• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGCLVP

Jan 27, 2009
    The County Commissioners of Carroll County will conduct a public hearing on Thursday, August 8, 2013, at 10:00 a.m., in Room 311, Carroll County Office Building, 225 North Center Street, Westminster, Maryland, 21157, to hear public comments on a proposed amendment to Chapter 185-8E, Solid Waste, which would remove the prohibition of the possession of firearms and weapons at a County Solid Waste Acceptance Facility such as the Northern Landfill, the current location of the Hap Baker Firearms Facility.

http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/attorney/ordinance/default.asp

Attachments

• 2013-Ch185-Ordinance-firearms.pdf
      75.7 KB · Views: 167

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Seems like a no-brainer and one that MSI should be behind. This modification would allow CCW holders to carry at county landfills. Not only that, but a person could have a knife in their vehicle and not violate the law with this amendment. Heck, a person could have a long gun or handgun in their vehicle and not violate this amendment.

Without this amendment, I would be violating the Carroll County ordinance by taking my truck to a "County Facility" because I have a couple multi-tools in it with knives and I usually take a rake, etc that can be used as a weapon. Guessing/hoping there is a definition of "weapon" somewhere in the Carroll County ordinances. Otherwise, the way the ordinance is worded now, I am guessing that a lot of people are violating it.

I just read through the Howard County ordinances over the weekend on discharging a firearm, and now I am wishing I had moved to Frederick or Carroll County. Of course, my wife would not have allowed that because of the public school systems. Turns out that a buddy and I cannot go to the 120 acre farm we hunt on in Howard County to target shoot with our handguns. Nope. Only time a firearm can be fired in Howard County is 1) while hunting, 2) while shooting at a varmint on the ground, 3) while target shooting at a certified range, or 4) while defending yourself. Told this to my wife and she said "Well, can't you just tell the LEO's that you were shooting at a varmint?" Yeah, and the varmint stuck around long enough for us to have missed 200+ times (i.e., 200+ empties on the ground).

Looks like I will be going to the farms I have access to in Frederick and Washington Counties. They screw you at the drive through and at the State and local level too, I tell you.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    Wait so we would be able to carry at the dump. What for and how do we legally get the gun to the dump. We have to shoot first.

What is this for again.

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    If the commissioners are looking to profide places for us to carry they shoukd allow county residents to carry while.in the county.

Now that would.be something.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Not if it was part of being on the county defense force (or whatever the commissioners voted on a while back) or the state's attorney declined to prosecute.

The entire point of this hearing is to not rely on those assumptions. :)

I'm a fan of this small change. Fewer regulations to have to remember.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    The entire point of this hearing is to not rely on those assumptions. :)

I'm a fan of this small change. Fewer regulations to have to remember.

Yeah, this is definitely a step in the right direction. The current law is ridiculous. Almost like the "No weapons allowed on school property" law. The most likely thing to happen is that a good person gets in trouble with the law because they forget they have a "weapon" in the vehicle. I have no idea what the law is regarding the Alpha Ridge transfer station in Howard County and weapons because it really has NEVER occurred to me that this would be an issue.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Wait so we would be able to carry at the dump. What for and how do we legally get the gun to the dump. We have to shoot first.

What is this for again.

The County Commissioners of Carroll County will conduct a public hearing on Thursday, August 8, 2013, at 10:00 a.m., in Room 311, Carroll County Office Building, 225 North Center Street, Westminster, Maryland, 21157, to hear public comments on a proposed amendment to Chapter 185-8E, Solid Waste, which would remove the prohibition of the possession of firearms and weapons at a County Solid Waste Acceptance Facility such as the Northern Landfill, the current location of the Hap Baker Firearms Facility.

http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/attorney/ordinance/default.asp

There is a range there and under current law it is illegal to have a gun there.

Who missed that for all this time. Surprised they are not trying to shut the range down because of the law. That seems to be more the MD way.

Doug S

Trufflehunter
    Jan 21, 2013
    Only time a firearm can be fired in Howard County is 1) while hunting, 2) while shooting at a varmint on the ground, 3) while target shooting at a certified range, or 4) while defending yourself. Told this to my wife and she said "Well, can't you just tell the LEO's that you were shooting at a varmint?" Yeah, and the varmint stuck around long enough for us to have missed 200+ times (i.e., 200+ empties on the ground).

While this bums me out (I'm about to move to HoCo), I actually LOL'd at the bold part!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    While this bums me out (I'm about to move to HoCo), I actually LOL'd at the bold part!!

My wife has never been hunting. She has no idea that upon hearing a gun shot, most animals are off to the races and moving away from the noise at high speed. If the varmints were prairie dogs, we might stand a chance at justifying the 200+ empties on the ground. End of the day, I am happy that my wife shoots clays, wants to learn how to shoot handguns, and has said "While I am not interested in killing animals, I will come hunting with you if the kids get into it." She has also given me the green light for a farm purchase on the eastern shore or in Virginia.

Yeah, I have it pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom