• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    What is a prism optic? I can't find an explanation anywhere.
    I'm still searching for a red dot type optic that I like. I've seen some Vortex sales with a circle and dot which is what I liked about my EOTech. I was liking one of the Vortex models then saw it only ad 4" of eye relief, not unlimited parallax. I really have trouble with the single dot models.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    It's 1/2 of a binocular turned on its side. Instead of light passing through in a straight line. It zig zags via a prism to allow for a shorter design. ( pirate telescope vs binoculars. )

That's my simple analogy .

ACOGs are prismatic scopes. Most are fixed power as the design won't allow for an efficient way of adjusting internal lenses to allow for variable zoom and stay within the compact design.

The reticle on prismatic scopes are etched or affixed to the lenses. While your Eotech projects a laser reticle into a reflective lens. The nice thing about prismatic scopes, reticles still works without batteries.

The only drawback is that it's still subject to eye relief. Because it's a magnified optic.( leupold makes a 1x version that's still requires eye relief)You're still bound to place your eye into the sweet spot to get the big picture and it's not parallax free like red dots or collimating sights.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If you have an astigmatism it's the only way to get a crisp dot optic. Traditional red dots are blurry or fuzzy. Personally I see a cluster of undefined grapes on optics like an Aimpoint.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I'm looking for something with unlimited parallax. Non magnified. Just having a hrs time finding something with a circle dot or horse shoe dot.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    If you have an astigmatism it's the only way to get a crisp dot optic. Traditional red dots are blurry or fuzzy. Personally I see a cluster of undefined grapes on optics like an Aimpoint.
    That's why I put an Aimpoint on one of my AR-15s: my wife has the same kind of eye problem. She is deadly accurate with a pistol, but not with a rifle, unless it has a AimPoint.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks. I was just looking at one of these on Amazon last nite. $239. If I ever get my EOTech refunds I think I'll give it a try.
    I talked to EOTech last week. There's a big batch of checks going out this week for many of the January returns.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. I went ahead and sent my 2nd one in last week. Just thought I'd chance it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom