Question about selling a regulated rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I purchased a gsg-5 before they were regulated. If I post it up forsale, Can I sell it face to face or does it have to go threw the Baracks or a Gun Shop.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    That's quite interesting. You bought and own it legally yet you can't buy another yet. How lame is that? My guess would be contact the MSP firearms division don't just go to a random barracks.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    A thought would be selling out of state. Slap it up on gunbroker, sale it, take the rifle to your FFL, and have him/her ship it for you.

Another thought would be give it to the FFL to sale on a consignment basis.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Just another example of how caddywhompus the whole MD gun situation is.

It's not so caddywhompus. It's just a case of over-zealous bureaucrats arbitrarily deciding that a "copy" of a firearm essentially means "anything that looks cosmetically similar, to a casual observer with zero actual knowledge of firearms."

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Yea. I was just wondering how it would work. I mean the gun is registered to me. I have all of the paperwork for the gun..

if you bought it "unregulated" then how is it "registered" to you?

only regulated guns are registered.

either have your dad sell it or sell it out of state.

take it to a VA gun show with a for sale sign on it and just sell it face to face.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I purchased a gsg-5 before they were regulated. If I post it up forsale, Can I sell it face to face or does it have to go threw the Baracks or a Gun Shop.

Actually, in the opinion of many they still aren't regulated.:) It's just that someone at MSP wants them to be a copy of a regulated HK. MSP has no authority whatsoever to add to the list of regulated firearms. Only the legislature can do that. But yeah, I'd say to be safe go through a barrack or a dealer and treat is as a regulated firearm to keep yourself out of any possible jackpot.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County

Well, since you legally bought it cash and carry (dealer paperwork of course) you should have all the proof you need to sell it FTF since the law hasn't changed.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Well, since you legally bought it cash and carry (dealer paperwork of course) you should have all the proof you need to sell it FTF since the law hasn't changed.

Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that was ok to do if choose to do so. I thought since I filled out all of the paperwork at the gun store, that means it is registered to me.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    if you bought it "unregulated" then how is it "registered" to you?

only regulated guns are registered.

either have your dad sell it or sell it out of state.

take it to a VA gun show with a for sale sign on it and just sell it face to face.

VERY ILLEGAL advice here. You can NOT sell a firearm to a resident of another state face to face. MUST go through a FFL.

Now, would a VA FFL be willing to transfer the gun in VA, I have no clue. They might see the evil black gun and say no.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thats what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that was ok to do if choose to do so. I thought since I filled out all of the paperwork at the gun store, that means it is registered to me.

I'm saying you should have proof to make a good argument should some prosecutor ever want to make a point with you. It would probably cost you a lot of money in legal fees and a lot of time but you should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom