Reliable 25.06 ammo for whitetail - any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Capt-D

Aug 13, 2012
    Just picked up a Savage 25.06. I do not reload so i'm looking for a reliable off the shelf round for deer hunting. Whacha got?

-D

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    .25-06 is a plenty capable round, you'll be fine with pretty much any proper hunting load. I'd be looking in the 120-130 grain ballpark. 130 is a very popular .270 load.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I shoot federal ammo out of mine. Has taken many a deer successfully. I shoot a Sig shr970 chambered in .25-06. The federals shoot nice and accurately. Not a cheap round though. About $50/box of 20

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The .25-06 is a capable round , pretty much any non-varmit round will plenty for white tail at quasi average ranges.

For very long range you need to test in your rifle for nesecarry accuracy.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Not an answer for the question you are asking but, buy the time you buy 4 boxes of shells for that gun, you will already be darn near what a good single stage reloading kit would cost.

Gonna most likely take you 4 boxes to find a decent shooting round that the gun likes,another half box to zero and confirm to 200 and another box for your confirmations at longer distances. You've just went over the price for a pound of reloader 15,a 100 count box of 130gr hornady amax projectiles,100 count bag of brass and a tumbler.

It took me 6 shots yesterday to cook up a sub moa round for a 300 win mag.

Not saying you have to,but it makes sence to especially when you can make a round more accurate than anything on the market and not have to stand in line or even get in your car,FWIW... Just throwing it out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom