• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    I'm looking to see who out there got their CCW permit without showing that you carry "large" sums of cash, are a doctor/pharmacist or have been threatened/assaulted. I'm a Realtor and with the current market (short sales, foreclosures, vacant homes) I feel the need for my CCW more than ever. I've had clients who wanted to go to areas in Baltimore to see vacant, boarded up homes, and once we arrive, we see extension cords running through windows and belongings in the property. I can't stand it when I go into a neighborhood and know that most of the people who are watching me probably have a piece. If there are any Realtors on this forum who've gotten their permits to carry, let me know how the process went for you.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Years ago knew Realator w/ CCW, but he got it on basis of collecting rents in cash .

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Write them a letter explaining your situation and 'good cause', they should respond acceptable/insufficient. Also list open houses, sitting around for hours with nice stuff and the door unlocked.

Fear for your personal safety is not going to be enough to get you the permit. It HAS to be financial. Your life alone isn't "valuable" enough....

As far as the large cash deposits, you could keep an extra $1,000 or two in the bank, and every other day withdraw it in varrying amounts, then redeposit it the next day. That will give you the cash deposit history that you can show proof of...

You WILL be asked about your business in the interview though, and the cash.... What you decide to do then is up to you.

Some people will say that an honorable man must honor all laws, even unjust ones. Others will say that an honorable man is absolved from obeying an intentioanally unjust law.

You have to decide who you are.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Fear for your personal safety is not going to be enough to get you the permit. It HAS to be financial. Your life alone isn't "valuable" enough....

As far as the large cash deposits, you could keep an extra $1,000 or two in the bank, and every other day withdraw it in varrying amounts, then redeposit it the next day. That will give you the cash deposit history that you can show proof of...

You WILL be asked about your business in the interview though, and the cash.... What you decide to do then is up to you.

Some people will say that an honorable man must honor all laws, even unjust ones. Others will say that an honorable man is absolved from obeying an intentioanally unjust law.

You have to decide who you are.

I would try that, but I'm sure they're going to ask where the cash is coming from. Also, I really don't want to have to lie/fudge the facts to get the permit. If they come back and ask or when I have to renew if they decide to "audit" me, I don't want to look like I deceived them.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    When I bought my house, the earnest money on the house was only about 1,500 dollars. Couldn't you say that your just depositing/holding/withdrawing client's earnest money?

I do not encouraging disobeying the law. Manipulation of the rules to your favor is usually ok, but downright disobeying of the law I do not encourage.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The problem without dealing with cash is that the reason sounds a lot like self-defense. We all know how Maryland is anti-self defense.

RealtorMatt

As you can tell by my name, I am a realtor as well. I am also looking to obtain my CCW.

Here are the reasons I plan on giving for needing a CCW:

Carrying large settlement checks to and from settlement. (In excess of $30,000 in many cases)

Taking Earnest Money Deposits from clients and carrying them around to deposit.

Having to visit in-process foreclosure homes and offer the owner "Cash for Keys" to leave peacefully or let them know the bank will be changing the locks on them. (I have offered $5000+ in these situations)

Recently had a foreclosure listing where the previous owners friends were still in the property vandalizing and stealing from it. We had to call the police and go to court against these folks (who had violent criminal records)

I have a few other cases I could use in regards to personal safety, however they were not documented by the police so I doubt I could use them.

Based on the above info, does that sound like a likely scenario in which they would consider me for a CCW?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    What about having your head real estate agent (unless you are that person, then you are a business owner), writing a letter stating that you sell houses where threats have been made against the property, the bank, the repossession agents, the real estate agents, ect (which from the sounds of it, is partially or whole heartedly true). Additionally, you do infrequently deal with large sums of money for yourself and in escrow for clients at times of closing.

A family friend works repos for a bank in the area, and has contemplated getting a signed affidavit from his employer stating that it is a "requirement" for the job considering the circumstances. Just another angle to work for ya.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    If your a buisness owner, you can carry in your place of buisness (the real estate office) but I doubt the court would consider properties you don't own an office but it would be an interesting test case in a post McDonald world.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As a bussiness owner generally , probably not hard to get a permit restricted to to & from a triangle of residence(yours), office, and bank . Real estate is a wide umbrella, the person referenced above had amn endevor that included commercial rentals and developement/ construction. So he could show collecting rents from small bussinesses, and making payments to subcontractors for dealing with cash. The sterotypical buying and selling of existing homes is a leap.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    When I bought my house, the earnest money on the house was only about 1,500 dollars. Couldn't you say that your just depositing/holding/withdrawing client's earnest money?

I do not encouraging disobeying the law. Manipulation of the rules to your favor is usually ok, but downright disobeying of the law I do not encourage.

Now a days there really is not cash used in real estate transactions. Most of everything is done with checks or direct deposit. Also, I don't personally deposit checks, I turn them into the office and a courier takes them to the bank. I do typically have ernest money deposits from buyers with me($1,000 to $10,000) and I do deliver selltelement proceeds to sellers( could range anywhere from $5,000 to $300,000). Just ridiculous that personal safety is not important enough for citizens to be able to insure peace of mind and be prepared for the rare confrontation. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    As you can tell by my name, I am a realtor as well. I am also looking to obtain my CCW.

Here are the reasons I plan on giving for needing a CCW:

Carrying large settlement checks to and from settlement. (In excess of $30,000 in many cases)

Taking Earnest Money Deposits from clients and carrying them around to deposit.

Having to visit in-process foreclosure homes and offer the owner "Cash for Keys" to leave peacefully or let them know the bank will be changing the locks on them. (I have offered $5000+ in these situations)

Recently had a foreclosure listing where the previous owners friends were still in the property vandalizing and stealing from it. We had to call the police and go to court against these folks (who had violent criminal records)

I have a few other cases I could use in regards to personal safety, however they were not documented by the police so I doubt I could use them.

Based on the above info, does that sound like a likely scenario in which they would consider me for a CCW?

You're asking the wrong group. I would think so, but then again I think the constant travels into areas notoriously now for crime, and gang related crime at that, would be reason enough. I work in and around Baltimore all the time and I have no clue how the MSP can tell me that I'm not in any danger. The city police can't even protect little kids walking across the street and the MSP doesn't cover Baltimore City either!

phillywilly

May 30, 2008
    Germantown
    I run into the same issues in DC and I am also starting to run across lock boxes that have been busted open (the blue sentry boxes). I know it is not as good as being properly armed but I stopped carrying my little but bright fenex flashlight in favor or my old 3 d cell maglight. Not a great light but a nice club and hard for any one to say anything about you carrying it into a house. Not a gun but better then just your **** in your hand

obiii

Jun 2, 2010
    Allegany County, MD
    CCW Permit

Does anybody know if transporting high dollar cargo would allow you to apply for a CCW permit? I am an employee working for a company based in NY. I live in Maryland, and my vehicle is a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, with around $75,000.00 in parts and equipment. Laptop, GPS, etc.. I don't carry larges sums of cash, but I have to go places like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and in a lot of these areas I just don't "fit in". Any thoughts, suggestions?

OB

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Does anybody know if transporting high dollar cargo would allow you to apply for a CCW permit? I am an employee working for a company based in NY. I live in Maryland, and my vehicle is a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer, with around $75,000.00 in parts and equipment. Laptop, GPS, etc.. I don't carry larges sums of cash, but I have to go places like Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington DC, and in a lot of these areas I just don't "fit in". Any thoughts, suggestions?

OB

I asked the same thing of a firm that does the MSP training and assists in applying for the CCW permit. He told me that the State Police will tell you that equipment and valuables can be insured and you shouldn't even try to protect them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom