Remington 700 - 308 Win (barrel swapped)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moose3rl

MDS Supporter
    Jan 4, 2022
    I am looking for a gunsmith I am in the Laurel area but would travel for the right person. I would like to have the barrel swapped its a Remington 700 - 308 Win. I already have a new factory barrel and I am not changing calibers. I'm just going from a bull barrel to a varmint barrel. Do you guys know an one that would do this and if so I would like to get a ball park cost to have it done. Also would you recommend having the rifle bore sited with the barrel change or should it be close enough to take to a range? Any references are appreciated.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I am looking for a gunsmith I am in the Laurel area but would travel for the right person. I would like to have the barrel swapped its a Remington 700 - 308 Win. I already have a new factory barrel and I am not changing calibers. I'm just going from a bull barrel to a varmint barrel. Do you guys know an one that would do this and if so I would like to get a ball park cost to have it done. Also would you recommend having the rifle bore sited with the barrel change or should it be close enough to take to a range? Any references are appreciated.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Please don't take it to Hanover Armory they don't know how to headspace anything correctly. Take it to Doug, it's a drive but you be thankful you did.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I don't have a recommendation, but it's really not that hard to do yourself. I've done it a few times now, swapping on factory takeoffs on a couple of 700s. You can get different thickness recoil lugs to adjust headspace if needed. You'd need a barrel vise, and an action wrench. 308 Go/NoGo gauges. First try it with the existing recoil lug. Sometimes you get lucky and simply screw on the new barrel and everything is good to go. Sometimes the factory barrels are a bear to get off. I had to cut one off.

Bore sight it your self. You can do it visually by pulling the bolt, and simply looking down the bore at a distant target. Adjust scope to coincide with what you see through the bore. It's that easy. Works on ARs too, or really any gun that you can look down the bore from the breach.

Moose3rl

MDS Supporter
    Jan 4, 2022
    I took it to Doug and he talked me out of doing it. The gun is better as I have it now. Thanks for the recommendation. Any one who will be an honest broker instead of just doing the job to make money is the best kind of person in my book. Doug secured all future business with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom