• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    I have a question that I have not seen asked yet about purchasing an AR Lower. I know this type of topic has been talked about ad nauseam, however I had a thought last night that was a little different.

My father is a Florida resident, but is currently residing in Maryland. He purchased an Ak a few months ago in PA and had no wait, just gave the guy his driver license, they ran a background check and he was off with it.

Since I am still waiting on the MSP for my first lower receiver (late april purchase) I really don't want to have to go through all that again with the deadline of oct 1 approaching and the uncertainty of the legality of building a "assault rifle" after that point. So I am thinking that my father could order two lower receivers online to a PA gun shop, have him pick them up and do a private sale to me. Has anyone had any experience with that type of scenario? Would this work?

Thanks for any input in advance.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I believe since your father is not a resident of MD it would still need to go thru a dealer. so no gain there.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    should have made myself more clear. He would have it sent to an FFL dealer in PA. Therefore he would purchase it in PA so not going through Maryland.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    legally you and your father would have to have an ffl involved for him to sell them to you.

To transfer or privately sell I would still need to do that? Would the same waiting period have to occur?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    To transfer or privately sell I would still need to do that? Would the same waiting period have to occur?

yes and yes.

Unless your father is a resident in MD (as in MD drivers lic, not just living here temporarily) you can't go the MSP route of quick transfer. No private ftf sales of regulated firearms in MD.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    should have made myself more clear. He would have it sent to an FFL dealer in PA. Therefore he would purchase it in PA so not going through Maryland.
    Have you checked if the PA FFL can transfer the lower to your dad (a Florida resident)?

Unlike the People's Republic, FLA resident's can buy AKs and AR's in PA, but I don't know how PA treats lowers. Hopefully they treat them like rifles and you're good.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Have you checked if the PA FFL can transfer the lower to your dad (a Florida resident)?

Unlike the People's Republic, FLA resident's can buy AKs and AR's in PA, but I don't know how PA treats lowers. Hopefully they treat them like rifles and you're good.

Well that's true too. I am not sure about that.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Damn well that idea seems shot to hell. Now what about inheriting guns. I know in the new law you are allowed to keep a weapon if it is inherited to you correct?

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "private sale"? If he's going to buy it in PA and then sell it to you without doing a formal transfer in Maryland, it sounds like a straw purchase to me.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    You must go through a FFL.
    to use msp barracks both people must have md drivers license

it's unfortunately all very confusing when it shouldn't be... my dad (va resident) has been trying to give me his m&p 9c since he picked up a shield. we've gone to the msp barracks and were told we had to use an ffl despite post #38 of this thread;http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=2260714#post2260714

Thanks for the response. However, I'm not a MD resident and my son is. I've transferred weapons to him using the method I previously mentioned.
    i.e. MSP barracks transfer

then we tried an ffl who said it couldn't be transfered as a gift becasue it was between states! they wanted to buy it from my dad and then sell it to me! i don't think i believe that's the way it's suppose to go but it was late enough in the day that we didn't feel like driving around to find a ffl that would do the transfer.

oh maryland... :sad20:

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    you know an hbar has a lower in it, and its cash and carry?
    just sayin

Don't wanna spend all that money right now. I just want a couple of lowers, that I do not want to build yet but will in the future.

vcaddy05

Apr 18, 2013
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what do you mean by "private sale"? If he's going to buy it in PA and then sell it to you without doing a formal transfer in Maryland, it sounds like a straw purchase to me.

Well I am thinking a few things here. He could purchase it and keep it and we would build it. Or my main plan was he would purchase it, avoiding the long wait of the background check here in Maryland. Then we would do a transfer which I was thinking might not have to do the long wait, but just take it to the MSP barracks and have them transfer it to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom