Registering guns is illegal. Why has this not gone to court yet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    According to the Firearm Owners Protection Act signed by Regan in 1986 it is illegal for the government to keep a registry of firearms.

No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or dispositions be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary’s [1] authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926

So why are we letting them do this on a Federal and State level?

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Because many politicians and people who work for the government believe that they are above the law, and not bound by it.

This isn't sarcasm or rhetoric - there is truly a mindset out there that believes if the government does it, it must be legal.

And sadly, laws like the one you describe carry no penalties for their violation, to give them teeth.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I will never register my guns regardless of any unconstitutional infringements or illegal legislation passed by domestic enemies of our constitution.
    And that's a promise!

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    I will never register my guns regardless of any unconstitutional infringements or illegal legislation passed by domestic enemies of our constitution.
    And that's a promise!

If you buy regulated firearms in MD, we now can be reasonably sure there is a registry.

In the SJPC last week, one of the amendments accepted was to remove the long gun registration requirement. The comment was made (paraphrasing) that people would not need to register them AGAIN.

So we, the Great Unwashed, need keepers who obviously know better how we should live our lives.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    If you buy regulated firearms in MD, we now can be reasonably sure there is a registry.

In the SJPC last week, one of the amendments accepted was to remove the long gun registration requirement. The comment was made (paraphrasing) that people would not need to register them AGAIN.

So we, the Great Unwashed, need keepers who obviously know better how we should live our lives.

I caught that also. In other words they know what you have.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Currently there is no registry of firearms in Maryland.

I would have to say that there is otherwise they would not have accepted this amendment.

Amendment 4 to SB281

AMENDMENT NO. 4
    On page 9, strike beginning with “A” in line 10 down through “(3)” in line 14 and substitute “(I)”; in line 18, strike “(I)” and substitute “1.”; in line 20, strike “(II)” and substitute “2.”; and after line 27, insert:
    “(II) A PERSON WHO PURCHASED AN ASSAULT LONG GUN BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013, AND REGISTERED THE ASSAULT LONG GUN WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE POLICE IS NOT REQUIRED TO REREGISTER THE ASSAULT LONG GUN UNDER THIS SUBSECTION.”.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Currently there is no registry of firearms in Maryland.

The Maryland State Police apparently keeps and enters into a database, all the MSP77 forms, in violation of federal law.

O'Malley demonstrated an interactive map, during a conference of LEO's a couple of years ago, that he proudly claimed showed where gun owners lived.

I wonder what would happen if we put together a website that showed where all the creepy, Big-Brother politicians live?

Mr H

Good cite.

Apparently, all this time, "Voluntary" only applied to any firearm brought into the state from elsewhere, or purchased before the program began.

We certainly suspected as much, but the curtain has slowly been pulled back.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia

Wouldn't the state have to admit they've kept an illegal registry for years if this is the case?

Mr H

Wouldn't the state have to admit they've kept an illegal registry for years if this is the case?

It's Maryland. IMO, they don't care.

Besides, no one's pushed the issue.

Look at the SCOTUS today... DNA collection. just another example of how MD has no qualms about trampling the individual.

Yesterday in the Senate, the proposed law to keep MTA from recording audo on public transportation was defeated, with Lisa Gladden insisting it's critical to public safety.

They don't care.

They also hate that we push back on gun rights.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    It's Maryland. IMO, they don't care.

Besides, no one's pushed the issue.

Look at the SCOTUS today... DNA collection. just another example of how MD has no qualms about trampling the individual.

Yesterday in the Senate, the proposed law to keep MTA from recording audo on public transportation was defeated, with Lisa Gladden insisting it's critical to public safety.

They don't care.

They also hate that we push back on gun rights.

The King and his Throne:sad20:

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    I read the copy of my MSP form 77R-2 that I had filled out AFTER I picked up firearm. Section One was labeled "voluntary registration". I, like a dummy filled in the blanks without reading the Section title. I now wonder if the application would have even been submitted had I refused to fill out Section One of MSP for 77R-2 ,and if it was accepted "blank" and submitted, would it have been returned "not disapproved"? By labeling the section as "voluntary registration" I assume they keep the record but since it was "voluntary" it is a legal record.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I read the copy of my MSP form 77R-2 that I had filled out AFTER I picked up firearm. Section One was labeled "voluntary registration". I, like a dummy filled in the blanks without reading the Section title. I now wonder if the application would have even been submitted had I refused to fill out Section One of MSP for 77R-2 ,and if it was accepted "blank" and submitted, would it have been returned "not disapproved"? By labeling the section as "voluntary registration" I assume they keep the record but since it was "voluntary" it is a legal record.

You would not have been able to purchase that firearm without 'voluntarilly' registering it.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    The Maryland State Police apparently keeps and enters into a database, all the MSP77 forms, in violation of federal law.

O'Malley demonstrated an interactive map, during a conference of LEO's a couple of years ago, that he proudly claimed showed where gun owners lived.

I wonder what would happen if we put together a website that showed where all the creepy, Big-Brother politicians live?

I think an interactive map of all the anti-gunners would be a wonderful thing. Addresses complete with a 'google' maps picture would certainly be helpful.

Let's do it for the criminal's children.:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom