Reloading for the Savage Model 10 FCP-SR (some questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Folks,

A good friend of mine just acquired the above referenced Savage :envy: and I'm going to help him break it in with some factory fodder and then work up some hand loads for him with the once-fired brass. Any recommendations on a powder to start out with? So far, I've read that IMR 4064, Varget and IMR 4895 are good for the .308, but I think this is mainly applicable to standard length barrels. This particular rifle has a 24" barrel, 1:10 twist, so I'm wondering which of these powders (or others) might be best to start out with?

I will also be using a hornaday OAL gage to get a seating depth off of the lands and wonder how far off of the rifiling some of you might be seating yours for best results (and safety, of course). We'll be starting with Sierra Match King Hollow points (168 grain).

So with that information as background, please give me your thoughts. I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who have reloaded for this particular rifle.

Thanks!

ST.243

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I have that rifle wearing a Bushnell Elite 4-12x40 scope. My basic target load is as follows: 165gr Remington Accutip bullet over 42.0gr of Varget. With this load I can easily make 1/2" groups at 100yds from a seated bench position (haven't tried it in prone).

PoPo3

Oct 26, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    I have that same rifle. I've had best results with 44.7 grains of varget with the 168s...however, anywhere between 42 and 45 should give you some good results. Good luck

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Thank you all. I continue to be amazed at what you can do with Varget. I currently use it for the 30.06 and the .22-250 but by all accounts, it seems to be really popular for the .308 in this application.

Thanks for the article, byf43. I will give it a read.

Best Regards,

ST.243

Mason-Dixon

Nov 26, 2011
    Both 4895's, IMR4064 and Varget are excellent powders for your 308. I'll throw one more into the mix for your consideration - RL15 42.0gr and your 168 Sierra.With this load I've shot some eye popping small groups out to 300 yds during good conditions. My Savage has a very short throat and OAL at 2.805" with my particular lot# of 168 Sierras they are .015 off. I am unable to find any accuracy difference between barely touching to .025 off with this rifle. I picked .015 off to compensate for the minor ogive length differences that occur within any given lot# of 168 Sierras. I've seperated them into individual lots by ogive length and tested them. After the testing I've satisfied myself that to shoot them out of the box, with no sorting, is no handicap to the accuracy of my particular rifle. Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom