• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    http://www.slickguns.com/product/ras-12-upper-receiver-kit-181-inch-barrel-and-8-round-magazine-1167

intrep.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    RAS-12 is it's own caliber?:wtf:

I'll pass.

With mags like that on an AR-10 type action, you really have to worry about the rims on a 12 gauge shell getting caught up against each other and the gn jamming. The proprietary ammo is to alleviate this problem. In a self defense scenario, I do not want to have to worry about whether my firearm is going to feed additional rounds or not, and I certainly do not want to have to deal with a jam.

The proprietary ammo puts the rim of the shell in line with the body of the hull. Pretty much like most rifle and handgun ammo. I can think of some larger rifle cartridges that have rims a la the standard 12 gauge shell, but not many.

I actually like the gun.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    3bucks/ round. Looks good, but the expensive proprietary ammo killed it for me.

Meh, I just went to their website and read up on it. 5 round mag. I guess it is easier to put another mag in the RAS-12 versus loading the tube on the Benelli M-4. $3 a round is pretty steep unless you have no intention of using the gun for anything other than self defense (i.e., 20 rounds will probably last you a lifetime).

At $2,000 just for the upper and $3 per round, there are plenty of cheaper options available that will work almost as well, if not better. Who knows, maybe they can get that price for a little while, while the product is new and novel and people purchase on the wow factor instead of the common sense factor.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Depends. Possibly 3-gun Heavy Metal Optics Division where you are already using a .308 semi anyway. For regular 3-gun an MK1919A AR shotgun makes more sense if you want a mag fed shotgun.

The problem with the mag fed shotguns is that it is possible for the rims of the shell to catch on one another in the mag. The rims on shotgun shells are not like the rims on most handgun and rifle cartridges. The shotgun rims stick out beyond the plastic body of the shell. As a result, they can get caught on one another when feeding from a mag. That is the reason for the proprietary ammo for a mag fed shotgun. Don't have this issue with a tube fed shotgun.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Ya I had the same reaction on proprietary ammo. Probably why buds is clearing them out at $667

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Ya I had the same reaction on proprietary ammo. Probably why buds is clearing them out at $667

At $667 I was actually thinking about getting one. Then I took a closer look at the ammo. How does that cartridge work like a shotgun when the sabot has a nose cone on it as if it was a bullet? How do the pellets separate from the nose cone to give a little room for error?

Meh, too many questions to even waste $667 on right now. Damn, I really thought it was a great concept when I first read about it a couple months ago. Now, I'm not so sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom