• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    I would like to be able to get a good look out to 100 yards.

I was looking at Konus and I have one of their scopes and love it but other scopes less than $250

rafael

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 28, 2013
    I bought a Pentax from B and H Photo... but it was expensive and probably overkill for 100 yards. Link:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Spotting-Scopes/ci/5474/N/4232860448

this is the one I bought....Pentax PF-80ED-A Angled Spotting Scope and I can see the rings of Saturn.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871217-REG/Pentax_KU70115_PF_80ED_A_Spotting_Scope.html

they have decent prices, so check out what else they have. Nikon, Bushnell, or Leopold

here is an educational read that was helpful to me:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/spotterreview.html

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    I love my Konus 80mm. I paid less then $200 for it a couple of years ago.

I can read the mirage easily down range also can usually pick out .223 holes at 200 yds (depending on how shot up the target is).

I even broke it out and was able to see Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings.

I think it's a great scope for the money. It's not a Kowa, but then it's only 1/4 the cost.

Optics Planet - Konus Konuspot 20-60x80mm $209 shipped

Rob.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Every sub-$250 spotting scope I've tried in the past years has been a POS. The low-end variable eyepieces that usually come with them are awful. In that price range, you'd be way better off buying a used LOMO Astele 95mm telescope (fragile) and wrapping it in heavy padding or bubble wrap for range use.

I have the Pentax PF-80EDA, with the XW20 eyepiece. It blows away the cheap stuff.

Try to buy something that accepts standard 1.25" eyepieces, since it gives you endless options. Most spotting scopes have proprietary eyepieces, meaning you're hosed if the eyepiece is junk or doesn't work well for you (i.e. miniscule eye relief).

8milimeter

RICHARD (dino)
    Feb 15, 2009
    Frederick, Md
    scope

The Konuspot-65 15-45x65 Angled Spotting Scope is what I use and recommend. At 100 yards it perfect and works well at 200. Its light and small and inexpensive. I have a Pentax 80 ED. It sits at home unless I am shooting past 200 yards. If you plan on shooting offhand a lighter scope is better. The larger scopes weight makes them prone to wobble.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/konus-konuspot-7116.html

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Konus gets good reviews in the low cost range.

I may be selling our Vortex Nomad this winter. It works fine out to 200 - 300 yards on paper, but for long range tactical, it does not have the resolution or contract.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    I am looking for one, as well. Prefer to keep it around $100.00, however. I would like to be able to go out to 300 yards. At that price point, it doesn't have to be perfectly clear, just able to see holes in paper and an occasional pretty bird.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am looking for one, as well. Prefer to keep it around $100.00, however. I would like to be able to go out to 300 yards. At that price point, it doesn't have to be perfectly clear, just able to see holes in paper and an occasional pretty bird.

You'll regret $100 Chinese junk. It will have a bad eyepiece and the main body will have cheap glass with poor light transmission and severe distortion off of center. When used outdoors, especially at dusk, night, or rainy/damp, it will readily fog, condense on the inside, and parts will break off without trying. Expect to have debris on the inside collecting on the glass, enough to make the scope unusable for identifying tiny features like bullet holes at a distance. You're better off grinding up $100 of paper bills and smoking it. My advice is to look for a quality used one that's ugly and beat on but otherwise functional.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Its a cheap one but didn't look terrible ollies had a spotting scope for 44.95

I know I know buy once cry once but if you need one and can't find the extra money it would work. For 100 yards I see no issues but if you want to see a .22 at 200 prob not the right choice. It was a 20-60 btw.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods
    You'll regret $100 Chinese junk. It will have a bad eyepiece and the main body will have cheap glass with poor light transmission and severe distortion off of center. When used outdoors, especially at dusk, night, or rainy/damp, it will readily fog, condense on the inside, and parts will break off without trying. Expect to have debris on the inside collecting on the glass, enough to make the scope unusable for identifying tiny features like bullet holes at a distance. You're better off grinding up $100 of paper bills and smoking it. My advice is to look for a quality used one that's ugly and beat on but otherwise functional.

Thank you. I am sure that you are correct. Tight on cash for the holiday season.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Understood. Just trying to save you a headache. I could have bought another 80mm Pentax for what I wasted on several cheap scopes that became unusable after a few trips to the range and field with "kid gloves" treatment.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I recently bought this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Simm...otting+scope&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

It really is not a bad scope for the money and it comes with a usable tripod, camera adapter, and a nice hard storage box. Cabelas had it on sale for $60 when I bought it. Surprisingly clear optics, especially at 20x. No this isn't a high-end spotting scope by any means. I wanted a scope to see bullet holes and targets at 100-200 yards on overcast and sunny days and I think this will be the ticket.

I bought a cheap barska spotting scope on a complete whim, and that thing is pretty useless. I can make out 30 cal holes at 100 yards if I try REALLY hard, but that is it.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I recently bought this one:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Simm...otting+scope&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

It really is not a bad scope for the money and it comes with a usable tripod, camera adapter, and a nice hard storage box. Cabelas had it on sale for $60 when I bought it. Surprisingly clear optics, especially at 20x. No this isn't a high-end spotting scope by any means. I wanted a scope to see bullet holes and targets at 100-200 yards on overcast and sunny days and I think this will be the ticket.

I bought a cheap barska spotting scope on a complete whim, and that thing is pretty useless. I can make out 30 cal holes at 100 yards if I try REALLY hard, but that is it.

Have you used this one at the range and how many times? I'm just looking to be able to make out .223 holes at 100 yards. How clear is this scope? For 100 bucks I am tempted, but am weary that it will only last for a few outings or not be quite up to snuff.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Have you used this one at the range and how many times? I'm just looking to be able to make out .223 holes at 100 yards. How clear is this scope? For 100 bucks I am tempted, but am weary that it will only last for a few outings or not be quite up to snuff.

I have the same one (and might have gotten a $10-20 rebate off a $60 sales price - it is one that might be cheap again during Black Friday sales). Mine is only for range use and seeing .22/.223/5.7x28mm/.308/.357 holes at 50 and 100 yards. I have bad eyes, but it does the trick for me, even in late evening light, and with the smallest bullets at the 100 yard distance. Clarity and light pass through isn't as good as my Nikon Monarch scope, but it does the job.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this because of the crappy shooting, but attached is a cell phone pic through the lens at a 50 yard target. Cell phone camera had trouble focusing, but the spotting scope was sharp when I was eyeballing it. I was trying to get a feel for the iron sights in a new Ruger 77/357 that I was shooting offhand. Often take pics of how well/poorly I perform when learning with a new rifle so I can gauge progress. Usually do it of just the target after shooting, but was screwing around a bit that day.

buzytagy.jpg
    qane8a2a.jpg

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD

What Boom-Boom said :thumbsup:

A cheap one will probably work pretty good out to 100 and might be semi-OK to 200 yds with something bigger than .223, but when you get to 300 yds, it's becoming a different ball game. As stated distortion is significant ....especially so out near the edges in any I've seen. even some of the 'step up' scopes in the $200 - $300 range might have issues with something like .223 at 300 yds

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Its a cheap one but didn't look terrible ollies had a spotting scope for 44.95

I know I know buy once cry once but if you need one and can't find the extra money it would work. For 100 yards I see no issues but if you want to see a .22 at 200 prob not the right choice. It was a 20-60 btw.
    Even my very old Tasco did OK at 100 yds. 22 and 223 were sometimes a bit difficult to discern in a black bullseye, but you could usually make them out. My current Burris does pretty well even with .223 out to 200 yd. I haven't used it beyond that since I've had it (about a year and a 1/2.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Even my very old Tasco did OK at 100 yds. 22 and 223 were sometimes a bit difficult to discern in a black bullseye, but you could usually make them out. My current Burris does pretty well even with .223 out to 200 yd. I haven't used it beyond that since I've had it (about a year and a 1/2.

And many/most people seldom/perhaps won't ever use one past 200 yards. With glass, you'll pay high dollars for high quality. But what your needs are is the primary concern that dictates what you'll need to spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom