• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    Trying to decide on the multitude of rails on the market... With respect to the square'ish v. the rounded rails, what are the pros and cons?

I am leaning towards the round version because I am a minimalist and won't be attaching a lot of accessories. So, I wont need any rails on the bottom. And, I like the fact I wont have to deal with the corners of the quad rails when shooting from improvised, supported positions. Having said that, I realize that a rail on the bottom can be beneficial in some situations.

Thanks,
    Ken

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    weight/ergos are the main factor. both are fairly subjective for folks, so finger-fark as many as you feel necessary till you find something you like.

USMC 0311

Military Veteran
    May 1, 2014
    Clarksburg, MD
    I prefer quad rails, but it ultimately comes down to personal preference on what you want to put on your rails (grips, lights, lasers, optics).

What accessories are you planning to use?

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I'm deciding the same thing for the 11.5 upper I have coming this week. I have quad rails on my other ar's

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    I started with full rails and now most I have are round with a small section of modular rail at the front for a light if needed.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    I too went with a quad rail at first. The daniel defense lite. Its an excellent rail but over time I found that a modular tube is perfect if youre not mounting everything known to mankind on it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Started with quad's as well.

Find myself moving away from them. Have a few BCM KMR rails to evaluate, might love 'em, might hate 'em - got to finish up some builds and run them before I make any decisions.

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Use something like a YHM Todd Jarrett Rail or an SQR rail that PSA sells on most of their uppers... or go with something MOE/Keymod/M-Lok and add on the sections you need.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pro...

If you're having a spaghetti dinner, you'll never have to ask "Where's the cheese grater"?

It will always be where you left it.

In your safe. :)

PS: Never owned a quad.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    The KMR is one of, if not the best rail on the market right now. Besides the weight and diameter being perfect, the barrel nut and lock up method is just pure genius.

It has definitely raised the bar for free float hand guards.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    your mom has raised the bar for going to college.

Kip_Dynamite.jpg

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have all of the above, generally prefer a plain MOE to the others. Simple, cheap, not to much in small hands.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Some of the choices can be either preference or the type of shooting you plan on doing. For instance most 3-gunners go with long modular rails because the favored shooting grip for 3-gun requires a long handguard. Tactical use can require a quad rail due to the amount of lights and lasers you might want to mount on it. In cases where I used to use quad rails I always had Ergo ladder covers on them to cover any sharp edges.
    These days I use only modular handguards, my favorites being Troy, Samson and AP Custom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom