• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    Hope maybe this the place to find the best answer :D

Doing a private sale on a handgun as not having too much luck finding a FFL in the Frederick area to do the MSP paperwork for a reasonable price and/or so many outstandings apps just don't want to add another piece of paper to the pile.

So what are (if any) the drawbacks going to MSP Barracks ? I understand both seller/buyer have to be presence, fill out paperwork and pay the $10 or $20 bucks. I've heard too many versions of this so which is correct ? Who notifies us when the App is approved, the Barracks ? Do they notify me or the seller ? Now I've heard if the App is not back in 7 days the seller can deliver the handgun ??? So while the paperwork is being processed the seller holds the gun as I hope not the Barracks. The crap we have to go through in this State :tdown:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    No drawbacks to going to the MSP. Leave the gun in your car, buyer and seller walk in and fill out the forms, one of you pays $10. You hold onto the gun. After 7 days you can legally hand it over, even without "not disapproved" which at this point will take 30ish days.

You will receive the forms back in the mail after the MSP has done due diligence. You still have to have the buyer sign again and then send them back, regardless of whether you've released the firearm before then or not.

Right now the only snag is the wait, but law says 7 days. FFLs can't release before then but individuals can.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    No real drawbacks to just going to a local barracks, expect the 33% chance they will act like you are ruining their day and treat you like schit.

YOU (the seller) holds the gun.

I won't give advice on the transfer after 7 days details. I am still waiting on a gun I bought from a member here on 1/17. (He is choosing to wait until they tell him I'm good)

Do a search on this, there are quite a few existing threads with good info.

DON'T CARRY THE GUN INTO THE BARRACKS UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO!

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

Doing a private sale on a handgun as not having too much luck finding a FFL in the Frederick area to do the MSP paperwork for a reasonable price and/or so many outstandings apps just don't want to add another piece of paper to the pile.

So what are (if any) the drawbacks going to MSP Barracks ? I understand both seller/buyer have to be presence, fill out paperwork and pay the $10 or $20 bucks. I've heard too many versions of this so which is correct ? Who notifies us when the App is approved, the Barracks ? Do they notify me or the seller ? Now I've heard if the App is not back in 7 days the seller can deliver the handgun ??? So while the paperwork is being processed the seller holds the gun as I hope not the Barracks. The crap we have to go through in this State :tdown:

It's easy at MSP. The fee is $10 money order or check, the seller holds the firearm, you can transfer on the 8th day if you don't hear otherwise from Pikesville, you will receive a letter from MSP licensing division saying not disaproved or disaproved. Just remember to leave the firearm in your vehicle until you are told to retrieve it.

seawolf823

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Dec 18, 2011
    Timonium

Go to barracks, leave gun in car, go in to barracks, you and buyer fill out paperwork, trooper tells you to bring gun in to inspect and write down the serial number and info, pay 10 dollars, you hold gun until MSP mails you the paperwork that you guys filled out with the not-disapproved on it, you and buyer put final signatures on the paperwork and send MSP's copy back. Simple!!!

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    The only drawback may be that you and the buyer will have to meet twice. Once for the paperwork and again to release the gun to the buyer.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    , you hold gun until MSP mails you the paperwork that you guys filled out with the not-disapproved on it, you and buyer put final signatures on the paperwork and send MSP's copy back. Simple!!!

See, two different opinions in just one thread page....:sad20:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was going to follow up on this one too, but I figured the trooper will tell them that they must wait the 7 days to transfer and not before.:thumbsup:

No, the problem is, thats NOT what they say.

I called (at the 1 month mark). The female on the other end in Pikesville said "We are telling people to hold onto the firearms".

Now, being a natural born dick, I took that to mean,... that's what they are "telling" people to do (not what the LAW is).

I am a little reluctant to lean too much on my seller (private sale). It just sucks, it's not like I haven't already been buying regulated firearms in this state for the last (literally) 16 years. :tdown:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    No, the problem is, thats NOT what they say.

I called (at the 1 month mark). The female on the other end in Pikesville said "We are telling people to hold onto the firearms".

Now, being a natural born dick, I took that to mean,... that's what they are "telling" people to do (not what the LAW is).

I am a little reluctant to lean too much on my seller (private sale). It just sucks, it's not like I haven't already been buying regulated firearms in this state for the last (literally) 16 years. :tdown:

I was just stating what the trooper told up the Saturday before last, I really don't care what pikesville says or how long it takes them to get the paperwork back to me on a transfer at a Barricks, the laws says you can proceed after 7 days so that's what I do.:thumbsup:

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Here it is in black and white: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.10.htm

Also, the second question on their FAQs states 7 days. It doesn't say "until you receive a not disapproved": http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

Now, I'm not sure what happens if you transferred a firearm legally and 3 weeks later receive a "disapproved". I guess the next step would be to report it to the MSP, but either way you as the seller have followed applicable law. It's the MSP with their 30+ day wait who are culpable.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The only drawback may be that you and the buyer will have to meet twice. Once for the paperwork and again to release the gun to the buyer.
    Three times - or at least that's my understanding. When MSP finally gets the paperwork back after "7-days" (see: 5 weeks) the copies have to once again be lined up and signed by both parties, which are then turned back in to the barracks as a completed transfer.

I'd do it through the barracks if I was you - it's a minimal headache and the transfer of the gun itself gets done a lot quicker.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Here it is in black and white: http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/getfile.aspx?file=29.03.01.10.htm

Also, the second question on their FAQs states 7 days. It doesn't say "until you receive a not disapproved": http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

Now, I'm not sure what happens if you transferred a firearm legally and 3 weeks later receive a "disapproved". I guess the next step would be to report it to the MSP, but either way you as the seller have followed applicable law. It's the MSP with their 30+ day wait who are culpable.

Its my understanding that MSP will retrieve the firearm after a disapproval, if the seller is unable to.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I was just stating what the trooper told up the Saturday before last, I really don't care what pikesville says or how long it takes them to get the paperwork back to me on a transfer at a Barricks, the laws says you can proceed after 7 days so that's what I do.:thumbsup:

I'm not looking for a pissing match on it, just simply pointing out that between the Troopers at the window in the barracks, to the Pikesville you can get several different answers on what to do.

I bought an AR in Glen Burnie from a member here, not a real active guy, but definitely not a noob. He's not letting it go,...... 39 days later.

I'm generally shitty about the deal, 100% to do with the MSP time frame and misinformation they give when you call.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I've done it a couple of times using the Westminster Barracks.

1. Leave the gun in the car until the trooper goes out to get it or asks you to being it inside.
    2. Both give the trooper your driver's license. The buyer needs to have their gun safety card.
    3. Fill out the paperwork
    4. Pay the $10.00 fee (check or MO)
    5. Seller holds on the the gun.
    6. On the 8th day you can transfer the gun to the buyer as long as you haven't been contacted by the MSP.

If you do transfer the gun before the paperwork is back, you either need to meet again to sign the paperwork or you sign, send to the buyer to sign and have them mail to the MSP.

Personally, I prefer to wait until the paperwork is back.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    That's his choice - it's not the law.

His choice (and my initial patience with it) was prompted by what he was told when calling to inquire.

I guess if we are okay with State employees intentionally misleading people about regulated sales/transfers than all is well!:)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    His choice (and my initial patience with it) was prompted by what he was told when calling to inquire.

I guess if we are okay with State employees intentionally misleading people about regulated sales/transfers than all is well!:)
    I understand the frustration, and I agree - the MSP should be a bit more on the ball about the law as it pertains to private sales between individuals.

Go to barracks, ......... you hold gun until MSP mails you the paperwork that you guys filled out with the not-disapproved on it, you and buyer put final signatures on the paperwork and send MSP's copy back. Simple!!!

What's the true story now??? I'm in the process of buying a firearm, we both went to the MSP, filled out the paperwork, paid $10 about 3 weeks ago and still waiting to take ownership of the firearm. The MSP Firearms Section is saying we have to wait till the paperwork is processed which takes 4-5 weeks before the firearm can change hands.

Does anyone know what the true story is? It is my intent to make this a legal transfer and not get a fellony down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom