• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I just recently picked up a pair of these rifles to put on the shelf. I like the looks and feel of it, as well as the trigger pull. Ok, my questions. Has anyone here put one of these rifles to a true out of the box accuracy test? I am reading reviews that say .4" groups and smaller right out of the box with the right factory ammo. People are claiming easy .25" groups with the proper handloads, but still unmodified factory rifle. I would like to here from people who have long distance shooting experience, and how these rifles seem to be doing at 500 plus yards. I know I could build a custom 308 that could out shoot it, but for the price tag if it can do what I am reading I may pick one up for myself to test future suppressors and have some fun shooting at some distance. So let me know if you have any experience with these.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    many people here shoot the 700P, 700PSS, and SPS Tactical. they are good out of the box shooters, the only thing is the SPS Tactical has that 20'' barrel but it'll just take you a little more elevation to get there than the longer barrel brothers.

Also if you're going to make a precision rig i'd ditch that hogue overmolded stock and get you a standard 700P stock or nice mcmillan, manners, mcree, even a bell carlson will be better than the original stock.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Thanks. Eventually I will get around to building an all out percision rig, but for now I am leaning toward the SPS to hold me over.

jtarpley59

live free or die
    Jan 6, 2010
    Churchton
    I have a Rem 700 300 mag that will do it. It has been about a year scene I had her out it was 300 yards and it was in the size of quarter.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I have no experience with that platform, but my Wife does have an interesting observation about precision rifles....

She asked me once, how is it that you can hit a target the size of a basketball at 500 yards with a rifle, but you cant use your wang to pee into a toilet 3 feet in front of you without an accasional flyer? :lol2:

I have no answer for that. :lol2:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have a Remington 700 in 300 Ultramag already. Eventually I am going to blueprint it out and make it my go to long range rifle. But the SPS 308 is so much more compact, and in 308 will be cheaper and easier to shoot. Not to mention I intend to build a 308 suppressor for it at some point in the future.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I have no experience with that platform, but my Wife does have an interesting observation about precision rifles....

She asked me once, how is it that you can hit a target the size of a basketball at 500 yards with a rifle, but you cant use your wang to pee into a toilet 3 feet in front of you without an accasional flyer? :lol2:

I have no answer for that. :lol2:

Sounds like you are jerking the trigger :lol2::lol2::lol2:

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    Also if you're going to make a precision rig i'd ditch that hogue overmolded stock and get you a standard 700P stock or nice mcmillan, manners, mcree, even a bell carlson will be better than the original stock.

Do this. I love my Rifle and it is a nice compact package. Im tempted to have it cut and threaded and put a brake on it. There is definately more felt recoil in my experience because of the shorter barrel but I will take that for the compactness.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Do this. I love my Rifle and it is a nice compact package. Im tempted to have it cut and threaded and put a brake on it. There is definately more felt recoil in my experience because of the shorter barrel but I will take that for the compactness.

Mine will be threaded, but not to reduce recoil, to reduce all that noise :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

Nice rifle!

A Recoil Reducer in the stock and a softer pad will help remedy the hard recoil impulse.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I've had an SPS Tactical .308 for about a year and a half. Never fired it. Still haven't even put a scope on it. Maybe I'll do that this year.

Mil-Surp-Freak, some Qs: what are the scope, rings, and mount, is that an extended mag, and what's the acoustic in the corner?

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    many people here shoot the 700P, 700PSS, and SPS Tactical. they are good out of the box shooters, the only thing is the SPS Tactical has that 20'' barrel but it'll just take you a little more elevation to get there than the longer barrel brothers.

Am I to assume that these models mentioned above are all on Maryland's regulated long rifle list?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom