• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    In no way, shape or form am I a reloader but I am going to start soon and I found these videos really helpful. The only thing I did not find was a brass cleaning but the guy has a clear voice and videos are top notch so you dont fall asleep through them.
    These are mainly for precision loading 308 but it gives you the idea. The site also has a lot of other videos on reloading presses etc.
    www.UltimateReloader.com
    Types of Presses:

case prep

charging/priming

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    So what are the costs like to get started with reloading? Does it save money, or is this largely an issue of control?

/threadjack

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    So what are the costs like to get started with reloading? Does it save money, or is this largely an issue of control?

/threadjack

Reloading doesn't ever save money really .... it just makes your cost per round go down, but most people I know that reload don't save money because they shoot more often... if that makes sense.

As for cost ... you can get a decent setup for ~500 for 1 caliber if you pieced it together... add another ~40 for each other caliber.

The major cost for ammo assuming you do not cast your own lead is the bullet itself. Powder is cheap, cleaning your old brass is cheap ... and primers aren't as cheap but in comparison to the bullet, primers do not cost much at all.

After your first 1500 ish reloads, the savings will pay for the investment.

Now what are the benefits of reloading?

Cheaper cost per round
    More consistent shooting (same bullet / load each time)
    Fun

In regards tot he consistency, you might find your a more accurate shooter if you reload and find the right load for your weapon and shooting style. Many people are very surprised at first how much of a difference it is.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Cost issue made perfect sense. I was interested in a per round basis, since I figured cheaper rounds = more shooting.

How hard is it to cast bullets?

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Cost issue made perfect sense. I was interested in a per round basis, since I figured cheaper rounds = more shooting.

How hard is it to cast bullets?

Casting bullets is easy ... To be honest though there are many things to consider if your going to use lead casts...

1. cost of lead
    2. if you shoot at a "range" you may no be able to recover your lead and re-use
    3. does your weapon work well with lead (the barrel)
    4. are you ready for the "lead maintenance"? Maintaining a weapon that shoots lead is in my opinion a lot worse then 1 that shoots jacketed
    5. do you have a place to cast lead that is preferably away from people? You are indeed melting lead and making bullets, there is a mild danger with that

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Yeah, went and did some research after I posted that question. The difficulty (or not) of doing it is actually the least important question it seems.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Just got a 338 Lapua, so I definitely need to start loading

Absolutely .. Rifle rounds are a bit different then pistol rounds when it comes to reloading though. With a rifle round you must trim the brass, which requires more time and an higher initial investment (equipment). In addition due to the trimming the brass cannot be used as many times which will require you to either purchase new brass or purchase new rounds and use that brass until you cannot any more.

Keep in mind, pistol powder and rifle powder are completely different. I would not recommend reloading pistol and rifle in the same area at the same time. Those two items should be completely separate so you do not risk loading the wrong charge or powder type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom