• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    VFG under 16" needs a stamp, AFG is OK without a stamp

No rifle stock, VFG, and the OAL is greater than 26", a tax stamp is not required. It is just a Title 1 firearm.

No rifle stock, VFG, and the OAL is less than 26", it is considered concealable (AOW) and an NFA tax stamp is required.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    If you really want to dig into building an AR pistol I recommend reading this thread. http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116795

The ATF letters can be found in the above listed thread.

My AR pistol has a 7.5 inch barrel, Phase 5 buffer assembly on a PSA stripped lower. I have an Eotech 512 as the primary optic and Magpul BUIS as a back up. The lower parts kit is made by White Oak and has anALG ACT trigger purchased from Weapons Outfitters. I also installed a Magpul BAD lever, ASAP end plate and a Hogue rubber pistol grip.

For the record I do not know the barrel/upper maker. I purchased the complete upper for an SBR build from a member here on MDS and he got it from a VA gun show. The price was right and allowed me to keep this build under $700.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    Phase 5 with the supplied buffer and spring works great with my 10" Noveske both suppressed and unsuppressed with subsonic 220's.

2a17ed60-3225-47dc-9532-84d822abb1f5_zpsf7663326.jpg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    No rifle stock, VFG, and the OAL is greater than 26", a tax stamp is not required. It is just a Title 1 firearm.

No rifle stock, VFG, and the OAL is less than 26", it is considered concealable (AOW) and an NFA tax stamp is required.

A Title 1 firearm is one that just requires a 4473 and no need for any special ATF paperwork/approval, right?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    A Title 1 firearm is one that just requires a 4473 and no need for any special ATF paperwork/approval, right?

Correct.

What I was trying to explain is that you can attach a vertical forward grip to an AR-15 pistol as long as it has a OAL greater than 26" and is would not subject to the AOW/NFA tax stamp because it is not concealable upon the body. Here is the ATF letter concerning this subject.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Correct.

What I was trying to explain is that you can attach a vertical forward grip to an AR-15 pistol as long as it has a OAL greater than 26" and is would not subject to the AOW/NFA tax stamp because it is not concealable upon the body. Here is the ATF letter concerning this subject.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Can you recommend an appropriate minimum barrel length to still be able to get to the 26" OAL so if I chose to use a vertical foregrip I would still be legal? I'm leaning towards the Spike's pistol buffer kit that Joe Bob's has if that helps.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Remember Barrel Length is determined with the MUZZLE DEVICE removed. Unless the Muzzle Device is PINNED and Welded it does not count for OAL.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not that you are, but if you plan to, I would be careful about building ANY Pistol AR with a barrel over 16" (So you can install a FVG). Maryland considers firearms with barrels shorter than 16" Pistols, thus the build would be legal post SB281 since its a Pistol. If the barrel is longer than 16" it could be construed as building a BANNED AR15 firearm configuration since its not a pistol anymore per MD law. Im sure if the Lower was purchased pre 10/1 you would be ok, but I wanted the throw that out there.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Not that you are, but if you plan to, I would be careful about building ANY Pistol AR with a barrel over 16" (So you can install a FVG). Maryland considers firearms with barrels shorter than 16" Pistols, thus the build would be legal post SB281 since its a Pistol. If the barrel is longer than 16" it could be construed as building a BANNED AR15 firearm configuration since its not a pistol anymore per MD law. Im sure if the Lower was purchased pre 10/1 you would be ok, but I wanted the throw that out there.

Gotcha. Thanks Chad.

I guess I'm going to be content with a Magbul AFG2, when I decide to get started with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom