• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    I am really trying to understand some of the MD gun laws. It is my understanding that you can now purchase a stripped AR15 lower but it is considered a "regulated" firearm and you need to do all of the MD paperwork as you would with a handgun purchase.

But it is also my understanding that you can purchase a complete AR15 "MD compliant" model "no flash hider, expandable stock, etc." and this type of purchase is handled like any other standard long gun purchase where you simply fill out the federal paperwork and out the door you go.

Both items can be made into a non-compliant version, why regulate one and not the other??????

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    OK to correct you a bit, what you call a MD compliant AR15 is actually known as an HBAR, which has a heavy barrel and yes it can have a flash hider and and maybe a collapsible stiock. Search up and read any of the dozens of threads here about those. This configuration has only one evil feature (flash hider) as defined in MD law therefore does not trip the copycat test as you have to have two. It escapes the named banned list because it is a copy of a colt sporter HBAR which is specifically excepted from the banned list.

Please please let's not start another HBAR thread here. It is what it is and has been thoroughly debated.

As to why you have to buy a stripped lower as regulated when it could be build into a non-regulated HBAR, that is a good question.

I think the answer is because you "might" build it into a regulated handgun is why they won't sell it unless you do the paperwork on it.

A few months ago, we couldn't even buy these any more BTW.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    In short, that lower can be both a rifle or pistol. So they make you go through the more extensive pistol process.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you use either the stripped lower or unregulated HBAR to make a banned non compliant weapon you will be breaking the law and I suspect they will come down very heavy on you. The lower can be legally made into either a pistol or an HBAR the same as a Thompson Center Contender or Encore frame can be made into either a pistol or rifle configuration so they treat them all as pistols.

Feb 28, 2013
    there's your problem right there, you're trying to make sense of MD gun laws!

You mean like, why a folding stock is ok on a mini 30 but not a mini 14?:whack:

That makes PERFECT sense, donchaknow?

The mini 14 with a folding stock looks like something that was used once on TV. That alone just makes EVERYTHING more deadly.:rolleyes:

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    In short, that lower can be both a rifle or pistol. So they make you go through the more extensive pistol process.

Any firearm "can be" a handgun. If we accept MSP's logic on this, everything will be be "regulated". Their old logic was "a lower is itself an Assault Weapon under PS 5-101(r)(2)". Well we know that can't be true, as you can still buy them. A lower itself cannot be a handgun either.

A remington 700 can be legally chopped after a Form 1 into an SBR (a MD-defined handgun). Do we need to do a 77R on all guns now?

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    You mean like, why a folding stock is ok on a mini 30 but not a mini 14?:whack:

That makes PERFECT sense, donchaknow?

The mini 14 with a folding stock looks like something that was used once on TV. That alone just makes EVERYTHING more deadly.:rolleyes:

And a folding stock, a bayonet lug and a removable/replaceable muzzle brake are fine and dandy on a 7.62 x 39 VZ2008, but AKs are banned????

RUOMO10

Dec 16, 2012
    Maryland
    Shhhhh no one say anything about the VZ58/2008 ;) just kidding! That's something to purchase if they ever figure it out. But in theory you could purchase a lower and throw whatever you wanted on it....but that's illegal here.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    VZ's just weren't seen in enough movies to make them dangerous.:rolleyes:

lordofwar5.jpg

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    From what I understand, OP (and I've asked this question too many times, probably) you can build that lower into a pistol, change it later into a rifle, then back to a pistol, if you wish. However, you cannot go from rifle (as original build) and convert it into a pistol. How anyone would know this did or did not happen is still one of the great mysteries of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom