen any il effects in terms of performance or problems with the hopper. Dunno if it has to do with the type of powder.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    There is nothing wrong with that powder. I read an article about Unique where they have a jar made in1899 that still performs to original specs. If it isn't turning colors or starting to stink like something other than powder, it's fine.

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I reload .410 and 28 ga, i leave the powder in the hopper because i reload every other week. I use a label printer to label the type of powder and amount of powder the charge bar drops. I also label the shell/wad/primer/shot/amount of shot im using it for. I figure reloading is something you should be pretty organized about. So far i havent seen any il effects in terms of performance or problems with the hopper. Dunno if it has to do with the type of powder.

I leave my powder in the bottle on the MEC at all times, because a) It is not a hopper, it is a bottle similar to the containers the powder comes in and b) I only use one powder at a time to load shotgun.

My rifle/pistol powders I usually pour back into the containers at the end of a session, simply because I use different powders for .223, .45, .9mm, and .300 blackout and I don't want them to get mixed up or forget which one I was using.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My rifle/pistol powders I usually pour back into the containers at the end of a session, simply because I use different powders for .223, .45, .9mm, and .300 blackout and I don't want them to get mixed up or forget which one I was using.
    I made that mistake once. I had Bullseye in the hopper and left it for a day or so, and when I was putting my stuff away, I got my wires crossed and started to dump it into my bottle of Unique. I probably could have gone ahead and got the two powders thoroughly mixed and not had a problem, but I figured it was cheaper, easier and MUCH safer to simply dump the bottle of Unique and get another one.

I dumped it in the front yard and then watered it down - the nitrogen in the powder actually makes a decent fertilizer. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom